U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2009, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,062 times
Default How do I close the Flue on my gas fireplace?

I've seen similar posts prior... but nothing that exactly addresses my question. If I missed it, I apologize to the forum.

How do I close the flue on my gas fireplace... or do I need to? I feel cold air coming down from our chimeny so I'm guessing I do.

We have an enclosed Gas fireplace with fake logs. the fireplace is enclosed in a shell and has a glass front that can be removed for cleaning. There are fire embers that have to be put between the logs to keep the fire going. .... I'm hoping these details will explain to someone what kind of fireplace I have.... I have attached two pictures. 1 w/ the control panel down and 1 w/o. Also, the air is coming in primarily through the open space on top of the fireplace that is vacant as you can see in the picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
How do I close the Flue on my gas fireplace?-dscf1008.jpg   How do I close the Flue on my gas fireplace?-dscf1009.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,868,163 times
as
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckabooney View Post
I've seen similar posts prior... but nothing that exactly addresses my question. If I missed it, I apologize to the forum.

How do I close the flue on my gas fireplace... or do I need to? I feel cold air coming down from our chimeny so I'm guessing I do.

We have an enclosed Gas fireplace with fake logs. the fireplace is enclosed in a shell and has a glass front that can be removed for cleaning. There are fire embers that have to be put between the logs to keep the fire going. .... I'm hoping these details will explain to someone what kind of fireplace I have.... I have attached two pictures. 1 w/ the control panel down and 1 w/o. Also, the air is coming in primarily through the open space on top of the fireplace that is vacant as you can see in the picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I have a gas fireplace now and have had one before-as far as I know you do not have a flue that is only on a wood burning fire place. Why you are feeling cold air entering maybe some one can give advice as I have never had this with a gas fire place.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:24 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,231,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
as

I have a gas fireplace now and have had one before-as far as I know you do not have a flue that is only on a wood burning fire place. Why you are feeling cold air entering maybe some one can give advice as I have never had this with a gas fire place.
Quick note...Both my gas fireplaces have a flue/ damper/ full chimney and one of them has ALWAYS been gas...however it's a standard fire place with doors that open ect. Perhaps they are doing things differently now...my house is 15 years old.

Hopefully someone will know more about type of fireplace the OP has.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM

3,255 posts, read 10,070,733 times
You might be feeling the draft from the fresh air intake underneath the fireplace. Gas logs need a certain amount of fresh air for combustion, and it usually comes from outside. If you look outside, there is usually a little hood that kind of looks like a dryer vent.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 PM

981 posts, read 2,688,747 times
^ is there anything to do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House