U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,744,551 times
I am in Miami and I have a husband and wife team. They're in my house about 3-4 hrs every 2 weeks. I pay them $100. I have a 3/2.5 + family room. They do move furniture. Big items are alternated. One trip ceiling fans and windows, above blinds, baseboards, next trip curio cabinet,kitchen cabs, inside frig, etc. They always vacuum floors and furniture, mop, counters, bathrooms (2.5). clean blinds. No laundry. I do that. I also always "maintain" the every day, routine cleaning up and I don't let dirt accummulate. Everybody cleans up in my house. The cleaning couple get a fairly clean house to begin with but they do put up with doing it amongst 2 dogs and 5 cats. My big dogs loves them!

One thing that ticks me off. They have no common sense and I always have to spend 30 -45 min when they've been there to put everything back in its "proper" place. But they are honest and have the keys to my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 04:26 PM

3,927 posts, read 5,580,250 times
I pay a rate of $10 per hour. I do most of my laundry and she does not clean my crystal, not by my choice, but hers. I also have to dust behind her as she does not move things. Yet, she is very trustworthy and I can be gone and not worry about a thing while she is there.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I have paid a wide range. I am currently paying $60 for 3 hours of work. That may seen steep, but I have had people who come and clean around and not under objects, etc. She cleans the inside and outside of the windows, does everything except laundry because I prefer to do that myself.

It's just the two of us and a small dog. We don't create a lot of work. This lady does a good job and I am picky. I am one of those people who goes around with a bottle of clorox and a cloth. :-)
jhlcomp:
Hi. I just moved to Weston and I am the same way with my home and the cleanliness, and it's just two of us and a small dog as well. I know you posted this a while ago, but do you know of anyone or company who could help me with my cleaning? I will greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,472,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
$130 but I'm giving them a raise, $140 every two weeks. One lady and her aunt. She cleans EVERYTHING! I mean she moves the furniture, wipes down even the kitchen chairs, leather furniture, dusts EVERYTHING, cleans baseboards, windows, shutters, dusts drapes. No stone left unturned in my house when she is done and it smells and feels oh so clean. Pretty big house too, 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, formals, gameroom, media room, etc that is a hair under 5000 sq ft. I've been using her for about 4 years now.
For something like this... I'd have to say, "What is my time worth?"

If i had the extra $280 a month ... NOT having to do all that cleaning ... I'd pay that in a heart beat.

My sister works for a cleaning company, though she's more management currently ... but she cleans brand new homes on the side [the major, "before move in" cleaning] and she's paid $50 an hour.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:41 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,380,344 times
Clearly, its where you live.

for $50 an hour - I'd clean houses for a living!! Gimme your address!!

here, I'd say $10 - $12 an hour is about right. My mother has a woman come in 1x / week, for about 2 hours and she pays her $40 every 2 weeks. That was the woman's price. For that, vacuuming, cleaning 2 bathrooms, helping my mother change the bedding, and wiping down the kitchen. Not too bad. Maybe a little dusting and mirror cleaning.

Clearly it depends on where you live and how much you make. If you're making $100K a year and working a straight 40 hour week, you are making $52 / hour.

So no, I wouldn't pay a house cleaner the equivalent of a $100k / year salary.

I would pay them more than minimum wage, but less than a "skilled" field. So personally, about $12 an hour - because we pay our chemistry interns $15 / hour.

As I said, I make darn good money - but anyone who wants to get me a 40 hour a week gig making $50/hour cleaning houses - I'll throw my college degree away and be the most polite, trustworthy maid ever!!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:31 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,472,819 times
Quote:
for $50 an hour - I'd clean houses for a living!! Gimme your address!!
I'm sorry -- You misunderstood what i was saying... she does not make $50 an hour... only on side jobs when she is hired to clean brand new homes... you know, the "clean up all the dust before the sale" kind of cleaning.

I have no idea what she makes... as she personally does not clean anymore.. she's management.

I do not have that kind of cash to throw around... so i clean my own home.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,257 times
We pay $90 but we have a small home, around 1,600 square feet. One of our luxuries is the girl that cleans for us, we love her. Be sure and check references.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM

16,237 posts, read 18,697,756 times
A few years ago I paid two women $15. an hour each, which turned out to be about
$90. each time.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM

1,466 posts, read 2,308,864 times
The cleaning industry is making good money I see.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM

2,822 posts, read 8,671,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantistubbe View Post
jhlcomp:
Hi. I just moved to Weston and I am the same way with my home and the cleanliness, and it's just two of us and a small dog as well. I know you posted this a while ago, but do you know of anyone or company who could help me with my cleaning? I will greatly appreciate it.
I have a woman that comes once a week - I will PM you the info. Just remember - it's not a perfect world, but this person is trustworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House