Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,419 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recommend having the heating & air conditioning "tuned-up"? Our heating & air service have a package where they come out twice a year to tune up both the the a/c and heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 19,632 times
service contracts are nice but can be costly. Most companies come out 2 time a year to clean, check and do a service of units.. if the home is newer is mostly not needed.. after about age 8 or so specially with heat pumps it can be a good benefit. Especially during bad weather if you have a problem they put you on the schedule before a non service contract call.. that could be the difference between seeing someone in 2 days rather than 4 days.

ben there done that..

Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
If you have gas-fired equipment that is approaching, or more than, 10 years old, it is a good idea to have the heat exchanger checked before heating season.
They can corrode and perforate quickly, letting carbon monoxide enter the home. Particularly in reference to cheaper gas packs, which were the unit of choice in most tract-built homes.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,052 times
If you do choose to have the tune-up I would recommend choosing a contractor that will make you eligible for rebates from Progress Energy under their Home Energy Improvement Program.

Mike

Old 10-18-2009, 08:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Does anyone recommend having the heating & air conditioning "tuned-up"? Our heating & air service have a package where they come out twice a year to tune up both the the a/c and heat.
Yes, yes and yes again if the price is reasonable. If they find a problem your unit will be operating at full efficiency and save you money during the season. Also if you do have a problem in the making it may be an emergency service call at the worse time.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,242 times
Twice a year is excessive and a nice revenue stream for the HVAC company, but I will say this; the units I see that last 20 years when inspecting houses tend to have consistent maintenance records while the ones I see failing at 7 years do not. I have mine serviced every year and half or so.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 PM

240 posts, read 1,179,520 times
It has been my experience that gas equipment installed in a "tract built" home (more than 5 years old or so) will benefit from an annual service call to check/clean the heat exchanger; but certainly no more than every couple of years.

Unfortunately, when your builder buys the "builder quality" products that choice is not necessarily in your best interest. We get these "low end" products promoted by manufacturer reps when shopping for new construction equipment with some great pricing inducements. We tell them "no thanks" and stick with the equipment that we can stand behind.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 AM

380 posts, read 1,229,560 times
I used a " High Performance" air filter from Home Depot and I saw a big decrease in my electric Bill. I would think about that. instead of the cheap ones from Wal Mart.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Best to use a fiberglass filter unless the return is known to be large enough for a pleated filter. I can't see a filter u;less clogged bad making any difference in electricity that you would notice really.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,419 times
Thanks for your posts. I'm still a little confused though.

We moved into our current home a year ago and it has dual zone (downstairs and upstairs). I've never had anything other than one system for the entire house so I don't truly understand what I have, but here goes...

2005 a new Trane 14 Seer Combo Cooling/Gas Heating Pack variable 2 stage heat was installed. It sits outside the house and looks like it's both heat and cooling. I think it's for the downstairs zone or at least it kicks in when I adjust the downstairs A/C. I'm not sure what it's role is in dual zone heat though as I think it kicks in when heating either the downstairs or the upstairs, but something also kicks in in the attic - sounds like a blower - and I think that heats the upstairs zone.

Next to this new unit (outside) is the original, 1998, A/C (condenser??). That one kicks in when I adjust the upstairs A/C.

So for maintenance, it sounds like I really shouldn't need service for the combo gas pack that was installed in 2005, but maybe just for the original 1998 A/C?? But, I have a feeling one of you will tell me that that blower noise I hear in the attic may be original 1998 equipment as well.

I never had my single zone unit serviced (annual maintenance) and it lasted for over 13 years when we moved. Now I have a house with dual zone and I don't have a clue how it works. But I don't want to pay for an annual maintenance contract if I really don't need. The maintenance tune-up looks like cleaning, lubricating, making adjustments, etc.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House