U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:37 AM

380 posts, read 1,045,735 times

Advertisements

My home was built in 89, we just bought it this year. there are some cracks small ones in the wall on the edges of the doorway.

The Inspector said the floor was good. and the foundation wasent terrible. I dont noticed any kind of hill or anything in out house. but yet you go outside and at the top of our house there is a big crack in the brick. im stressed out about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:00 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
I see your in a sever draught area;that can cause problems with those cracks if not watered during a draught.Call for a foundation inspection but make sure its a qaulity company.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM

693 posts, read 2,919,164 times
Foundation repair can range from a thousand bucks or so to 30K or more. Very variable.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,523,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
My home was built in 89, we just bought it this year. there are some cracks small ones in the wall on the edges of the doorway.

The Inspector said the floor was good. and the foundation wasent terrible. I dont noticed any kind of hill or anything in out house. but yet you go outside and at the top of our house there is a big crack in the brick. im stressed out about it.
You gave me no proof it's the foundation. Seeing cracks in the drywall on the tops of door and windows is a tell tale sign of settling. But what is settling? More often then not it is the framing, not the foundation.

Do you really have a foundation or are you on a slab? Do you have carpeting that you can peel back and look at the slab for cracks? If you have a foundation then look a it. Are there any cracks along the mortor grout lines? Seeing cracked mortor is nothing to fear. But has the blocks shifted and you see nice sized gaps in the mortor joints?

Seeing a crack in your brick could be telling you something. But I question that too because bricks you say you have do not carry loads other then itself. You said there is a crack at the top. Foundations do not carry the load of brick. Footings do. And if you see a crack at the top and it does not walk to the ground then I really doubt there is nothing wrong. If that crack walked from top to bottom then I would worry.

But no one here can give you an accurate answer without seeing it. At least you have some ideas now though. You could post pics.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:05 PM

3,318 posts, read 5,312,514 times
Quote:

How BIG is the "big" crack??? As others have said it is really had to speculate without seeing this IRL. Perhaps do a Google search of images of homes with failing foundations...or check out the Home Owners For Better Builders website for pictures. All homes "settle" to some degree...and from you post that seems more likely the case.

In any event be AWARE that some foundation repair companies aren't honest and may try to sell you on services you don't need. You would be better off going with a neutural 3ed party engineer to look over your house.
You DO NOT want someone screwing around with your foundation if it is fine "as is".

Do all your doors and windows operate properly???

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Good answers thus far...

Worst case scenario would be similar to ours - we had major issues that were handled under warranty by our builder. They put ~50 pilings all across and around our foundation, and their cost was around $45k.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:31 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
I have seen foundatoin repairs range from $1500 to over $600,000. It depends on the root cause of the problem, the size of our house, etc. .

Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

10,425 posts, read 43,523,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Good answers thus far...

Worst case scenario would be similar to ours - we had major issues that were handled under warranty by our builder. They put ~50 pilings all across and around our foundation, and their cost was around $45k.

WOW !!!!!

Was your home built on sand?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,550,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
WOW !!!!!

Was your home built on sand?
Possibly - in a cooky-cutter subdivision, they don't test the soils for every building site (which is reckless, and stupid if you ask me).

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

1,855 posts, read 5,672,460 times
Quote:

Hello Jamerschris,

No need to stress out on it. We used to have a saying in the miitary "Crap Happens" (nice version) and all you can do when it does is deal with it. Nothing is worth stressing over!

Try these three foundation companies. They will come out and provide a free evaluation and estimate. They are good companies and I have not heard anything bad from those that have used them. I've dealt with them and have also been impressed by their honesty. You do not have to use their services to obtain the free evaluation and estimate.

Good luck!

Perma-Pier Foundation Repair
214-637-1444
www.permapier.com

Integrated Foundation Solutions
972-660-8600
www.ifsdfw.com

Structured Foundation Repair
972-484-1200
www.structuredfoundation.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or