Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to the BBB article on duct cleaning:

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 06:25 PM

61,667 posts, read 87,041,175 times
The need for cleaning depends on a variety of factors, like pets, smoking, recent renovations, local weather conditions and overall home cleanliness. Recommended cleaning: every three to five years.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 AM

20 posts, read 13,623 times
Air duct frequently contains unhealthy micro organisms such as mold, bacteria, pollen, mildew etc. A periodic air duct cleaning promotes healthier living because it help to improves the air quality in your home.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 AM

51 posts, read 119,920 times
When we bought our house, we did have the duct work cleaned. Prior owners appeared to use the floor vents as trash receptacles. Prior to this I had never had duct cleaning done anywhere, and don't plan to again unless buying a place where there is evidence of prior owners being slobs. Dust in your vents is very normal, and your own dust (dead skin cells, etc) is fine. Prior owner's unusual trash and filth, not so much.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:46 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,285 times
If you have allergies, duct cleaning may or may not be a waste of money. It depends on how bad your allergies are.

I am extremely allergic to cats (FEL-D) which is one of the most difficult allergens to remove from surfaces because it is "sticky". Once it gets drawn into an HVAC system that doesn't have HEPA filtration, a duct cleaning will not remove it. I found this out the hard way with the first house I ever bought, back in the 1970s. The sellers had dogs but what I didn't know is that the people before them had cats. I figured that I'd have the ductwork cleaned before I moved in, so as to get rid of the dog dander, dust, etc. All the carpeting was removed, the wood floors were refinished, tiled steam cleaned, and everything was painted.

Had the ducts cleaned, moved in, and within an hour of turning on the AC (it was June) I was at the local emergency room struggling to breathe. My cat allergy is the only one that affects my lungs so I knew it was "cat" and not "dog" which only affects my eyes and nose. I cannot use epi and so they had to load me up with cortisone and put me temporarily on oxygen.

My allergist informed me that duct cleaning won't work for anyone with severe allergies to anything inhaled; replacing the entire system is the only way to completely get rid of whatever that allergen is. So that's what we had to do, and have replaced the existing AC system in each of the four houses since (also replaced all the heating baseboard.) I simply can't take the chance that a former owner may have had a cat.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
We had our ducts cleaned in a 35-year-old ranch house once. It got some debris out of the ducts, but it did nothing for dust inside the house.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:21 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
When we moved into a 50-year-old house a while back, I opened a register, saw lots of dirt and gunk, and thought we might need the ducts cleaned.

The guy opened a section of duct about ten feet from a register and showed it to me--it was clean as a whistle. Be said that dirt usually collects at the registers where it just falls in. But that doesn't have anything to do with whether the ducts are really dirty.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim gallo View Post
i bought a 60 year old cape cod. It operate4s on oil heat ans has that oil smell. I can tell becxuase i have had clean gas heat for most of my life.

Besides cleaning and sweeping the entire systems what gets rid of this smell.
By the way we have not moved in yet, but duct system cleaning is first on my list
If you can smell oil, something isn't right. Have the system cleaned and inspected.

Old 12-07-2022, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 419 times
Although duct cleaning isn't always a bad idea, most of the time it's not required. In actuality, there is no apparent benefit to cleaning typically filthy ducts. Duct cleaning can be helpful in a few instances if done correctly. Contact professionals for better assistance.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:29 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
My 12 year old patio home is one story with cathedral ceilings. My HVAC registers are in the ceiling and the return is on a wall, about 10 feet off the floor. Nothing is going to "fall" into either. My HVAC guy recently inspected a few registers and the return. He said they are very clean. No pets and no smoking. I replace the return filter (MERV 8) 3 to 4 times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House