U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 120,797 times
Default Need Opinion on Side by Side or French Door Refrigerator?

Hello,

I wanted opinion on buying a french door refrigerator or a side by side?
What are the pros /cons ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM

6,056 posts, read 8,543,217 times
I love our side by side. Don't know any cons. I'd never want a freezer drawer at the bottom. Ouch back. Ouch knees.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 PM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
We just replaced our 15 year old side by side with a french door fridge.
We find the bottom freezer and the top fridge more accessible and easier to stock and take food from. And the width of the top is great.
Where the old one always seemed full, we seldom think the new one is packed. The cubic footage rating is very similar.

The EnergyStar french door model had a slightly lower cost to operate rating on the yelow DOE label. I am sure it will cost us less than the old model.

ETA: All in all, we would say we like our new refrigerator very much.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM

206 posts, read 447,623 times
You might want to try the house general forum on city data. I personally didn't like my side by side. I felt like there wasn't enough room for food when we had parties, pizza boxes, etc. I think it depends on your lifestyle. It just didn't work for me. I use the refrigerator much more often so need that to work for me. I will be hopefully be buying a french door next time.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 PM

417 posts, read 538,993 times
We recently bought a french door and will not go back pretty much due to reasons already posted. The freezer seems much more accessible for some reason and since we primarily utilize the fridge throughout the day the french door layout really is convenient.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 PM

111 posts, read 107,039 times
i got a side by side
cant get a pizza in the freezer

nuff said

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM

445 posts, read 661,504 times
We sprung for a counter-depth french door fridge so we wouldn't have to walk around the darn thing to get to the pantry.

I've never owned a side-by-side but my sister-in-law who does talked us out of one. She shops at Costco, as do we, and always complained about not being able to fit anything into the narrow freezer compartment.

My previous fridge had the freezer on top, fridge on the bottom. That was a pain, always bending over. It is sometimes annoying to have the freezer on the bottom, but we use the fridge portion more.

Now, my dream fridge would be a double glass door fridge with separate freezer drawers under the counter.

Someday....

Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM

3,401 posts, read 5,862,811 times
I *love* my french door fridge - much more room than the last two side by sides I had!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I *love* my french door fridge - much more room than the last two side by sides I had!
I restrained myself and said "like very much." Trying to rein in my appliance passions. But "Love" is understandable...

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM

524 posts, read 1,725,903 times
I've always had side by side but my next one will be french doors. I like the way they look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House