Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,328,272 times

Advertisements

My washing machine is broken and I don't have the money to get it fixed or replaced. I have been trying to find one for free on Craigslist which there are many of them but I never seem to be the first to inquire.

I have found a laundromat that only costs $1 per regular wash. Their dryers work alot better then mine at home. So today rather then take what I had washed home, I just stayed there and dried stuff.

I washed two loads of sheets and pillow cases, two loads of towels, one King size feather duvet and three quilts in maybe a total of 1 1/2 hour there when that would have taken me ALL DAY at home with a working washing machine however my feather duvet would have been too big to wash at home, I would have had to go out to wash it anyway.

I chat with the ladies there and I save time. Its only about 10 minutes from my house. During the time I was there, I folded the laundry as well. Some of the loads finished drying before others so while I was waiting I was folding. When I am at home folding seems like such an onerous job but there it was done in no time.

I have even noticed a significant dip in my electric bill from going to the laundromat. My only wish would be that they had a wireless connection for my computer, now that would make it perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,209,732 times
The first thing I wanted when I got out of college was a washer and dryer.

I was tired of waiting for my turn to wash clothes in the dorm.

I knew I would have made it in life when I owned my very own washer and dryer.

That was decades ago and I still cherish my machines.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,328,272 times
I know what you mean, I have been to the ones years ago when they were crowded but this one is never crowded when I go however I always go on a weekday.

Maybe someday I will have a newer set and feel like you do but at the moment, I am thankful for the laundromat.

My machines were purchased in 2001, they are getting long in the tooth. The dryer takes so long to get heavy things washed its just annoying.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,618,842 times
Yes, wireless would be a GREAT idea.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:24 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
I can agree. The laundromats seem to have much bigger machines and you can fit more clothes. The trick is to find the time when it is least crowded.
I seem to like Friday night 8 pm, that works well here. I go when I have a ton of clothes and cannot take the time to do it at home (we have portable washer), so what would take 1 load at the laundromat, would take 3 at home.
----I do know what you mean about the social aspect of it, but most times I just want to listen to my I-pod and chill. I am not interested in neighbors gossip not one iota.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 AM

228 posts, read 1,200,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The dryer takes so long to get heavy things washed its just annoying.
There's your problem!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,323,978 times
What's wrong with the washer?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,960 times
I remember hauling clothes to the laundromat when my 3 kids were young. I hated that chore so much I'd wait until there literally weren't any clean clothes left to wear. I'd have 5 or 6 huge trash bags full of clothes and sheets and towels that I'd have to cram into my car and carry back and forth from the house to the car to the laundry. It took hours, and I'd sit there and think about all of the other household chores I needed to take care of and the precious few hours I would have to do them (I was a single mom with a full time job). The very first credit I ever applied for was when I finally was able to rent an actual house rather than the apartments I had been living in, and the landlord allowed me to install a washer and dryer. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven. The first thing I did was teach my kids how to do their own laundry, and from that time on I had the luxury of throwing in a load of my own dirty clothes whenever I needed to, and still be able to do other housework or run errands while the load was running.

No, sorry, I can't ever imagine enjoying going to the laundromat. But I'm glad that it works for you.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,979,675 times
I hate the laundermat. Couldn't wait to get my own washer and dryer!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,866,047 times
We just replaced our 20 year old Frigidaire set with a new Kenmore Oasis HE set. We love the new one that doesn't have an agitator and can hold a king size conforter AND the sheets in one load. The laundromat here is filled with scumbags and college students and is busy 24/7. I do applaud you for finding a laundromat that only charges $1 for a load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House