Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
One other thing to do is turn just the fan on.If the same issue still exists then you have a definite airflow problem and a complete check of the ductwork is needed.
Yes, the fan speed could be set too low for heating. Another way, if you have a contractor check it out, would be to have them to a temp. rise test across the furnace. If the temp rise, usually labeled maximum on the data plate of the furnace, is too high you have other issues, like cracked or busted heat exchangers, that you'll need to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,308 times
Hey BigJon3475, I have noticed from your replies that you must be in the HVAC business. I am new to the forum and have been in the trade for about 16 years in Florida.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Yeah, I went to school for it... Plus it's a second love of mine. Sick I know...

Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 PM

191 posts, read 591,214 times
thanks everyone. i'll take a look in the attic, but i have a feeling i won't have a clue of what i'm looking at. i'll google the images using the keywords suggested though. i have a small 3br colonial, so i'm guessng that's why i only have one system? i didn't really notice what was going on in the summer bc the downstairs always stayed pretty cool without a/c anyway, we just moved in early sept. so, i can call a general contractor and he should be able to know what's going on with the ducts?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,402 times
I a question i have a two story home . I have air coming though the vents when the system is off . I have had it checked out and they don't seem to know what the problem. Is what can i do about the air that is coming thought the vents? I also have a heating pump system.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default What do you mean "off"?

Most forced air systems have a switch that says "auto" & "on" to control the fan. The other switch is "heat" "off" & "cool".

The blower will generally only run when in "on" regardless of temperature or when the thermostat is calling for heat or cooling and the fan setting is in "auto".

If the blower is NOT running and there is air movement your ducts are probably punctured / disconnected.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
How did you resolve the problem??
I have the same problem. Strong pressure upstairs, very low pressure downstairs, all vents wide open, no dampers in attic outlets. One big outlet servicing downstairs runs across attic floor and disappears down the corner. No sign of leaks. Condition seems good.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
I agree with turning the fan to the "ON" setting. Check your filter, it may be clogged if it has not been changed since you moved in.

I also suggest asking your new neighbors which HVAC company they use and trust and call them. If you are a new homeowner the service tech will explain the basics to you. How to change your filter (once a month), which settings to use, and if there are air flow problems how they need to be addressed.

Also, many 2 story homes only have one system. Only large homes will have more than one.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:40 AM

621 posts, read 2,326,464 times
definitely sounds like restricted airflow problem. Check the usual suspect, air filter. Also how many and what size are your returns. As others have said, get an HVAC tech out there.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
i owned two story house, i am having a problem with my heating system, temperature on my second floor is rising up even though i did not turn the thermostat on upstair i only turn the thermostat on downstair the heat still blowing on upstair vents. why? need help i don't know what to do. thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House