U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 08:46 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,290,456 times

Advertisements

I live on a brand new road. It doesn't show up on Google Maps or GPS. In fact, it doesn't show up in anyone's system. The post office does manage to deliver some mail here, but I have had a lot of trouble. I can't even order a pizza (not only that, I can't even call ahead to order a pizza for carry out unless I give my previous address).

I haven't been able to change my address at work, at my bank, at my credit card, at my car insurance company, at a couple of magazine sites, etc. And I've had trouble with every delivery I've tried to get so far. The Best Buy delivery of my fridge was a nightmare!!

The problem is that everyone uses some system that attempts to look up the address you've entered on the site or read to the rep on the phone. If they don't find it, you're done. I haven't come across any vendor or service provider so far that has taken the address as entered. Most don't allow any override or exception. I've had two reps at different companies tell me I can't change my address at this time.

Any experience with new roads and how long it takes for an address to start showing up in vendor systems? Not being on Google Maps or any GPS system is getting old too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 PM

12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Wish I could help you, but had to comment that it is rather funny you are having this problem and your "tag line" is "Part time Ninja" I would think a Ninja would LIKE nobody finding them LOL.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:01 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,720,094 times
Same problem here, but to a lesser degree.

Moved in 1.5 years ago. Street is 2 years old. Post office took address right away (they already had one other house on the street to deliver to). UPS kept delivering packages (addressed correctly) to my old address. Weird. UPS will look back in your "history" and try to deliver packages to previous address. Very strange. Bank took address right away as did some credit cards. 2 did not. Had to call and talk to customer service. Very annoying. (Make sure you have online access to as much as possible so if you don't get a statement for a month or more you can check out your account online and make sure everything is okay).

Now its been a street for 2 years, and all my personal business is okay (local companies know the neighborhood and can find the street if you tell them the neighborhood) - but anyone from out of town I have to give directions to because the mapping programs haven't updated yet. If you google earth my street you see a horse pasture.

Patience is my only advice. I know its lame, but eventually technology will catch up! Good Luck!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,290,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wish I could help you, but had to comment that it is rather funny you are having this problem and your "tag line" is "Part time Ninja" I would think a Ninja would LIKE nobody finding them LOL.
True, but it makes it hard to take delivery of new shuriken, poison blowdarts, and lockpicking tools.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:33 AM

12,134 posts, read 22,273,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
True, but it makes it hard to take delivery of new shuriken, poison blowdarts, and lockpicking tools.
Good point! I can see where that could put a crimp in the night-time fun for a Ninja.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:15 PM

11,751 posts, read 27,321,510 times
Interesting. Ninja issues aside, I would suggest calling the local police and fire departments on the non-emergency numbers and making sure the information has made it to them. In Alabama, street addresses are determined by a 911 locator system, and all data flows from that.

If I had a bank that couldn't accept a change, I'd change banks. Same with the insurance company. I can just imagine the conversation - "Yeah, we want to sell you renters insurance, but you'll have to get it on your old place." Idiots.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:02 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,022,400 times
I have a delivery problem but on a different tangent. I will be here 1 yr end of Dec. My problem if on mapquest,bing etc the name of my my street is spelled wrong. I do get mail,ups,fedex but if I need a service tech or food delivery there are numerous phone calls to locate my house.

I did go into a mapping service to correct this but of course it's still being worked on after 6 months.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 AM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
Many in new subdivisions rent a Post Office Box the first year to avoid lost or misdirected mail...

In time, the problems will diminish

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
I had a similar problem with my last house about 10 year ago - new street, and we were the first house on it. The Post Office did have it set up, but even they couldn't get it right for several weeks after we moved in. It took a while for us to get regular mail delivery. I would say it took a full six months before our street was fully recognized and on on-line maps.

Fast forward to the house I bought 3 years ago - again, first house on a new street, and this time in an entirely new development also. Had no problems there. Street seemed to exist on all mapping services from the moment we moved in.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:57 AM

74 posts, read 377,089 times
We are going through the exact same thing. Very few online address updates work so we have had to call almost everyone. And, like you mention, things like ordering pizza require using the wrong address.

Our phone and cable companies would not install any service before we were in the 911 directory and UPS, which has delivered at least a dozen packages, still can't find the street on the first try (our first FedEx package is supposed to arrive tomorrow so that should be interesting).

Using online billing is a really good idea and try to be extra careful the first few months to make sure that you don't miss bills (likely to them never showing up).

Most automated systems get their information from one of two places: the 911 system/post office or from private map companies. Assuming you are in the 911 and post office systems, the other thing to try is to update the map information (although it can take 6-12 months to propogate).

Take a look at the google page (about missing streets)
Fix an error on Google Maps - Maps Help
for an example of two places you can go to enter your information. It may be working looking at other places like mapquest and maps.bing.com to see if they use other companies.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House