Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM

228 posts, read 740,252 times

Advertisements

I am considering hardwood floors for the kitchen, halls, dining area, and entry. I was told hardwood floors though look great will mare or dent with high heal shoes. The wood I am considering is either hickory or koa. Both are considered very hard. Anyone experiencing dents or marring from high heal shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,750 times
I definitely probably in the minority when I say that I think hardwood looks much better than tile in a kitchen, plus, tile grout gets dirty as hell, especially in high traffic areas like the kitchen. I would go hardwood over tile. I think it looks tacky alot when you have hardwood in all the other rooms, then break it up with tile in the kitchen, sorta gawdy looking.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
By your other posts- I'll assume you're in UT.
If you were in FL- I might go with tile. Go with hardwood. And if you want to upgrade your heating requirements- now would be the time to consider it. As in, radiant floor heating.
As far as the heels- maybe stillettos. But they're only on in the b...
Oh, never mind- keep the brass po...

Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 PM

298 posts, read 998,453 times
I have hardwoods in my entry and kitchen and haven't had a problem with heels scratching or denting it. My husband did pull out the fridge and it came off of its runner which caused a dent in the floor though.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
We've had hardwood in the kitchen before. Our last house we took out terra-cota tile and installed random width red-oak. It was very durable, and not as COLD as tile. We used area rugs in high traffic areas and it worked just fine for us.

Right now in our current house I'm in the process of ripping out layers of vinyl in the kitchen and 40 year old linoleum in the entry and hallways to make way for- 3/4" hardwood.

Here's our old house after install and finishing to match the great room
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood or Tile for entry and kitchen?-woodfloor.jpg  

Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,031 times
We have have had hardwoods in our kitchen and all the rest of the main living areas in our past 3 homes. No problems. This has been in the east,mid atlantic and now the midwest.

I think it probably depends on what area of the country you are living. I would think if you are in a very warm climate then ceramic tile is the the way to go.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM

228 posts, read 740,252 times
Cool, Thanks for all the input. The consenses is to go with HW for entry, halls, stairs, kitchen, dinning, and office. Carpet for living room, bedrooms and maybe stairs as well.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
he only problem with hardwood in kitchens is when and ofif you have a water leak in a refigerator or dishwaher or other line. Its is expensive to rapair and a slow lkeak can go undetected for quite awhile. It just deoends on the amount of risk and possible cost you are willing to take.Many times insurance will not cover anyhting but sudden leaks now dfays unless to pay for m9old coverage which is increrasingly costly.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
I'd go with tile in the entry, with hardwood everywhere else. Mud, snow, salt, rain, etc are much kinder to tile than hardwood. But, FWIW, I also wouldn't carpet the living room

Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
We did hardwood in the kitchen and entry 15 years ago and I must say I still love it. It is warm and comfortable on the feet. After 15 years of kids and dogs our floors need refinishing. It is nice to know that it is not going to cost us a fortune to replace them. All they need is a sanding and a couple of coats of finish and they will look as good as new. They are timeless. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House