Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:25 PM

63 posts, read 238,883 times

Advertisements

We just had Brinks come in and install. We are very happy with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 PM
GPS

36 posts, read 100,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
In response to my own question above - CPI just told me the do offer sirens that are placed inside the house, usually mounted on a wall. I then asked if it was possible for a burgler to break in, rip off the siren, then have access to the house until the authorities arrived. He confirmed this was possible.

I dont know why I am paranoid about this example but it seems crazy to mount a siren in a place that is easy to rip out of the wall!
Pretty much all security companies (ADT, Brinks, CPI, Guardian etc.) provide you with a siren. A burglar could rip it down but that alone would probably wake you up and if a burglar found out that the house had an alarm system chances are he would leave immediately rather than risk getting caught when the police do show up.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:00 AM

140 posts, read 590,347 times
Interesting side note on Guardian...My sister in law built with Standard Pacific, Guardian did the pre-wire for the alarm system, somewhat expensive. Now that she has closed and called them, they will not take her because she is using Time Warner for phone. ( I assume she has thta since they offer a deal with the cable and internet).

Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 PM
GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by robretpd View Post
Interesting side note on Guardian...My sister in law built with Standard Pacific, Guardian did the pre-wire for the alarm system, somewhat expensive. Now that she has closed and called them, they will not take her because she is using Time Warner for phone. ( I assume she has thta since they offer a deal with the cable and internet).
There should be no reason why they wouldn't take her because of Time Warner doing her phone. As long as she has a land-line or VOIP phone in her house she is good to go with Guardian.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:47 PM

they told her they would not take her f she had TW since Tw is unreliable.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:15 PM

OK correction, apologies to the Guardian fans....the company that would not take her after they charged for all the pre wiring during the build was Quantum..

Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,446 times
Can anyone confirm that I will own the equiptment after my 36 month contract expires with CPI? The sales guy said CPI owns it and the guy on the phone told me I will own it.

Also, I found it funny that CPI would not let me keep their contract to review on my own time. They wanted me to sign in then and there. Kinda strange huh?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 AM
GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Can anyone confirm that I will own the equiptment after my 36 month contract expires with CPI? The sales guy said CPI owns it and the guy on the phone told me I will own it.
Yes, sadly with ADT and CPI you only own your equipment after the contract. Before that you are leasing from them, thus they can take it all back if they wanted to.

Quote:
Also, I found it funny that CPI would not let me keep their contract to review on my own time. They wanted me to sign in then and there. Kinda strange huh?
That's a sales tactic that some use. When selling you have a couple of influences on the customer. Two very important ones are impulse and trust. Bad salesman (not that they don't sell, but that they do in unethically) rely on impulse, good ones use trust. He was trying to build your impulse by using a tactic called "fear of loss". In other words he wanted to create an atmosphere where you are afraid that you will miss out on a huge deal if you don't act right then and there. This saves sales in that it does not give the customer time to think about their decision and decide, in a clear state of mind, whether or not it is the right one to make.

Also he could be wanting to hide some of the fine print from you. Sadly I do not have a CPI contract to look at but I do have an ADT one and it is not very fun to read. After one year they stipulate that they can change your rate as much as they want and without telling you even though the contract is for 5 years. Also the salesman is just that, a salesman who is not guaranteed to know anything about security (I had to go through a complicated licensing process before Guardian would ever let me go to anyone's home). And the aforementioned "leasing" of equipment.

By not letting you keep and read the contract he was trying to build impulse while ignoring trust, probably because he was not confidant in his own trustworthiness.

Note: This is all speculation of course. As I said, I don't have a CPI contract to look at so I am working off of ADT, Brinks and others which I do have. Also he could have just been trying to close the sale quickly.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
I guess that ADT screwed me. I told the salesman while in Florida that Iwanted wireless security when I move to Charlotte. He told me that wireless was not as good as the alternative. So, I paid $900 to have my house (12 windows, 3 doors) wired with ADT. And that was supposedly with my insurance company discount. Was I an idiot?

Old 11-30-2007, 03:55 PM
GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
I guess that ADT screwed me. I told the salesman while in Florida that Iwanted wireless security when I move to Charlotte. He told me that wireless was not as good as the alternative. So, I paid $900 to have my house (12 windows, 3 doors) wired with ADT. And that was supposedly with my insurance company discount. Was I an idiot?
Depends, did he charge you extra to have it wired? Also, is there anything that would easily interfere with the wireless signal (metal walls etc.)?

While it is indeed true that wired is better and more reliable than wireless that is like saying a land line phone is more reliable than a cell phone. Sure it is true but not by any significant amount. So if price was an issue I would have just went with wireless equipment and saved you some money.

The price isn't too bad. At full retail price Guardian would have charged you $1169. This is, of course, before any discount (I personally would not charge full price on anyone buying a dozen window contacts!). You mention an "insurance company discount"? Could you be more specific?

Also my question is why did you have to buy so many window contacts? I usually find it to be much cheaper and easier to get a couple of motion detectors or glass break detectors and position them so that they cover multiple windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House