Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 AM

43 posts, read 127,026 times

Advertisements

I actually use my manual lock when I go on vacation. I sleep better when I am out of town and know my sliding manual lock is in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,062,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildordie View Post
I actually use my manual lock when I go on vacation. I sleep better when I am out of town and know my sliding manual lock is in place.
I have an older garage-door opener too and this is the only time (when going on vacation) when I lock it manually.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,765,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The majority of openers have used rolling codes for 10 or 12 years at least now. Odds of finding an old DIP switch coded opener still working is getting slimmer and slimmer.
My parents Sears opener is going on 36 years old and still going strong. Friends of mine have a house about the same age, with 2 of the same openers as my parents, and they still work great too. When my parents got a new garage door about 5 years ago, they asked if they should replace the opener. They were told not to--it was built better than anything new and should last for another 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The only time I've heard of issues in the rolling code era is when the local Air Force Base occasionally runs communications tests on the same frequencies:

USAF in secret garage door jamming trials • The Register
My parents live near Wright Patterson Air Force Base and this used to happen to them! Their box had a switch you could turn off so the remotes wouldn't work. It was the last thing they did every night before bed! Plus, everyone should always lock their interior door just in case.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,351,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
My parents Sears opener is going on 36 years old and still going strong. Friends of mine have a house about the same age, with 2 of the same openers as my parents, and they still work great too. When my parents got a new garage door about 5 years ago, they asked if they should replace the opener. They were told not to--it was built better than anything new and should last for another 20 years.
The one I have is about that old too, I just retrofitted it with the digital receiver. The mechanical motion is fine. Although I realized the retrofit part (which was a Chamberlain unit) did not disable the original analog remote. So I ended up removing parts from the circuit board until the antenna was disabled.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 PM

854 posts, read 4,133,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
The one I have is about that old too, I just retrofitted it with the digital receiver. The mechanical motion is fine. Although I realized the retrofit part (which was a Chamberlain unit) did not disable the original analog remote. So I ended up removing parts from the circuit board until the antenna was disabled.
GEEK!!!!!

I love it!

Old 11-03-2009, 06:07 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,167,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I have an older garage-door opener too and this is the only time (when going on vacation) when I lock it manually.
Ditto on the vacation thing. The other main reason for keeping the slider lock active if you live in a coastal region is that it is necessary along with verticle braces in order to keep the garage door from getting blown in. Garage doors are the biggest weakness in a house (assuming windows are covered) during a hurricane.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Way to go . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Wow, this is a great story! Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 AM

Default Braces are for real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Ditto on the vacation thing. The other main reason for keeping the slider lock active if you live in a coastal region is that it is necessary along with verticle braces in order to keep the garage door from getting blown in. Garage doors are the biggest weakness in a house (assuming windows are covered) during a hurricane.
Geez, never thought of this but thanks for informing us!

My parents just had a new garage door + opener installed and it doesn't even come with the slider lock (I found it very strange and I was suspicious of it).

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,022,767 times
We don't lock it while running errands, but at night and while we're on vacation, we turn off the opener just to be safe.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,004,273 times
Get an alarm and contract with a monitoring service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House