U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 08:53 PM

100 posts, read 358,044 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I bought a washer and dryer recently and that expanded into a laundry room / bathroom / mud room renovation. The small half-bathroom on the 1st floor adjoins a laundry nook "hallway" and sits underneath another bathroom on the 2nd floor that has a shower.

We're replacing the ceiling of the 1st floor bathroom and I need some ideas of what's best to go there. I hate the look and flimsy-ness of drop-ceilings, but we're eventually going to renovate the upstairs bath, so sheetrock seems like a bad choice.

I've considered those thermoplastic replicas of tin ceilings, and even wood.

What's the best choice of material between two bathrooms? Something that won't get moldy if there's a leak? Something that won't require major demolition to get access to the upstairs plumbing?

Thoughts?

The downstairs bath is small - between 5x5 and 6x6.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,795,309 times
Default Try this . . .

I was going to buy a short-sale home with a god-awful popcorn ceiling. I was researching possible solutions (aside from taking it all down) and ran across these polysterene tiles. I think it's the same stuff they use to make large flower planters. Anyway, it doesn't look too difficult to install and it is indeed an elegant solution:

Talissa Decor - Polystyrene ceiling tiles

Old 11-03-2009, 02:51 PM

12,557 posts, read 48,782,026 times
Though I see your intention-
You're not understanding the full use of d/wall. The major consideration is fire blockage- If for any reason you were to have a fire (like from the dryer) fire could immediately reach the floor joist cavity and travel to other areas of the house.
Drywall is actually quite cheap when you compare to any other material that would provide the same protection.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 PM

11,855 posts, read 15,494,778 times
To be used a building material, polysterene has to be chemically treated, and I think I read somewhere the current method of treating it is under consideration for being banned in most areas.

If untreated, and polysterene goes up in flame- you're gonna get some really, really nasty smoke filling up your abode. Drywall buys you some time.

Personally I try to discard most of that crap from my house as soon as we unwrap stuff packaged in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or