Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,055,259 times

Advertisements

When I open my garage door with the garage door opener, the spring above the door makes a few loud noises. It looks as if the bar and the spring bounce 3-4 times and when they bounce, they make a "clank" noise.

Does anybody know what is causing that or how to fix it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,535,896 times
Garage door torsion springs are not items for the typical DIY's to touch.
Call a reliable garage door company and have them look into it.
But, for info sake- it doesn't sound like a broken spring otherwise the door wouldn't open. It could just need an adjustment. Or the bearing on the center support could be going bad.
Garage doors, like any other mechanical device need maintenance to perform. It's truly amazing how profitable that business is because people do NO maintenance- they just think it will last forever. Then complain when they have to shell out close to a grand.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM

738 posts, read 2,947,203 times
I spray a garage door lubricant on the torsion springs in my garage, along with the wheels on the track. This usually helps to quiet down the door if there is any binding while the spring is compressing/uncompressing.

However, like K'ledgeBldr said, it's not usually a DIY job unless you're familiar with garage doors. The springs are under extremely high tension and can get your seriously hurt if you're unfamiliar with the parts and dont have the proper tools and setup.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times
You may want to try giving the springs themselves, the rollers and the track a liberal application of silicone lubricant. It isn't impossible that "dry humping" is the whole problem

EDIT: GoHokies had the same idea at approximately the same time, it seems. I've replaced my own torsion springs without incident but will not do it again. I think the service call will be around $70. I actually feel pretty stupid for risking my face to save $70.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,055,259 times
I tried some WD-40 on the tension spring and the noise went away

I hope it's not going to mess it up, next time I'll get a lubricant specially made for that.
Thanks for the help.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 AM

the WD-40 is ok for a temporary solution; WD-40 is not meant to be a bearing lubricant for something like garage door wheels and springs, but it has light oils that'll last for a little while to help you out. It wont mess anything up, but it'll wear off quickly since it's such a low viscosity. Just grab a can of silicone lubricant next time you're at the hardware store.

I use a PB blaster Garage Door lubricant that I got for like $4-5 at Home Depot, and it works just fine for the most part. ..:: Blaster Chemical Companies, Inc. - Product Detail ::.. (http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=5 - broken link) But most any silicone grease or bearing grease/oil will work just fine, even motor oil would work if you can get it in there.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 PM

23 posts, read 263,647 times
Not to hijack the thread but I once used a silicone based lubricant on the roll up tension spring (Liquid Wrench brand I believe) and it caused the bind on opening mechanism on the opener to trigger when the door opened. After that I sprayed it down with WD-40 and it started working again (not tripping). This seems counter-intuitive but I didn't investigate further. Someone once suggested that this was because the lubricant was so successful it altered the effective weighting of the door so the spring would have to be adjusted.

I just bought a too expensive can of Genie brand general lubricant for my drive chain. I was told it is Lithium based (?). Can that be used on the spring or should I stick with my can of Silicone lubricant like mentioned in the this thread (for the tension spring only).

Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 PM

If your tension spring was binding due to corrosion or dirt, then that is probably why the WD-40 helped you more in the situation. WD-40 is a penetrant oil, it's meant to break down and clean corrosive substances from metals. So if your spring was binding due to oxidation or corrosion, the WD-40 would have helped clean that off and mildly lubricate the spring. You could spray the WD-40 on first, let it sit for a few days, and then reapply with a coat of the silicone lubricant and it would most likely keep your garage door from

As far as the Genie brand Lithium based grease goes - I think it'd be fine to use. Don't quote me on it, but I think any silicone, lithium or teflon based grease would work appropriately for this situation just fine. Motor oil would work as well even, you just want the higher viscosity that greases provide to keep the lubrication in place and not dripping off.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:21 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,702,294 times
When I was installing overhead doors for a living, this is the stuff I used all the time. superslickstuff Works like a charm and doesn't hold dust and grit like most lubricants will. It is good for the rollers, springs, shiv's, every place parts are moving and rubbing. Kind of spendy, but it lasts a LONG time and a little goes a long ways.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,659,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
When I was installing overhead doors for a living, this is the stuff I used all the time. superslickstuff Works like a charm and doesn't hold dust and grit like most lubricants will. It is good for the rollers, springs, shiv's, every place parts are moving and rubbing. Kind of spendy, but it lasts a LONG time and a little goes a long ways.
I just bought three cans. Looks like great stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House