Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 AM

165 posts, read 1,282,959 times

Advertisements

Yes, you should be able to mount it yourself. I did my own (but not above a fireplace) with the help of a friend to lift the TV onto the mount. Please first google a few phrases like "recommended TV height" and "TV over fireplace". You'll see quite a few discussions about the drawbacks of placing a TV there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 AM

955 posts, read 3,642,780 times
My husband just did ours - piece of cake if you are even the slightest bit handy - but if you are not confident, just pay to have it done.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM

487 posts, read 1,812,000 times
Unless your new home was prewired for a flatscreen tv above the fireplace, it wont be as easy as putting it on another wall. If all you want to do is hang the tv with the wires showing then that will be easy, otherwise you will have to cut the drywall to get around the fireplace if you do not have attic access.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,068,824 times
Default the firepalce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I know it seems to be the "popular" place, but it really isn't the most comfortable place to watch a television.
My brother has it and I find it terribly uncomfortable to sit on a couch or better yet lay down on a couch and keep my eyes in an up position....
I thought the latest was that flat screen TVs should NOT be mounted on over a fireplace? Something about the heat and tolerance levels of the TVs. They're supposed to be set up where air can circulate behind them.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,816,005 times
Not to hijack the post, but since we are also thinking of upgrading from the old tube; Unless space is a real problem, why don't people use the regular TV tables for the flat TVs. Are the tables too unstable for these TVs. Our house has textured walls and fixing holes is a PITA, so I am not sure if I want to put the TV somewhere and if anything changes then I am up for a major wall repair. I am thinking we might have to change the TV spot or the TV or who knows what happens with technology.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,068,824 times
Default yes, we use TV tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Not to hijack the post, but since we are also thinking of upgrading from the old tube; Unless space is a real problem, why don't people use the regular TV tables for the flat TVs. Are the tables too unstable for these TVs. Our house has textured walls and fixing holes is a PITA, so I am not sure if I want to put the TV somewhere and if anything changes then I am up for a major wall repair. I am thinking we might have to change the TV spot or the TV or who knows what happens with technology.
We use a TV table for our flatscreen TV. It's slender, attractive, houses the DVD player and accessories and gives us the ability to move it around if need be.

If it did mount it somewhere I would consider the mounts with arms so you could pull the TV away from the wall and 'turn' it in different directions.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,137,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I live in California and with the earthquakes, it seems more stable mounted on the wall.

I have installed a few. The only help needed was lifting the larger ones into place. BestBuy's prices sounds unreasonable. If you want someone else to do it, I second the suggestion of using a handyman.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,172,435 times
We are considering getting a second flat screen that will be mounted on the wall. I looked at Best Buy and the mounting kits are $100, they are $10-25 on Monoprice.com. To mount them it looks like all you need to do is screw in a few screws and attach the tv, nothing all that complicated.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,244,896 times
I installed a simple tilt wall mount for a 46" LCD. Piece of cake. If you can hang a framed picture you can do this. You just have to be able to locate the center of the studs, have a long level in order to make your marks straight, and have the appropriate tools (drill) for screwing them to the wall.

HOWEVER

One of my neighbors has a 52" LCD above the mantle of his fireplace. The issue they ran into was cord connections. They had none above the mantle and had to have an electrical and cable outlet installed and had to route the HDMI cables to the cabinet where the Cable and Blue Ray player were beside the fireplace. Total PITA. This is why I'd never do it at my place....but to each his own.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,110,439 times
As far as why to mount it is personal choice and aesthetics mostly. There is a safety/security concern too.

Even with a good base most of the larger sets are required to be anchored to the item they are sitting on and/or wall. This is due to the weight distribution vs a box tv. They are prone to tipping. A small quake or bumping the furniture or the like and over they go. Not something that big glass screen can handle very well.

Oh and when I got robbed they pulled my 52" away from the wall on its swing arm but then left it. It looks like they saw how well it was mounted and decided not to bother, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House