U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Default estimate

[quote=BigDGeek;11625968]I had a gas leak in my house today. The gas company was not able to fix it and told me to call a plumber. The leak is behind the hot water heater; don't know any more than that. I was told after the leak is fixed there will have to be a pressure test and an inspection.

Can someone tell me roughly how much to expect to pay for this, or is there not enough info? Thanks and can u send me a estimate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
i have gas leak from meter to house. How much it going to cost me. About 35 ft run.

Unread 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM

4,281 posts, read 3,810,107 times
While gas can be dangerous, the actual piping/connections are very basic and easy to work with. Typically the gas will be run in via black iron pipe to the device (hot water heater, stove, etc.) then connected to the device via flexiable metal connector pipe. There might be a shutoff valve on the supply pipe at the device end. If not then you may have to shut the gas off to the entire house.

It is critical that each threaded connection be sealed with pipe dope, pipe joint compound, etc. Look it up online. There several videos showing how to do this.

To test for leaks, one can apply a soapy water mixture and soap bubbles will form (like kids blowing bubbles) where a leak is. Some will test each joint after working on with soap bubbles. Quite often the best test is your nose smelling the gas. Smells kind of like rotten eggs.

If you have never threaded pipes together nor used pipe dope, you might just want to hire someone that does it for a living.

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,258 times
I had a leak and the gas company came out and pulled my meter. I called a plumber he came out found the leak replaced the iron pipe. then a city inspector had to come out and check it and sign off on it. then I called the gas company out and they gave me my meter back.. in all it was $900 and a month without gas. lesson to learn if you have a leak never call the gas company 1st...

Unread 07-30-2012, 06:53 AM

5,989 posts, read 17,191,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surethingbud View Post
...lesson to learn if you have a leak never call the gas company 1st...
You obviously DIDN'T learn a lesson!
What you should have taken from this experience is this-

$900 and one month later you were capable of writing a post on a thread about gas leaks.

Unread 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 379 times
Advice - NEVER call the Gas Company. They will turn off your gas and LOCK it. You'll have a hard time finding a plumber who can find leaks without the gas turned on. Those that do charge exorbitant prices.

Unread 11-18-2013, 05:14 PM

359 posts, read 238,672 times
as an old gasman,we only repair minor leaks...........like 15 min. or less for free,then $250 per hr.most would be fixed in less than 1 hr.

Unread 11-19-2013, 11:44 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,390,103 times
It should be a pretty simple DIY. I am not familiar with the types of home connections but at work I work with gas chromatography and have lines everywhere. I work with Swagelok ferrules and 1/4" steel and 1/8" Cu and Steel lines including hydrogen. I find leaks by dripping 50% rubbing alcohol (isopropanol)/water arround connections and looking for bubbles. Actualy dishsoap water works better but it contaminates stuff at work. If I find bubbles I either tighten it or I cut the whole thing off and redo the connection with brand new fittings.

Unread 11-19-2013, 11:59 AM

2,569 posts, read 911,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The gas company will not do any repairs. They supply the gas and will only turn off the gas if there is a leak. They don't have contractors or plumbers. It's standard anywhere for the gas company to regulate and monitor the supply. The plumber who does the repairs can do the test to check for further leaks or problems. it's not really all that expensive when you consider the alternative....BOOM
The gas company will do repairs if the leak is outside the house. I had a leak in my gas line from the street to the house. They were able to fit a sleeve over it to repair it, but if they had had to replace the pipe, they would have gone from the street line, to the house, including adding a new meter, and connecting the line in the house. I didn't have to pay for anything, and wouldn't have paid anything if they had had to do the more expensive operation.

PS. They worked late into the night to get it fixed because it was November, and then came into the house to relight the water tank (the furnace is electric/electronic ignition).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You obviously DIDN'T learn a lesson!
What you should have taken from this experience is this-

$900 and one month later you were capable of writing a post on a thread about gas leaks.
True that. Should have paid $1200 to get the gas back on a lot sooner.

Unread 11-19-2013, 05:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,390,103 times

Sealing Black Iron Pipe Joints - YouTube

Homes just use fittings with threads on the pipes fitting into the fittings and sealing with either pipe dope, or yellow teflon tape (don't use standard plumbing white it deteriorates in time). You simply need pipe wrenches, and possibly a die/reemer to make new threads but most likely undo the pipe from the fitting, perhaps buy a new fitting, and redo. check for leak with dishsoap water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House