U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2009, 02:57 PM

15,969 posts, read 14,433,021 times

Advertisements

I had a gas leak in my house today. The gas company was not able to fix it and told me to call a plumber. The leak is behind the hot water heater; don't know any more than that. I was told after the leak is fixed there will have to be a pressure test and an inspection.

Can someone tell me roughly how much to expect to pay for this, or is there not enough info? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 03:08 PM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
It really depends on what is leaking. I'm curious why the gas company could not fix it. Did they turn off the gas?

Since the leak could be as simple as replacing the flex gas line connector for the water heater, or as difficult as a hard pipe leak under ground it is really impossible to tell from such a vague post on the internet.
IN some areas a plumber works on gas lines, in others, it's a HVAC contractor. Depending on what the labor rates are for your area, it might be a minimum 1 hour call, up to 3 -4 hours.

Replacing a flex gas line is very simple and should take 10 minutes, which probably falls into the minimum service call for most contractors.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I had a gas leak in my house today. The gas company was not able to fix it and told me to call a plumber. The leak is behind the hot water heater; don't know any more than that. I was told after the leak is fixed there will have to be a pressure test and an inspection.

Can someone tell me roughly how much to expect to pay for this, or is there not enough info? Thanks.
I too find it extremely strange that a gas company would not IMMEDIATELY come out and fix a gas leak. That's just nuts!

Anyway... The gas company shouldn't really charge to do an inspection, though they might.

The plumber will probably charge about $75 for the service call, plus $100 per hour labor ($150 if it's after hours), and will also charge an exorbitant price for whatever parts he uses (if it's a simple flex line you can buy at Home Depot for $15, the plumber will charge you about $75).

I'd guess that your "best case scenario" is going to be about $350 total.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
It really depends on what is leaking. I'm curious why the gas company could not fix it. Did they turn off the gas?

Since the leak could be as simple as replacing the flex gas line connector for the water heater, or as difficult as a hard pipe leak under ground it is really impossible to tell from such a vague post on the internet.
IN some areas a plumber works on gas lines, in others, it's a HVAC contractor. Depending on what the labor rates are for your area, it might be a minimum 1 hour call, up to 3 -4 hours.

Replacing a flex gas line is very simple and should take 10 minutes, which probably falls into the minimum service call for most contractors.
The guy said something about a line but he was very non-specific and did not write details down to give to me, so I have no more information than what I gave. I realize it's kind of vague.

My house is a pier and beam so at least it is easier to access gas lines if they have to do it; they don't have to dig into a slab or anything.

Edited to add: The contractor who installed the hot water heater, which is the general location of the leak, is a friend of a friend and has agreed to come out tomorrow to take a look at it. If it's something simple he can take care of it at friend prices. Failing that he can at least give me a lot of information about what the problem really is, we can get the supplies to fix it together, and it will hopefully cost a lot less in the end.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:02 PM

857 posts, read 2,616,897 times
Second the question about whether the gas was turned off. If you know you have a leak, you really need to have the gas turned OFF.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Edited to add: The contractor who installed the hot water heater, which is the general location of the leak, is a friend of a friend and has agreed to come out tomorrow to take a look at it. If it's something simple he can take care of it at friend prices. Failing that he can at least give me a lot of information about what the problem really is, we can get the supplies to fix it together, and it will hopefully cost a lot less in the end.
Honestly, I'm a little concerned that you have natural gas leaking into your house.

YouTube - CCTV: Gas leak Explosion of 2 story house in KY

Old 11-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
Second the question about whether the gas was turned off. If you know you have a leak, you really need to have the gas turned OFF.
My first response to smelling gas was to call Atmos. They came and shut the gas off.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
My first response to smelling gas was to call Atmos. They came and shut the gas off.
That's good to hear!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:59 PM

4,871 posts, read 7,630,668 times
Quote:
The guy said something about a line but he was very non-specific and did not write details down to give to me, so I have no more information than what I gave. I realize it's kind of vague.

My house is a pier and beam so at least it is easier to access gas lines if they have to do it; they don't have to dig into a slab or anything.

Shouldn't cost anything if the flexible line on the HW tank is leaking. Gas lines aren't tough to fix. I have gas and have replaced my water heater, most of the old valves to newer ones.. Not tough at all.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:20 AM

3,360 posts, read 10,442,961 times
The gas company will not do any repairs. They supply the gas and will only turn off the gas if there is a leak. They don't have contractors or plumbers. It's standard anywhere for the gas company to regulate and monitor the supply. The plumber who does the repairs can do the test to check for further leaks or problems. it's not really all that expensive when you consider the alternative....BOOM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House