U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
15,969 posts, read 14,433,021 times
Reputation: 13329

Advertisements

I have a gas leak. (Gas is shut off.) Right now the plumber thinks it is a minute one under the house, they are coming back tomorrow to continue investigating. If it is in the house then my home warranty will cover it and this will not cost me much.

However, the gas line running from the meter to the house is copper and is quite old. If it does not pass a pressure test even with all the house leaks fixed, then I am screwed as it is not covered and it will have to be replaced before the city will allow the gas to be turned back on. (If it passes a pressure test, it does not have to be replaced; I checked with the city's plumbing inspector.)

I have heard wildly different estimates on how much this might cost. My driveway would have to be dug up for this to be done. The length of the line is maybe 25-30 feet. It goes underground from a meter near the back fence and connects to the house at the exterior, if any of that helps.

I know nobody can tell me exactly how much it might cost, but a ballpark might help put my mind at ease. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 AM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Reputation: 9904
This might not be a lot of help but we looked into running a gas line from the meter to our garage to hook up a gas grill, it would have been through grass so no driveway excavation and it was about 50 feet. They ballparked it at about $500. We never got around to doing that so I don't know what it would have been for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Reputation: 3665
I may be completely wrong here, but isn't the gas line - right up to the meter - the gas company's responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
6,751 posts, read 7,479,573 times
Reputation: 10874
yes, up to the meter. OP is concerned about the 25' FROM the meter to the house - it's the homeowner's responsibility there.

OP, try this place - ServiceMaster - to get a quote, guesstimate - Gas Pipe Installation Dallas TX | Repair Gas Piping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM
 
22,274 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Reputation: 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have a gas leak. (Gas is shut off.) Right now the plumber thinks it is a minute one under the house, they are coming back tomorrow to continue investigating. If it is in the house then my home warranty will cover it and this will not cost me much.

However, the gas line running from the meter to the house is copper and is quite old. If it does not pass a pressure test even with all the house leaks fixed, then I am screwed as it is not covered and it will have to be replaced before the city will allow the gas to be turned back on. (If it passes a pressure test, it does not have to be replaced; I checked with the city's plumbing inspector.)

I have heard wildly different estimates on how much this might cost. My driveway would have to be dug up for this to be done. The length of the line is maybe 25-30 feet. It goes underground from a meter near the back fence and connects to the house at the exterior, if any of that helps.

I know nobody can tell me exactly how much it might cost, but a ballpark might help put my mind at ease. Thanks!
I would use a Ditch-Witch and bore it under the drive way. You do not have to dig it up. If I lived near you it would take about one hour and you would never know we did it in a few days.

Last edited by Driller1; 11-17-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Reputation: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
yes, up to the meter. OP is concerned about the 25' FROM the meter to the house - it's the homeowner's responsibility there.

OP, try this place - ServiceMaster - to get a quote, guesstimate - Gas Pipe Installation Dallas TX | Repair Gas Piping
Ahhhh... Sorry for my oversight.

On the other hand, I've never seen a house where the meter was anywhere but right on the outside wall of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
 
22,274 posts, read 17,441,633 times
Reputation: 9052
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
yes, up to the meter. OP is concerned about the 25' FROM the meter to the house - it's the homeowner's responsibility there.

OP, try this place - ServiceMaster - to get a quote, guesstimate - Gas Pipe Installation Dallas TX | Repair Gas Piping
Just remain mindful that is just an advertising site. Not necessarily good or bad contractors. No different from the phone book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Richardson, TX
15,969 posts, read 14,433,021 times
Reputation: 13329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ahhhh... Sorry for my oversight.

On the other hand, I've never seen a house where the meter was anywhere but right on the outside wall of the house.
This one is along the back fence and is as far from the house as you can get and still be on the property. Maybe they built them differently back then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
4,873 posts, read 7,630,668 times
Reputation: 3731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Ahhhh... Sorry for my oversight.

On the other hand, I've never seen a house where the meter was anywhere but right on the outside wall of the house.
They are often quite far from the homes out here in North Central WV. I've seen some 300' away along the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Location: I think my user name clarifies that.
8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Reputation: 3665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They are often quite far from the homes out here in North Central WV. I've seen some 300' away along the road.
Wow. I've never seen that before. Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top