U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 PM

823 posts, read 2,575,911 times

Advertisements

Apparently our washer/dryer in our new home are on their way out. My husband wants to purchase a front loader for both. I think they are very expensive but I guess it's well worth the $$. If you have any of these items and like them (or dislike them), please let me know the manufacturer and type. I never knew there was so much to know about washer and dryers until I started researching it online today.

Please let me know which brands you like as I am getting mixed reviews on via the internet.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 04:11 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,831,619 times
you can check out this thread I started
Top or Front load washer which to choose

I did buy a Fridgedaire front load and so far I do like them. I did not get the pedestals because they cost so much. The only problems I have had are I added a little too much clorox to one load and you could smell it the other is I had soap suds one time on the door after the load was finished.

I am amazed at how little water it uses.. I have been happy with the way it cleans too. I think it would be nice to be able to just do another rinse once it is finished but that is my only complaint after the clorox over dose.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM

14,162 posts, read 44,724,307 times
We have the Kenmore smaller W & D set that was sold at Sears a few years ago - these are "european" sized machines - actually they have been 100% reliable and I like them very well, the front-load washer is much more gentle to the clothes so they last longer.

You do need to leave the door open at least a crack so it can dry out between uses. DW is from Ukraine and would say "everybody knows that" - to which I would say "well, Dear, everybody from Ukraine knows that, but most Americans don't..."

Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM

4,152 posts, read 9,815,727 times
We have the LG steam washer and dryer. We've had it for about 2.5 years. 100% reliable, no problems thus far.
Must use HE detergent though, (it suds way less than regular detergent which is really important since there is very little water used).
We love the washer and dryer. The pedestals are unnecessary.
Definitely keep the door open to allow the drum to dry out, otherwise it can get smelly.
The gasket around the door is where the moisture tends to stay. I wipe it down in order to help it dry out faster.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,082,141 times
I have the Siemens extra large capacity. Siemens are no longer badging them anymore - they were made by Bosch.

Like Bella said - you must use HE detergent.

uses a lot less water than a top loader
clothes seem to come out drier than the top loader
clothes come out of the dryer not hot - so less shrinkage (bad in the winter when you want to jump into warm jammies)
heats the water if it is not hot enough coming into the tub

Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,329,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
We have the LG steam washer and dryer. We've had it for about 2.5 years. 100% reliable, no problems thus far.
Must use HE detergent though, (it suds way less than regular detergent which is really important since there is very little water used).
We love the washer and dryer. The pedestals are unnecessary.
Definitely keep the door open to allow the drum to dry out, otherwise it can get smelly.
The gasket around the door is where the moisture tends to stay. I wipe it down in order to help it dry out faster.
I too have the LG but bought a gas dryer instead of electric.
The entire front door of the washer needs to be dried after every use--no kidding. If you look closely at and in the gasket you will see some standing water,lint,hair,etc.............I keep a towel atop the washer to clean and dry that gasket every time! Otherwise I love the front loader. One just has to be dligent about the care. And yes-only HE detergent

Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 PM

18,788 posts, read 4,921,656 times
I have the Kemore front load washer & dryer, they're about 4 or 5 years old now, also the pedestals. They work fine but I always leave the washer door ajar to let it airdry and I run vinegar in the softener tray every once in a while. I would buy them again, they do use less water and detergent.
Buy HE detergent, it's formulated for the front loaders.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM

8,293 posts, read 23,105,592 times
About 5 years ago we bought a top-end LG washer/dryer pair. Before energy rebates & stuff, the pair cost about $1,700.

I must say though, that we really like them. They are very efficient. Also, their performance has been flawless. Not once have we had a single problem with either of them.

If we had it to do again, we'd make the same choice.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM

11,820 posts, read 15,437,707 times
We have an LG front loader, top of the line about 2 years ago. No pedestal, sitting on a concrete basement floor. Great machine. I'm washing all of my hunting clothes right now with little detergent, cold water, and it sips water and electricity.

The matching dryers are total BUNK. Unless you want the 'look', get a dryer that has a dry-sensor, so when the clothes are dry enough- it either alarms you or shuts off. We bought a big (non-matching) Kenmore dryer with the auto-dry sensor and it costs half as much as a matching LG dryer. We have large sleeping bags and other bulky things we wash by hand that need a big tumbler- so the extra large dryer was our choice. The auto sensor sounds off on small loads so we can shut it off and pull out our clothes without letting them tumble around needlessly wasting dough.

There is no credible difference in drying functions. There are no dryers labeled under the energy star ratings. Unless you need that 'look', shop wisely and save some dough so you can buy a really efficient washer.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,329,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We have an LG front loader, top of the line about 2 years ago. No pedestal, sitting on a concrete basement floor. Great machine. I'm washing all of my hunting clothes right now with little detergent, cold water, and it sips water and electricity.

The matching dryers are total BUNK. Unless you want the 'look', get a dryer that has a dry-sensor, so when the clothes are dry enough- it either alarms you or shuts off. We bought a big (non-matching) Kenmore dryer with the auto-dry sensor and it costs half as much as a matching LG dryer. We have large sleeping bags and other bulky things we wash by hand that need a big tumbler- so the extra large dryer was our choice. The auto sensor sounds off on small loads so we can shut it off and pull out our clothes without letting them tumble around needlessly wasting dough.

There is no credible difference in drying functions. There are no dryers labeled under the energy star ratings. Unless you need that 'look', shop wisely and save some dough so you can buy a really efficient washer.
my Gas LG dryer comes under the Energy Star rating. It is highly efficient and has a sensor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or