Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:45 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Scovel View Post
Actually I said that I will anchor in quiet rural settings. I will anchor just outside the main channel but away from cities. The raft will be made in 16' X 16' segments but they will be connected to form a much larger vessel. The garden will be as large as it needs to be, probably about two acres (that is about the extreme limit of what I can afford to build). That means there will be one half acre of water wheels taking a 3' bite out of a river moving along at 4-9 mph. From the efficiency of the test raft that should produce about 2,080 horsepower at a river speed of 5 mph. Most of the water will come from rain and the rest will be distilled from the river, I already have the still but the output is more like 15 gallons an hour. My only unresolved problem was how to deal with the waste legally but Ultrarunner solved that for me.
Now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is a BS thread. A 2 acre floating garden would be 660' long and 132' wide. This is not counting your living area that you previously stated would be 1/2 acre in size (an additional 66' X 330' just to keep things simple). EPA would have a field day with anybody trying to move what amounts to a huge barge on any waterway while growing a full fledged garden complete with living quarters. Even if you were doing everything 100% correct, you wouldn't get anything done with the constant boardings from the EPA, Coast Guard, etc....

To get to the size you are talking about, you would need to build about 425 of your 16 X 16 sections. The cost of the wood, floats, & hardware alone would equal buying outright a sizable chunk of land and building a home without the need to screw around with this endeavor.

Mod Cut Off Topic

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-26-2009 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 11-23-2009, 07:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt this is a BS thread. A 2 acre floating garden would be 660' long and 132' wide. This is not counting your living area that you previously stated would be 1/2 acre in size (an additional 66' X 330' just to keep things simple). EPA would have a field day with anybody trying to move what amounts to a huge barge on any waterway while growing a full fledged garden complete with living quarters. Even if you were doing everything 100% correct, you wouldn't get anything done with the constant boardings from the EPA, Coast Guard, etc....

To get to the size you are talking about, you would need to build about 425 of your 16 X 16 sections. The cost of the wood, floats, & hardware alone would equal buying outright a sizable chunk of land and building a home without the need to screw around with this endeavor.

Mod Cut: Off Topic
Exactly what I was thinking. The first post said 16' x 16' and now it's 2 acres. Man that raft would be as large as a Disney cruise ship. It would take more then a few plastic barrels to float that thing. Sorry but I give up on my advice and encouragement since it did not seem to be apreaciated or acknowledged.

Did anyone mention that this would not be registerable under current mariner laws? You need a VIN # to register a vessel. If your vessel is home made then it is the job of the State Police to come sign off that it is indeed sea worthy. You will then be issued a home made vessel permit to register. Ain't gona happen here.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-26-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 PM

I went ahead and googled the guys name. He been posting the same idea on various forums since 2002. The guy is no dope. I been reading what he has to say. He is rather intelligent so maybe give him some slack.

Come on now people. Most of us have a little dream or fantasy of playing Tom Hanks in a Castaway life being deserted on an island and trying to survive off the land. So for that alone dont put him down. He just might get the last laugh at us.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
He may have had the same idea for the last 7 or more years, but that doesn't automatically make out as having a GOOD idea. For one thing he claims he is going to do this on the Mississippi river and has done his calculations at a river speed of 5MPH which is high for most of the Mississippi. Speeds range from 1.3 to 3 MPH for most of it's length except for flood times.

A 2 acre garden raft + 1/2 acre "waterwheel" raft + 1/4 acre living raft is huge. Even if it were kept to 128' wide (8 X 16' wide sections) it would stretch almost 936' in length. That is well into the size that IS regulated on our waterways. Because he plans on having a couple Chevy 350's and a 401 as propulsion it doesn't matter what shape it takes on, it is considered a powered watercraft and at that size needs to follow commercial guidelines and regulations. At 2 acres in surface area and 16" deep with soil for just the "garden", that is getting into large tonnage. (about 4300 cubic yards of soil @ an average weight of 75 pounds per yard of loose soil = 322,500 pounds of just soil(161.25 tons)) USCG Federal laws USCG federal regulations

He may have been spouting his idea for several years, but his questions and responses show that he really hasn't delved too deeply into what is involved in making and floating something of this size legally. I have an idea that IF he is being serious about this thought, it is more of a mental exercise, than an idea with intent to actually follow through to completion.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I believe you have your terminology wrong. I agree with the others that here is no legal "septic system" But there are legal sewage treatment systems made for boats such as this

Electro Scan Type 1 Marine Sanitation Device

Quote:
Like its predecessor (the Lectra/San), Electro Scan utilizes electrodes which temporarily convert salt water into a powerful bactericide. The treated waste water then safely and conveniently reverts back to its original state of salt and water which meets EPA Type I standards for overboard discharge. This environmentally sound process helps eliminate costly pump out hassles. Compared to its predecessor, Electro Scan consistently controls the electrodes to reduce power consumption, drawing 37 amps for two minutes (@12V DC) resulting in a mere 1.3Ah per cycle! It features easy touch pad operation and may be installed with one or two heads to form a complete sanitation system.
Regulations vary considerably from state to state on what kind of discharges are allowed. You need to research the actual restrictions for your area.

Marine Sanitation Devices | Vessel Discharges > Vessel Sewage Discharge Program | US EPA

Some areas are designated No Discharge Zones and do not allow any kind of discharge at all, even from approved Marine Sanitation Devices.
No Discharge Zones

I looked for it but was not able to find any indication that any part of the Mississippi River was a "No Discharge Zone".

Old 11-24-2009, 04:02 PM

139 posts, read 568,968 times
Quote:

Is this the same goober who was going to go camping in Alaska and wrestle Grizzle Bears while covered in bear pee? Sounds like the same type of drug induced flight of fancy. lone traveler, is this you again? gettin lost woods camping (which by the way is one of the funniest threads EVER on C-D, take the time and look through it.)

thanks bydand, you cracked me up.i believe goober is a polite way to respond to story about a 2acre floating garden.i remember the alaska nut.he was also going to ship himself in a box to hawaii.too funny.3 acres floating on the missip.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
He may have had the same idea for the last 7 or more years, but that doesn't automatically make out as having a GOOD idea. For one thing he claims he is going to do this on the Mississippi river and has done his calculations at a river speed of 5MPH which is high for most of the Mississippi. Speeds range from 1.3 to 3 MPH for most of it's length except for flood times.

A 2 acre garden raft + 1/2 acre "waterwheel" raft + 1/4 acre living raft is huge. Even if it were kept to 128' wide (8 X 16' wide sections) it would stretch almost 936' in length. That is well into the size that IS regulated on our waterways. Because he plans on having a couple Chevy 350's and a 401 as propulsion it doesn't matter what shape it takes on, it is considered a powered watercraft and at that size needs to follow commercial guidelines and regulations. At 2 acres in surface area and 16" deep with soil for just the "garden", that is getting into large tonnage. (about 4300 cubic yards of soil @ an average weight of 75 pounds per yard of loose soil = 322,500 pounds of just soil(161.25 tons)) USCG Federal laws USCG federal regulations

He may have been spouting his idea for several years, but his questions and responses show that he really hasn't delved too deeply into what is involved in making and floating something of this size legally. I have an idea that IF he is being serious about this thought, it is more of a mental exercise, than an idea with intent to actually follow through to completion.
Good post. You did your homework and I agree with everything you said.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Thread Closed Pending Review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House