Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:44 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times

Advertisements

Exactly - maybe I wasn't clear enough. I didn't believe it either, but had a few powerful magnets lying around and decided to do a hidden experiment. The fact that my dad unknowingly had magnets on his cold water line in, and at the same time continued to have hard water problems (in these parts that's how they're advertised - as a cure for hard water deposits) debunked it for me. There was no difference with or without them.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:24 AM

62 posts, read 256,946 times
No, you were clear. You should see some of the mails I get from "those" companies threatening me with lawsuits, intimidation and such, but in the end, NONE of them can or will back up their claims. I have offered to independently lab test their products and you would not believe the run around I get there also. Why these crooks are allowed to perpetuate these scams only the atty. general can answer but as far as I am concerned they all should be shut down.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
No, you were clear. You should see some of the mails I get from "those" companies threatening me with lawsuits, intimidation and such, but in the end, NONE of them can or will back up their claims. I have offered to independently lab test their products and you would not believe the run around I get there also. Why these crooks are allowed to perpetuate these scams only the atty. general can answer but as far as I am concerned they all should be shut down.
IMO, no one should deal with potable water except a licensed professional.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
The whole magnet thing came from an experiemnt done by some university. The idea is that the magnetic field aligns the particulate matter i teh water so that it will nto stick to anything. Thus, the water remains hard and still tastes good (minerals make water tase better) but will nto stick to clothing and dishes. They tried to make this work using a magnetic field generator the size of a house. They did get some positive results. I would nto call their results conclusive, but it seemed to work. It was postulated that a more powerful magnetic field would work better. Thus, if you want to build a magnetic field generator the size of a shopping mall and run your water throguh that, it might provide the effect that you want without actually sofetning the water.

The potassium option for regular softeners eliminates regualr salt and repelaces it with potassium (I think it is potassium chloride replacing sodium chloride, but I amnot sure abotu the chemistry). which can cause health problems of its own. But at leats you will not get cramps if you drink water loaded with potassium. Potassium is quite a bit more expensive.

What my father did with their extremely hard water was to soften the water, but instal a seperate tap for hard water for drinking. Most hard water is good for you to drink. It contains iron among other minerals that you need anyway. Why remove the minerals from your water and then end up taking supplements to get the minerals that you need?

Old 11-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The whole magnet thing came from an experiemnt done by some university. The idea is that the magnetic field aligns the particulate matter i teh water so that it will nto stick to anything. Thus, the water remains hard and still tastes good (minerals make water tase better) but will nto stick to clothing and dishes. They tried to make this work using a magnetic field generator the size of a house. They did get some positive results. I would nto call their results conclusive, but it seemed to work. It was postulated that a more powerful magnetic field would work better. Thus, if you want to build a magnetic field generator the size of a shopping mall and run your water throguh that, it might provide the effect that you want without actually sofetning the water.

The potassium option for regular softeners eliminates regualr salt and repelaces it with potassium (I think it is potassium chloride replacing sodium chloride, but I amnot sure abotu the chemistry). which can cause health problems of its own. But at leats you will not get cramps if you drink water loaded with potassium. Potassium is quite a bit more expensive.

What my father did with their extremely hard water was to soften the water, but instal a seperate tap for hard water for drinking. Most hard water is good for you to drink. It contains iron among other minerals that you need anyway. Why remove the minerals from your water and then end up taking supplements to get the minerals that you need?
We have hard water. I just love it they way it is!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:49 AM

101 posts, read 545,892 times
Default Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why? Indeed, why?

I am neither an alarmist or a scientist. I don't pretend to be a nutirionist or treehugger, but I always find the old 'nature's-water-is-good-for-you' routine a bit in the clouds.
Look here for typical contaminants found in ground waters across the US. This is not to imply that your water contains these but this is just a small list of the thousands of contaminants that DO exist.
Drinking Water Contaminants | Safewater| Water | US EPA

We have customers that continue to drink water from rain-catchment systems off their roofs ignoring the fact that birds crap on it, asphalt shingle shed their residue, farming chemicals collect there and the dead leaves mulching in the eaves troughs adds to the "Nature's water". Others simply don't put milk in their coffee because it curdles in hard ground water!!! A glass of Lipton tea looks like coffee and foams around the edges. Whew!

The contaminants going into the ground water from pollution, neglect and farming/industry is becoming astounding. Last night, I saw a program that stated nearly 90% of all smallmouth bass males in the US are taking on female charactoristics (producing eggs) due to pollution in ground waters. There is a fear that the species will disappear, not due to over-fishing like some species, but to genetics caused by pollution in the same waters that many out there find wonderful to provide for their families WITHOUT treatment...or consideration, let alone concern. Whew!
Cool May weather delayed smallmouth bass season - Beacon News, The (Aurora, IL) | Encyclopedia.com (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1N1-0EFEFFFFF8435A60.html - broken link)

Moreover, I believe water should be a transporter of nutritients NOT a supplier. Put as much philosophy in a proper diet/exercise and you would benefit far more. Water is one thing I am rarely glib about.

The arguement that water contains iron and calcium and magnesium, ad naseum, would be valid (and I would support it) if two things were true.
One: that that were all it contained and absolutely nothing else were also polluting the beverage, and
Two: you were able to drink, what?, 12 gallons a day to provide the minimum amount of a given nutrient that, say and 10oz glass of milk, or a selection of fruit, nuts and vegetables in what should be inclusive in a typical meal may...without causing hyperhydration (water intoxication). Whew!

Most of us rarely even fulfill the minimun 8 glasses a day anyway. I don't see the benefit of accepting a host of unknown contaminants for an infinitesimal amount of so-called positive nutrients commonly found in readily available and delicious foods. Ah!

Even furthermore, can you say the the potassium from a banana, apricot, avocado, cantaloupe, kiwi, lima beans equals that that comes from the dudious water ground? Ah!

...that the iron from raw ore mineral deposits dissolved by acid rain is preferreed to that found in red meat, liver, herbs and choice breakfast cereals? Ah!

...would you recommend going out to the driveway, grab a handleful of gravel and dissolve it is white vinager for three days, drink it down and say, "Hey, I got my calcium for the day in a pH-balanced beverage."? Whew!

The calcium in your hard, untreated ground water--is that 0.002%, 2% or... 20,000% of your daily recommended needs? I wonder how that is monitored, adjusted and managed? Is excess calcium from dissolved rock (you know that crusty stuff that builds up around your stainless steel faucets and plugs up pipes) passed through the urine tract; stored in blood vessels, organs or the skeletal system; or collects in layers and layers in places like, I don't know, kidney stones? Whew!

Which is more important: the water that goes ON your body, or the water that goes IN your body? Uhm?

Well, I don't think I would convince you to change your lifestyle but I will certianly continue to maintain excellence in water consumption. I certainly find the water that interacts with all the cells, organs and tissue of my body more important that my water for my laundry and washing cars, which I DO treat as well.

I would rather say "Ah!" than "Whew!" when it comes to a tall glass of cool, clear CLEAN water.

Take care of your water, and your water will take care of you.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 AM

62 posts, read 256,946 times
Nice post Andy, good read.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
I'm glad someone brought up this topic. We have a Kinetico System at one house, water softener and RO. At our Winter home we recently rented a Culligan water softener and my husband installed an RO system we purchased from Home Depot. Both homes are in areas with hard water. I have to say the Culligan water softener seems to work much better than the Kinetico. My skin feels softer, as does my hair. Even the ice cubes feel slippery, as the water is slick. We looked into Easy Water and the reviews just didn't look good. I think when my Kinetico system dies, I'll go with Culligan.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'm glad someone brought up this topic. We have a Kinetico System at one house, water softener and RO. At our Winter home we recently rented a Culligan water softener and my husband installed an RO system we purchased from Home Depot. Both homes are in areas with hard water. I have to say the Culligan water softener seems to work much better than the Kinetico. My skin feels softer, as does my hair. Even the ice cubes feel slippery, as the water is slick. We looked into Easy Water and the reviews just didn't look good. I think when my Kinetico system dies, I'll go with Culligan.
Good point. The area you live in makes a difference. I am VERY fortunate to have the water I do!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun.../fi-culligan26

This did pass. I finally got it to post!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House