Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:42 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

I must have NO taste at all!!!! I liked the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Looks like things are moving along pretty nicely which is a good thing. Keep up the good work.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:26 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Do you wish you would have rented a small U-Haul trailer to bring more tools down? Are there any lumber reclaimer near you that would take the cabinets, sinks and tubs? You wouldn't have to pay to dispose of them that way. One man's junk is another's treasure. Thanks for the update.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
I was just thinking the same thing as Jaxon! I'm not sure where you are in Florida, but I know that there are Habitat for Humanity stores in the state, they will take alot of your things intact, sink toilets, etc (if you can slow Mike and his sledgehammer down)!
So great to see everything so far....what a nice way to start the week!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Lisa,
Question.....our bathroom also has those dreaded sliding doors and track attached to the bathtub. Are you going to be able to refinish the tub or have to replace it all together?
(yes I know the bathroom is already done lol)
I want to take them out but not sure just how much work I want to put into it.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I am absolutely thrilled to find this thread. Lisa, you and mike have more energy than is humanly possible. ROFL.

I followed the build of your TN home and now we have not one, but two flips to look forward to.

I really appreciate the fact that you document all of this so thoroughly. The photos are much appreciated and the monologue is really great.

Thanks for this, YoungLisa. And of course, Mike and Nikki the Wonder Dog.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:21 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Thanks for the invite Lisa....and also, thanks for the comments on my pictures. I only posted a few of the front/outside of the house. The house is located in Western WA, a little beach cabin from the 1930's. I redid the whole interior of the house, but didn't decorate or anything.....it was simply an inexpensive facelift for an elderly lady who desperately needed someone to get it ready to sell. I did it myself!...well, with a bit of help from my daughter...including laying all new carpeting! Hubby works full-time, so he wasn't able to really help out.. Besides, he's the one who's bought me most of my tools over the years...LOL...He thinks I'm easy to shop for. Hm...does she have this tool? Nope? Well okay then!

I love that you and Mike do these things together.....and you are SOOOO good at it! I love the location of your new project too...and what a great time of year to have an excuse to be in Florida, on a waterway......lucky gal! Good choice. I can't wait to see next week's installment!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Demo is fun!

Love the pics!

Good luck and have a blast.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good morning all. Well in real time we got our install date for the carpet, 12-28, 09. We know have to hustle to finish up and get into the other house before then. Mike is calling me a slave driver.

Again thank you all for writing in.

texasfirewheel- Thank you for your continued support.

Driller- I bet you'll like our kitchen too, lol

LuckyLady- Thank you for your comments.

Jaxson- Oh yeah it would have been so much better if we had brought all of our tools with us. Now we have double sets. Maybe we can sell them before we go back home.

Jaxson and Bella- Thank you for your suggestions about recycling things from our house. There are a couple of issues, for us, with that. 1. Mike doesn't have the patience to take things apart gently and 2. We hate waiting around for people and schedules. In the past we have promised things to people only to have them inconvenience us because they aren't "get r done" people. OK so that's our excuse but we did put some things out by the curb and those items did get a new home. We also gave away a lot of stuff form the second house like appliances, fixtures, and flooring.

GrannySue- It costs more to re glaze our tub than to tear it out and replace it with a new one. So you know what we did, lol.

Taking the shower doors isn't a bad job but you will end up with repair work on the walls unless you buy a whole new acrylic tub and surround. That is a fairly easy fix but you still have to do the plumbing. In our case we will have a new tub, have the walls replaced, and install tile. I hope that helps.

ketabcha- Thank you. I love that "Niki the wonder dog" lol. She has been a spoiled lazy dog longing by the pool, lol. Lucky dog.

beachmel- A woman with tools. Woo hoo. Thanks for writing in.

plaidmom- Oh yeah. I love demo. It's a great stress reliever, lol.

Have a great day everyone. I will be off line while we paint the room I use as an office.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Just wanted to write a short note. I followed your TN thread from nearly the beginning silently without interupting and loved it and was ecstatic when I saw you were starting a new one. Thanks to both you and Mike for this! We're closing on our first home this week and I can't wait to start little projects around our house - projects that you both have honestly given me the confidence to contemplate.

What city in FL is this house in?

Wish you both the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House