Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

Print the instructions. They are quite detailed.

In short- burn smaller hot fires, close the damper when the stove is warmed and the cat fires up. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
I heated with wood for years. Until I replaced our stove with a furnace we went through a couple of years of getting up in a forty degree house until I started up the day's fire.

I just used newspaper and kindling (mostly split from my firewood) to get it started. You'll learn quickly.

$240 a cord seems expensive. You might want to follow this link to evaluate the price per million BTU for different fuel types. It's keyed to Vermont fuel prices, but you can extrapolate because the BTU content doesn't change.

http://publicservice.vermont.gov/pub/fuel-price-report/09nov.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM

66 posts, read 212,642 times
so I used the catalytic today and got my cord of food stacked in my wooden shed. It was a very productive day.

When I opened the top to look in a huuuge puff of smoke came out now that I have the damper down.
How am I supposed to get wood in there if the smoke is the crazy, do I open then damper first?

Should the back air vent be open or close when the catalytic is on?

I also bought a magnetic tempature gauage, the directions dont say where I should put it, where do you guys think I should put it??

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM

43,279 posts, read 77,092,464 times
http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/2008/2000956_Encore_25501.pdf (broken link)

Read the whole manual thoroughly.
Read page 23 about having the damper open when starting a fire or adding fuel.

From Page 27:
"Wood-burning is an art rather than a science. Once the stove and chimney system are in place, you can only vary your technique, mostly your timing, to achieve good results. If you keep track of your burning habits and relate them to their effects on the stove’s operation, you’ll be rewarded with good performance and a safe system."

Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJ View Post
so I used the catalytic today and got my cord of food stacked in my wooden shed. It was a very productive day.

When I opened the top to look in a huuuge puff of smoke came out now that I have the damper down.
How am I supposed to get wood in there if the smoke is the crazy, do I open then damper first?

Should the back air vent be open or close when the catalytic is on?

I also bought a magnetic tempature gauage, the directions dont say where I should put it, where do you guys think I should put it??

Thanks!
Yes.. please open all dampers when adding wood, and you may have to keep them open until your freshly added wood get's going.
I used two magnetic thermometers. One on the side of the stove about mid-way up to monitor the temperature of the stove, and one on the metal flue to measure the exhaust gas temperature.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yes.. please open all dampers when adding wood, and you may have to keep them open until your freshly added wood get's going.
I used two magnetic thermometers. One on the side of the stove about mid-way up to monitor the temperature of the stove, and one on the metal flue to measure the exhaust gas temperature.
So I should put it on the outside of the stove, on the sidewall you think? They dont go inside the stove right?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM

No. They don't go inside.

I'm not being mean, but do you own a fire extinguisher?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No. They don't go inside.

I'm not being mean, but do you own a fire extinguisher?

Ha, yes I do. Its by the stove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House