Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2009, 08:04 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times

Advertisements

Have you ever lived in a 3 story home? What kind of home was it, Victorian, ect? What was the floor plan like, bedrooms on both upper stories? Was it difficult to heat or air-condition? In what State/Province was the home located? I grew up in South Florida where both 2 and 3 story homes are exceedingly rare hence I have always had a fascination for both, but especially for 3 story homes. I would love to one day own a 3 story Victorian.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
My family spent many years in a three-story Colonial house in suburban Connecticut. The bottom level had the kitchen, dining room and my dad's office (and the basement, which was dug into the side of a hill). The second floor had the living room, master bed/bath, two sun porches and a large "foyer" type area. The third floor was added sometime after the first two levels were complete, and contained two extra bedrooms, "the kids'" bathroom, and another large hallway/foyer type area.

It was ALWAYS cold on the third floor in the winter and while we didn't have air conditioning, I don't remember it being too terribly hot in the summer.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I grew up in one and had many friends that had them as well. The floor plans were all different but they had the basics on the main floor, living room, dining room, kitchen and most had axillary rooms like libraries, music rooms or whatever people used them for. The second floor had bedrooms and bathrooms. The third floor depended on the house, most were walk-up attic spaces but some were finished rooms (more bedrooms, office space, etc.). A couple of the houses actually had ballrooms on the 3rd floor. Most of the houses were Victorian styles or similar. Some of them now have been converted into Bed and Breakfasts.

Technically all of these houses would be 4 stories as they all had basements too.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
We have a large walk-out basement and two more stories - two flights of stairs but the traditional look of 2 stories - we love it.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We have a large walk-out basement and two more stories - two flights of stairs but the traditional look of 2 stories - we love it.
Basements don't count when counting floors.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Many of my friends have three story houses that are all different.

All are late 1800s or early 1900s in Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

Example A:
Brick---not sure---very stately, recessed front porch w/columns, wrought iron, and clay tile, rounded bay type window that extends the entire length of the front of the house, french doors inside the house and three sets leading outside too --- it doesn't look like a typical victorian but my guess is that it is victorian
basement: family room, laundry room, gym room, powder room, utility room
1st floor: living room, dining room, kitchen, powder room, huge entry hall
2nd floor: master bedroom/bath, guest bedroom/bath, library, office, room type hallway
3rd floor: 3 bedrooms, 1 bath for children
If the library and office were made into bedrooms, her house would be a 7 bedroom house

Example B:
Wood Frame Victorian
basement: unfinished
1st floor: living room, dining room, kitchen, powder room, sunroom
2nd floor: 2 bedrooms, 1 bath
3rd floor: Office, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath
If the office were a bedroom, her house would be a 5 bedroom house.

Example C:
Stone Tudor Revival
basement: media room, pool room, powder room, laundry room
1st floor: kitchen, living room, dining room, office, family room, sunroom, powder room, huge entry hall
2nd floor: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths (1 of which are masters), large hallway that's bigger than rooms in most people's houses
3rd floor: 3 bedrooms, 1 bath

Examples A & C have winding staircases with landings on each floor so the 3rd floor is completely tied into the house plan. It's not like going to an attic.

Example B has a straight staircase design. You go down a long hallway on the second floor to access the staircase to the third floor. Even though it's modernized and open, it still feels more like going to an attic in Example B.

I like the layout of Example A the best. The main floor is not the main living area. There's no TV in the living room. Aside from the large eat in kitchen, none of the other rooms are used so the house is always clean for guests. The entire second floor is like a massive master suite with the office and library located on that floor. Daytime is mostly spent in the family room and kitchen. Evenings are mostly spent on the 2nd floor because the library is expansive and doubles as a family room. All of the children are on the third floor so the parents aren't far removed from them at night since the second floor is a living area, not just a sleeping area like most houses.

Last edited by Hopes; 12-06-2009 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 11:28 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I grew up in one and had many friends that had them as well. The floor plans were all different but they had the basics on the main floor, living room, dining room, kitchen and most had axillary rooms like libraries, music rooms or whatever people used them for. The second floor had bedrooms and bathrooms. The third floor depended on the house, most were walk-up attic spaces but some were finished rooms (more bedrooms, office space, etc.). A couple of the houses actually had ballrooms on the 3rd floor. Most of the houses were Victorian styles or similar. Some of them now have been converted into Bed and Breakfasts.

Technically all of these houses would be 4 stories as they all had basements too.
golfgal, where did you grow up? Are these houses more common in some areas of the U.S.? Like I said before, there are very very rare in South Florida.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
golfgal, where did you grow up? Are these houses more common in some areas of the U.S.? Like I said before, there are very very rare in South Florida.
They are rare wherever there are hurricanes.

The more stories, the more stress on the structure during high winds.

That's why there are more one story houses than even two story houses in Florida.

A third or fourth story house would be exposed to ever more stress in high winds.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
I grew up in 2 similar 3 story houses which had similar set-ups.

First floor was entry foyer, sun room, living room, formal dining room, eat in kitchen, powder room, and enclosed back porch. 2nd room was bedrooms and main bathroom, with third floor divided into attic space and dormered bedrooms. Each home also had a finished basement with one of them having a walk-out. The basements had full bath, laundry area, one had a full, summer kitchen, storage areas, secondary pantry, a children's/teen's recreation area, and a workshop.

I live in a 3 floor home now with an almost identical set-up to my earliest home; with the exception that the basement has a fourth bedroom and the 3rd floor does not have a regular staircase but was initially simply an attic that was finished and still has the pull-down stairs.

Ironically, the home we just purchased as our retirement home has 1 floor, no basement, no attic, and no dining room. I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of enough stuff to not have to rent another house just for storage.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:11 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Interesting topic.

I lived in a three story house on an island in Texas. We were definitely in hurricane country.

I love older houses, but this was a "modern" late 70's house.

On the bottom floor: parking, laundry and bathroom. Two bedrooms. All tile floors.

Second floor was the true living area. Great views of the golf course and canal. Living/dining/kitchen/powder room.

Top floor: a huge master suite, plus a small den or bedroom and a full bath.

Each floor had a patio or balcony as well.

I still think of it as the "upside down house", but givien the location, it made sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House