Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times

Advertisements

^LOL

I guess I never thought about the psycological effect of TV on a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
The main issue I have with Vizio is they are basically an importer and import product from contract manufacturing companies overseas. Aside from that LG is pretty good, but not among the best pictures.
Umm...I hate to say this but they all do. I work for a very large multinational contract manufacturer and you would be surprised at the the every day items you use that are manufactured by our company. The only companies that seem to have an issue with outsourcing their manufacturing are the Japanese and you'll see that reflected in the higher cost.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
We have three Vizios and love the quality of the picture...not cheap WalMart junk at all.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Umm...I hate to say this but they all do. I work for a very large multinational contract manufacturer and you would be surprised at the the every day items you use that are manufactured by our company. The only companies that seem to have an issue with outsourcing their manufacturing are the Japanese and you'll see that reflected in the higher cost.
Yeah a lot of people would be very surprised to learn where some of their stuff is made.

You could very well own a premium brand appliance composed of components made by the lowest bidder.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
It was only recently (a few years) that Sony closed their last TV plants in the US. Although they did recently sell most of their current Mexican factory to a contract company to operate. However, Sony and the like actually design their products and employ a fair number of people in the US. Vizio is similar to an importing company, where they just buy stuff from an external company and sell it. There are so many Chinese companies that will sell stuff and put your name on it if you want.

I have to deal with such companies too, and many Japanese companies drive the contract manufacturing companies crazy since they reject a lot more stuff due to quality issues. Contract companies try to get away with various things if they can because of the low price deal they accept, though it depends on the company. We have people constantly "yelling" at them to get their act together.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 AM

211 posts, read 402,624 times
I bought a Vizio..SV470XVT... in Jan '09....love it, great picture, and no problems or complaints.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
All I can tell you is our Vizio is working great and our Samsung has a wee bit of an issue with the sound (sound must warm up before coming on).
I believe it's a crapshoot with anything electronic.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All I can tell you is our Vizio is working great and our Samsung has a wee bit of an issue with the sound (sound must warm up before coming on).
I believe it's a crapshoot with anything electronic.
Exactly. My buying process is to narrow down on 2-3 models with good picture quality in different stores and wait until they drop the price. Then I buy it. Usually if something is defective with the unit it shows up in the first 7-10 days, esp when I give my kids the green light to use it! If that happens I return it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House