U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:55 AM

3,791 posts, read 5,074,706 times

Advertisements

The thermostat in our hallway has a digital readout and is as old as our house (11 years). I keep hearing how a programmable thermostat saves money and is easier to use. That said, is it worth changing our's out? Not sure how much it would save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,854,070 times
We have a programmable thermostat. The nice thing about it is you can have it lower the temperature at bedtime and then program it to raise the temperature at a time right before you wake up so the house is warm when you get up. As far as cost savings, I have found that it is best to keep the temperature as constant as possible, particularly on very cold days. I have my thermostat programmed to drop about 2 degrees at night and times when we are away at work.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM

7,229 posts, read 7,117,498 times
Agree with Ansky - it's nice to have the heat kick on before you get out of bed.

Though I have mine set so the heat drops a lot farther down than 2 degrees at night and while I'm at work.

Also check with your electric or gas suppliers' web site - a lot of them offer a rebate for a programmable thermostat. Not much, but every little dollar helps!

Last edited by Gandalara; 12-13-2009 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Senioritis cause spelling problems :-)

Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM

We currently keep our's on 70 during the day and 69 at night. So other than being more convenient, what else does it do?

I will check out those rebates.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
1 or 2 degrees is hardly worth the trouble and savings. Most of us I believe will drop it more like 6 degrees when we are not home. More then that and you might eat up the savings by making that furnace work extra hard to warm the house back up.

To answer your question, yes they are worth it.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:51 PM

4,065 posts, read 13,366,092 times
It depends upon how you live. We are home most of the time and simply adjust the temp when we go to bed and when we get up (65/68 winter). We live in an area that seldom requires AC so summer is more a matter of adjusting windows and shades. Our unit is programmable and we never fool with it.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
It depends upon how you live. We are home most of the time and simply adjust the temp when we go to bed and when we get up (65/68 winter). We live in an area that seldom requires AC so summer is more a matter of adjusting windows and shades. Our unit is programmable and we never fool with it.
Great point. My wife is a stay at home mom and my elderly dad lives with us. Someone is here almost 24/7. Like I said, our thermo is digital and we adjust it one degree twice per day. I think we will stick with what we got.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Great point. My wife is a stay at home mom and my elderly dad lives with us. Someone is here almost 24/7. Like I said, our thermo is digital and we adjust it one degree twice per day. I think we will stick with what we got.

Thanks for the replies.

I think you might have just answered your own questions... If there is somebody there 24/7, there's probably not much value in a programmable thermostat. When, after all, are you going to drop the temps? Even at night, anything under about 65 degrees gets pretty uncomfortable.

I have a programmable thermostat in my office building. It was an inexpensive one, only costing about $39 at Lowes. I have it programmed to drop down to 60 degrees at night, then start warming up to 68 degrees at about 6:00 AM. I normally get to the office somewhere between 7:00 - 7:30. Also, nobody is there on weekends. I save some money on heat because there are long periods of time when nobody is in the building.

We also have a programmable thermostat in our house. But we don't use it. The reason is partly because ours is a big old brick house with plaster walls. When they get cold, it takes a long time to warm back up. Also, I have super-insulated and sealed this house, plus we have a heat pump and high efficiency furnace. We're heating cheaply. In fact, it's overcast and only about 20 degrees today, and the furnace is only coming on about once every 20-25 minutes, and only staying on for about 3 minutes at a time. We're doing okay.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM

4,378 posts, read 8,624,731 times
I love mine. But I use mine as a way to provide comfortable temperatures and secondly as a economical tool. My temperature differs 4-6 degrees depending if I'm home & awake, home & asleep or away.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,504,965 times
There were two driving reasons for me to replace our old thermostat:

1. I kept forgetting to turn off the heat/AC when I left the house
2. Save money (stems from #1)

In the winter months, I set the heat to go from 62 to 69 depending on whether I'm home or not. I don't know why, but I don't need the heat higher than that.

Anyway, I saw my bill drop by about 25% the first month I used it. I can say right now, that number is inflated... since I went from in a constant state of house renovation (lights on all day, power tools running, etc) to a state of renovating on weekends only. But, the real savings are in there somewhere.

Oh, stepping out of bed on a cold winter morning and having the house toasty warm is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House