Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I'm glad to hear your wife has your support in that way. I think alot of men are too threatened by that kind of independence.

I don't see myself inviting someone to live with me, either married or not until papers are signed that they are a tenant at will, I need only give a months notice and they have to leave and that regardless of our relationship, time and money they might invest in my home, I retain complete unencumbered ownership of my home...

I can't tell you the number of men that I have spoken to who would have a problem living in a home their female partner owns...I have even had some say that they would make their female partner move into a house that they owned and would expect the partner to comply (I don't comply with anyone) even if the house the man owned was substandard to what the female partner owns...

Some tell me they would expect me to sell my home and co-mingle those assets with whatever they have so we could buy another home together...the point of that being a bad idea is IF you are married AND you sell your house and co-mingle the funds, even if you money makes up 70%, you only get 50% of it back in the case of a divorce...no thanks, I have a daugther to think of.
Lisa, I can't blame you for the way you feel. You've obviously lived through some tough times so you've had to think things out and plan accordingly. I wish more women would do that! My wife is actually VERY independent-minded, has her head screwed on straight and that is a turn-on for me instead of an affront to my masculenity. I've been very fortunate; this is the first marriage for both of us (she was 25 and I was 34 when we married, so we had a good idea of what we wanted and where we were going (and, fortunately, are still going the same direction!) Love is a wonderful thing; not guaranteed but wonderful. I learned from my father's mistakes. (For a banker, he made some VERY stupid financial mistakes with the household finances when he was alive...) Considering what we've built up, if anything happened to my loving wife, I would most likely at least consider some kind of pre-nup. Especially if our financial assets weren't fairly equal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:13 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

NOT HERE...p**s me off and you just might come home and find your stuff on the front lawn...AND no question about who retains ownership of MY home...
Lisa, a woman in England did you one better; when she decided that her engagment would end, she loaded ALL her fiancé's worldly possesions into his car, drove it to a lake and let it roll into the lake...

Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
We have owned our own home since our mid 30's. The "tax break" isn't a tax break if you don't itemize when you have a small mortgage and you are better off going with the standard deduction.... we are now putting more money into 401K's and other retirement savings.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:38 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
We could, but we don't b/c it's not really a good investment strategy. We pay 6% interest on the borrowed money, and it's all deductible at tax time. Instead of taking cash and paying it off, we invest that money and bring in much more than 6% a year. So we still get the deductible tax benefit, and use the borrowed money to make more.

Most financial advisors will tell you it's not a great financial move to EVER pay off your mortgage for this reason, although some people feel more comfortable with it paid off, and if it eases your mind, then it's worth it.

Yes, I'm in the same boat. The benefits of a mortgage outweigh paying it off (our interest rate is 5.125)- not that I could right now anyway - with housing prices here it's terribly difficult to pay a mortgage off or purchase a house outright without having hit it big in the late 90's (AND...getting out at the right time), or having a trust fund or rich relative.

With the tax break we get it isn't worth it. I can totally respect someone who wants to purchase a house outright for peace of mind though. I feel that way about cars - I won't get a car loan. If I can't purchase it outright, I won't buy it.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM

143 posts, read 577,421 times
47 and have owned two homes getting ready to move to 3rd always made money and just live the aspect of knowing is mine

Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Lisa, a woman in England did you one better; when she decided that her engagment would end, she loaded ALL her fiancé's worldly possesions into his car, drove it to a lake and let it roll into the lake...
That is kind of funny...good for her.

I'm just going to throw it out on the front lawn...I might take the time to put it in garbage bags...

I have never lost a place to live but I have been married to someone who tried to take me for a ride...I have a daughter to think about and I can't imagine what it must be like for women who have children and then suddenly because of a relationship going bad, they have no home...A family inheritance made it so I have my house and car unencumbered and I plan to keep it that way.

The divorce rate is over 50%...its even higher if you have been married before...I don't like the odds.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
We could, but we don't b/c it's not really a good investment strategy. We pay 6% interest on the borrowed money, and it's all deductible at tax time. Instead of taking cash and paying it off, we invest that money and bring in much more than 6% a year. So we still get the deductible tax benefit, and use the borrowed money to make more.

Most financial advisors will tell you it's not a great financial move to EVER pay off your mortgage for this reason, although some people feel more comfortable with it paid off, and if it eases your mind, then it's worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I'm 29 and I Own it. I also own several rental properties and still owe on a few. I am fortunate to have a good job and have family in rental properties that pointed me in the right direction just after high school. If you want to OWN your home, its not about the amount of money you make, its about what you do with the money you have.
I believe strongly in the first quote of this thread and live by these rules. I also have about 5 rental properties all with at least $20K equity lines. So I have about $100K that I can tap into at any time. I think I will just buy a few more rentals

I am 30 and plan on cashing out in about 5-7 years and calling it quits!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We are just into our 40's and own one home outright, have a 50% mortgage on an investment house and also have a 60% mortgage on the home we live in.

It took us about 9 years to pay off the first home
dorothy

Old 05-22-2007, 07:58 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default I own my shack

Bought it cash money down with a personal check. Only way to fly. Have it as a "Free House" because I made enough trading down my old house for the lower costs in Ohio. Make that I now have over two free houses because of the way I was able to restructure how money got spent. With the lower taxes, etc. Maybe buy up something like Atlanta if this continues.

In a pinch, I just plan to move in with Ms. Lisa. Hey, I don't even care if she puts my stuff on the lawn every so often, I usually only use a light traveling bag anyway. One thing about Good Men, they will adapt.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:46 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
"In a pinch, I just plan to move in with Ms. Lisa. Hey, I don't even care if she puts my stuff on the lawn every so often, I usually only use a light traveling bag anyway. One thing about Good Men, they will adapt'
Cosmic

I geuss you gotta have a dream...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House