Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 AM

68 posts, read 171,507 times

Advertisements

I rent a small, one bedroom, top 3rd floor apartment here in Savannah. There is a draft coming from my ceiling which is causing my home to be cold and drafty at all times. I put the plastic over the windows and it did nothing. Like I said, it's coming from the roof (I stood on a chair to find out). I got last months power bill and it was $150 for heating it to 70... wow... that's ridiculous! The meter reading is correct, I already called GA Power about it. Management says they are going to send over maintenance to look at my furnace but I know for a fact that's not the problem. I heated the place from 58 (I turned my heat off yesterday after I got the bill) to 64 about an hour ago and since then, the temp has gone down 4 degrees already. I have this massive draft that is freezing me, so I know it's that. Now, this is a new complex, built very recently (Century Fenwick Village near 17/204).

What can I do? I know management isn't going to re-insulate the place just for me. Or do they have to? Cuz this is unreal. I've never paid $150 for a heating bill in Ottawa, On, Canada (where it's REALLY cold in the winter) in a 3 bedroom, 3 story home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 02:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
What's above your ceiling? Is there attic space? Is the cold radiating from the ceiling or is there a vent or opening that the cold is coming through? Is there a vent in the attic to the outside to vent the attic space? Is there access to the attic from your apartment?
Depending on the answers.....you may be able to buy a few (cheap) rolls of R13 insulation at Lowe's/ Home Depot and put in some insulation yourself.
If there is a vent from the attic...what is it? Can it be blocked for cold?
If there is a draft on the ceiling...follow it and see just what is the source. Is the ceiling radiating cold all over or is a draft going across the ceiling from a point of origin? Find the point of origin and go from there.
I guess I asked more questions than answers, but it's a start for ya.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:21 PM

68 posts, read 171,507 times
From what i can see from the outside there is a vent but I am not able to do anything. There is an attic above me. I rent a 3rd floor apartment and it is maintenance that does all that stuff.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
If you are paying that much for heat now, your apartment will be an absolute OVEN in the Georgia summer. I suggest you amicably negotiate with the landlord to move into the next available apartment on a lower floor. You might pay a little more in rent, but you'll make that up and more in reduced utility bills. Before the advent of loud sound systems, the center apartment in a complex was a cherished position. Usually it didn't require much of anything in the way of heating or cooling because the other tenants made the walls floor and ceiling comfortable.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically;your choice is to rent another and enquire as t the insulatio next time. You might find that as with many thingas rent cost goes with epxpenses to the landlord and if you rent cheap your not getting the best in rantal economy as far as utliies and other things. the same goes for buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House