U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2007, 11:11 PM

1,007 posts, read 235,019 times

Advertisements

Hello All –

While in the process of renovations, I have a problem I’ve yet to be able to solve. I have a 5’ x 5’ bathroom in an apt in Boston. For all of you who haven’t been to the area, yep, this is normal size in many of these old neighborhoods with 120+ year old Victorians. I’m not fibbing, just ask Cosmic! Three plumbers have said I don’t have the appropriate space to install a sink in the maximum 14” W (wall to toilet allowance) x 20" L (other wall to open door allowance) which is available. I’ve found small corner or square-ish sinks around the 11.5” W measurement, but the space would have to include wall brackets & pipes & the 3 jolly plumbers (they’re always jolly after I hand them a fistful of cash) gave a resounding ‘No, little lady, that aien’t gonna’ happen!’ There definitely isn’t room for a pedestal sink or any kind of vanity, so it appears that my only choice is a wall-hung sink.

I have looked online & in upscale magazines (including UK mags) for many months, searching through thousands of pics, almost certain I could find a rectangular “trough-like” sink. I just want it large enough for handwashing or brushing teeth. The bathroom is so small, after you subtract space for the stall shower & toilet (you didn't think we could actually have even a 1/2-tub, did you?) you have to enter the bathroom & turn around in order to close the door as you only have 6 s.f. with which to maneuver. I’m very small & anyone larger than me has to step 1 foot into the shower in order to the close the door. No, not kidding! I know I may pay hundreds for a sink or have to import it, but it’s better than not having one, as I can charge a bit more rent in this extraordinarily gentrified area. Whenever I’ve needed to rent, the only feature people haven’t liked about the apt is the lack of sink in the bathroom. They can live without the tub but can't get used to brushing their teeth in the same sink where they wash their dishes, although many of us city dwellers don't give it a second thought.

I would bet money that somewhere, sometime I saw a trough-like sink that would fit. I don’t remember if it were in a magazine, in person, in a movie or in my dreams, but I’m sure I'd seen one. In this day & age when you can buy a Kohler tankless toilet, shaped like a hatbox (for $4,500 mind you), I can’t believe they don’t exist. These 3 plumbers regularly do upscale condo conversions, say they’ve seen all sorts of fixtures & tell me it doesn’t exist. I’m guessing they’ve just never come across one, or have different dreams…

As one who doesn’t give up easily, I’ve got to ask, does anyone have any idea if a specialty store/supplier exists that may have something this small? The Home Depot/Lowe’s type stores don’t have them, so I guess I’d need fixture (if that’s the right word) suppliers. What would those suppliers even be called so I can search for them in the local yellow pages? Don’t basement bathrooms normally have very small fixtures – a sink almost the size of the old drinking fountains in school? Okay, I was in school in the 1800’s, but... Can some company make a mold & pour a custom-made sink or are we getting into the $4,500 hatbox toilet territory? I prefer to pay just a few hundred $’s, but would be willing to pay $1K-ish, if necessary. $4,500 for it would only mean the new tenant will have to move their Ronco salad crisper to brush their teeth.

Thank you very much.
Sinkless in Boston… VV
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 11:51 PM

1,021 posts, read 3,021,135 times
KP, would any of these work? Signature Hardware Wall-hung Sinks

There are even some for corner installation (click on the picture of corner wall-hung sinks).

Here's one that looks like a trough-type: Click!

Old 05-21-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
KP, would any of these work? Signature Hardware Wall-hung Sinks

There are even some for corner installation (click on the picture of corner wall-hung sinks).

Here's one that looks like a trough-type: Click!
Greetings Figment -

Thank you for doing some research on my behalf. I really appreciate it. I have seen the Signature site, had shown plumbers some of those pics & they're all to big in Re: to depth. I was saying width of 14", but I meant depth. Sorry for the confusion. Few, but some are 11" D which I thought would be easy to fit into a 14" D maximum space. The extra space is needed as the wall the sink needs to be mounted to is an outside hallway wall. There are no pipes (or even electrical wires) in that wall, so he said he has to bring the pipes around from the main pipe & toilet. He said he'd have trouble even fitting pipes in. I was thinking he just needed to bring them over from the toilet. I don't know how far the wall brackets extend the sink from the wall, nor the pipes for that matter, but all of them were adamant that it couldn't be done. I can do many renovations, but plumbing/electricity are complete mysteries to me. My thought is that if I can find a small enough sink, it can be mounted. Maybe I'm wrong.

Since the trough type is almost 12" D, that won't work either. I will keep looking though as I swear, years ago when I wasn't looking for one, I saw a tiny sink barely big enough to fit both hands into to wash. Since I don't know much about plumbing, it's hard for me to gauge if someone gives me wrong info. With other home improvement things, I've been given wrong info, but know enough to be able to look it up on my own. One plumber told me if he moved the shower pipes over & I ripped up the floor to put in a corner toilet, at a cost $15K+, he could fit a sink in. That doesn't sound like a good idea or reasonable price to me & since I'd be selling the house within 5-10 years maximum, I won't put anymore $ into it, unless it's an absolute necessity. Strangely, the 1st floor toilet is moved over 6-8" & providing just enough space that a sink is there.

In any event, thank you very much. Perhaps we'll come across something. I'm months from finishing & renting, so I still have some time to research. The nice thing is you only need to do these things once.

Fun, fun, fun... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
I am betting that Lowe's or similar could order something for you. My FIL put in two wall mounted sinks in their house and they live in a tiny town in MN. I am surprised your plumber doesn't have a supply catalog for you to look through.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Another option would be to look for a utility sink. We had a narrow vanity in a bath in our old house and a standard sink wasn't going to work. We used a bar sink (for using in a wet bar) and that was perfect. The one we got was stainless steel. I think with some modifications that would work in your situation.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am betting that Lowe's or similar could order something for you. My FIL put in two wall mounted sinks in their house and they live in a tiny town in MN. I am surprised your plumber doesn't have a supply catalog for you to look through.
Hi GG -

No, Lowe's doesn't have anything that small. Remember, I only have an 11" depth before the sink would hit the toilet. So, I don't know how much I'd have to subtract for wall brackets? I tried to get an answer from plumbers, but they were flabbergasted. Perhaps different stores have different merchandise? I only asked at the the 1 I visited.

Service workers are definitely different here. It's always been difficult to get electricians/plumbers/handymen to show up for appts. Always. Oftentimes, we 1-house owners are needing someone to just replace faucets or fix a toilet. They're small jobs. It's always taken weeks of rescheduling for someone to finally show. They put us last after large jobs or holding out for school contracts or contractor hirings for large projects. We're afterthoughts. My next door neighbor's plumber told her to stop calling him as he has so many condo jobs, he'll never return to small jobs again. My neighborhood would be a nice niche for a just-starting-out plumber/electrician with a valid license for 1-home/condo owners.

Now with the area's condo conversion craze, it took calls to 8 different electricians to even get a call back. That took months. Then the next 3 called back but never showed up. My current electrician is the 12th I called! It took 6-mos before I found him. My plumber is the 8th! He's outrageously expensive (twice what anyone else charges) but shows up when he says he will, does good work & sticks by his estimate, exactly. NEVER had that happen before. I've also checked both licenses & you'd be surprised the volume of workers who are unlicensed or trying to work on their own on an apprentice's license, suspended license or revoked license. It was exhausting doing all this work. No catalogue, but he shows up! He gives me an emphatic "NO" about the sink. I'm still gonna' keep trying to find something.

So different than a small town. My sister lives in NEPA & her plumber calls to schedule an appt at her convenience. I thought she was teasing me. I've never heard of such a thing. Honestly, I just wish I had a male friend who could do this kind of work. I'd rather give $500-1K to a friend I trust & not have to worry about, than do all this leg work.

Utility sink? I haven't searched for those exact words, but I'll give it a go. If it's metal, that's fine. I just wanted something, anything. After all this work, I hope I find one in the south of FR. Then, I'll just go to pick it up myself. Wouldn't want to chip it in shipping...

Thank you very much... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 09:55 AM

I'm not having luck looking for utility or bar sinks. They're bigger than you'd think & I only have 10-11" (front to back) of space. I'll keep checking though. I was just wondering if anyone knew if very small sinks were common in any particular country? I thought maybe searching through magazines or foreign websites might prove fruitful?

Just a thought... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 AM

3,093 posts, read 6,439,857 times
Here are a few links to try. Haven't looked for your exact sink tho.
http://www.fixtureuniverse.com
http://www.sinkworks.com/ (They do custom sinks)
http://www.antiquehardware.com/subcategory/85/ (broken link)
http://www.historichouseparts.com/vi...room_sinks.htm

I have more but that's a start. Liz

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 7,734,754 times
I converted a closet into a half bath and found a really small sink. I have been looking for the name of the place for a couple weeks (for other reasons) and I can't find my records They are out there!

It might have been here . If not, there are some tiny sinks there anyway. I'm pretty sure this is the one we ended up with. We have since sold the house, so I can't confirm it.

Oh, this one seems to meet your needs. Its only 9.5 inches deep. And the picture gives you a cool idea to get more space. What we did is boxed in the pipes blow the sink and left a ledge above the sink. I tried to attach a picture of what we did.
Attached Thumbnails
Teeny, tiny wall sinks. Urban myth?-picture-011.jpg  

Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,371,229 times
Default Kittenspurr

As I understand it, you have 11 inches of space.

It might be worthwhile checking out RV and marine suppliers for a sink.

As an example, The following link will take you to a MA Rv dealer whose catalogue advertises a round, stainless steel sink that is self-rimming and 10-3/8 inches wide. The cutout size for mounting the sink is 9 inches. I can see where it would be feasible to mount the unit in a piece of counter top supported by an underneath bracket or ledge.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalo...69&pageNum=377
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House