Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:17 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times

Advertisements

They use local contractors to do the work so sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not so good. The one time I had work done by HD it was excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
They use sub contractors that are not necessarily the best workmen. We had a laminate floor installed by Lowes and this van arrived with workmen unable to commuicate with me. Not only did they install the floor incorrectly, but they made a mess sawing inside. After numerous phone calls and the manager coming to my house, they refunded half the cost to me and had "their best" installer repair the floor. I would NEVER use either again.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Young Lisa I know how to get all those 10% off coupons from Lowes. For $8 I can rent a PO box for 6 months. The post office gives out a form where you can check of what coupon you want sent to you. Lowes does indeed send out 10% off coupons. So for $8 for the PO box you can purchase an over priced $10,000 kitchen and get $1000 off the price with your coupon. Only problem is Loews charges full list price while everyone else charges 50% off list. So most of us sell those $10,000 kitchens for $5000.

I do so much buying at HD and Lowe's they will give me discounts if I ask and I ask all the time. No you don't have to waste $8.00 on a P.O. Box to get that. I certainly wouldn't rent a box just for that.

So far no one has been able to beat the prices I can get at HD or Lowe's and I have tried. I'm counting on you DS and next month I expect 50% off of new cabinets from a smaller place. If I can't get it like you told me I can then you know where I am going to have to shop.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I do so much buying at HD and Lowe's they will give me discounts if I ask and I ask all the time. No you don't have to waste $8.00 on a P.O. Box to get that. I certainly wouldn't rent a box just for that.

So far no one has been able to beat the prices I can get at HD or Lowe's and I have tried. I'm counting on you DS and next month I expect 50% off of new cabinets from a smaller place. If I can't get it like you told me I can then you know where I am going to have to shop.
You know I can do ya that and better for you but you bought them already. I dont doubt HD gives you additional discounts. Against my better judgement, those above me in the construction depts in my company do exactly what you do and get those same discounts. But we spend very high 6 figures at that store to get that discount. The average Joe can never get a discount from either of the big box stores. Neither store even offers employee discounts to their own employees!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
You know I can do ya that and better for you but you bought them already. I dont doubt HD gives you additional discounts. Against my better judgement, those above me in the construction depts in my company do exactly what you do and get those same discounts. But we spend very high 6 figures at that store to get that discount. The average Joe can never get a discount from either of the big box stores. Neither store even offers employee discounts to their own employees!!!
Put your money where your mouth is. We haven't bought the cabinets for the second house yet. So lead the way and I will follow.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:14 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know water pumps and tanks are not as good from there. The same brand name makes "cheaper" products for them. Once I went with a salesman to a big box store. He let me pick a pump off the rack. We went out to the parking lot and took it apart. It was very different inside.
True that. This exact practice is commonplace, trail blazed by WalMart of course, they have numerous products that appear to be the exact same as other stores, but are versions made to look the same but are of a much lower quality, companies like Dirt Devil, Hoover, Proctor Silex, etc.. etc..These larger big box stores work the deals with the brand companies for cheaper imitations by sometimes the same manufacturers exclusively for their stores.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
We got two quotes on new Kraftmaid cabinets, one from a reputable local supplier and one from BLowes. Same design, same layout, same cabinets. BLowes cost waaay more when all was said and done. Like 40% more.

With the other folks, a guy that has worked there for 20 years came out to the house three times to check and double check measurements and offered his professional advice (which was extremely helpful). We are pleased as punch.

The new cabinets get delivered next week. I am half way done demolishing the old stuff. Will need to add new 3/4 plywood, then the hardwood floor goes down, then the new cabinets.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We got two quotes on new Kraftmaid cabinets, one from a reputable local supplier and one from BLowes. Same design, same layout, same cabinets. BLowes cost waaay more when all was said and done. Like 40% more.

With the other folks, a guy that has worked there for 20 years came out to the house three times to check and double check measurements and offered his professional advice (which was extremely helpful). We are pleased as punch.

The new cabinets get delivered next week. I am half way done demolishing the old stuff. Will need to add new 3/4 plywood, then the hardwood floor goes down, then the new cabinets.
I been saying this for a long time on here. It's great when some one else comes on and repeats my words.

Right on Threerun !!!!!!!!!!!!!

40% is a whole lot of savings. You could take your family on a cruise with that kind of savings.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:41 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,176 times
We sold our house last year and needed to do a lot of quick fixes to get it on the market ASAP. We bought carpet and garage doors from a Lowe's in Raleigh. We had their contractors install both and it was a very easy process. I just did not have the time to shop around or check our contractors. For our situation, it was a real time saver.

However, if time was not an issue, then I would have shopped options and reviews.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:57 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Ya know.......I have heard rumors concerning this same issue with cabinets. People in my trades have said that Kraftmaid makes a different cabinet just for the big orange. You may be right about the pumps Driller but I ain't so sure on cabinets. Since I am so intimatly familiar with Kraftmaid I never seen any difference. I do know different product lines are sold at HD then regular kitchen outlets but that dont mean they are made differently.

The fact of the matter is, back in the very early 80s when Home Depots were just starting to pop up, their motto was that they only hired ex contractors for their floor people. Ex Carpenters worked that floor and Ex Plumbers worked the plumbing dept. That business model is long long gone. Today HD is just another corporate conglomerate out to get money from your pocket to theirs. And they are damn good at it.

Today everyone on the store floor are just minimum or just over minimum wage clerks who's only home improvement experience is hanging a curtiain rod for Mommy. Yet the general public walks in there asking technical questions and forgetting their camera to take a picture of the clerks face with that stumped funny look.

In the old days HD and Lowes advertised that they both had professional price shoppers who checked eachothers prices and would always beat the other. Well they both sued eachother over that and no longer do it. Both big box stores advertise that if the other store has a lower price on the same exact item then they will beat it by 10%. Well that is a a bunch of hogwash because they both carry different brands so it is impossible to compare same like products.

Young Lisa I know how to get all those 10% off coupons from Lowes. For $8 I can rent a PO box for 6 months. The post office gives out a form where you can check of what coupon you want sent to you. Lowes does indeed send out 10% off coupons. So for $8 for the PO box you can purchase an over priced $10,000 kitchen and get $1000 off the price with your coupon. Only problem is Loews charges full list price while everyone else charges 50% off list. So most of us sell those $10,000 kitchens for $5000.

Ain't that the truth. Going to HD, or L, I needed XXX, my friend tells me to ask the salesperson, I have to laugh, because I know that first of all, I am old enough to be their father, second, they will not have a clue as to what I need or am trying to do, don't have any experience in Home anything and will not have any idea of where I can get what I need.....you get my drift????

So It's me alone up and down the isles of orange.. lololololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House