U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM
 
553 posts, read 674,980 times
Reputation: 818
Default Dishwasher repair prices

My Frigidaire dishwasher, which has been out of warranty for about 4 months, is not working properly. It's giving an error message, turning itself on, etc. We just turned off the breaker, as we don't want a fire. I called and scheduled an appointment with an authorized repair person, but they charge $60 just to come out to diagnose, then they will charge for the part(s) and labor to install, and they can't give an estimate without first doing a service call. Oh, the labor is guaranteed for 30 days and the parts for 90 days. Whoopee.

I have never had an appliance repaired before. Can anyone tell me what repairpersons have charged to replace a control panel (I am assuming that's what will need to be replaced)? I am just so ticked that we spent $800 on the stupid dishwasher, and it didn't even work for two years. We bought the dishwasher to match the existing appliances, so I don't really want to get a new one, but I wonder if it would make more sense to replace it or fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
I can't imagine in a million years it would be a better idea to replace it.

Have it repaired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM
 
Location: WA
3,940 posts, read 12,275,384 times
Reputation: 2735
Appliance repair is one of the biggest rip-offs I have encountered. I got stuck paying $100 for a 15 minute service call that replaced a part that was available on the internet for $4.16. I have since done all my own work on appliances with no problem since diagrams and parts are available online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Appliance repair is one of the biggest rip-offs I have encountered. I got stuck paying $100 for a 15 minute service call that replaced a part that was available on the internet for $4.16. I have since done all my own work on appliances with no problem since diagrams and parts are available online.

Yes, I should have mentioned this too. Try to do it yourself. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Maybe you don't have time. There are tons of forums out there (like City-Data forum) on which people are asking the same thing you would be interested in knowing.

I wouldn't call appliance repair a rip off though.

It's not like repair guys are BS artists, like a preacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2009, 04:29 PM
 
553 posts, read 674,980 times
Reputation: 818
Wow, cdelena, that does sound like a huge markup. Can I ask where you bought the parts?

Charles - my husband is very handy, so I will try to convince him to find the time. His concern is the possibility of an eletrical fire (as we found pictures on the internet when researching Frigidaire problems), but I am sure he can follow a manual!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 4,853,991 times
Reputation: 1401
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
Wow, cdelena, that does sound like a huge markup. Can I ask where you bought the parts?
I believe that figure included the service call, which is usually $60-80 right off the bat. Labor costs money, as does operating expenses of offices, service trucks, licensing and insurance, etc. So no, that markup is NOT huge.

Back to the original poit ... search for what the error code means, and take it from there. As for parts ... I've stuff from repairclinic.com before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 AM
 
40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
Reputation: 12247
If it has a electroic control then its wise to search the error code but be advised thast those controls are costly just for the part.One reason so many say to try to buy a dishwasher with mechanical control when possible.Persoanlly i have been lucky as I have a repair man that retired after 40 years and does my repairs very reasonably. The newer appliances are just as cheap as 15-20 years ago for a reason.P_S- he say that dishwasher repairs are often not worth it because new ones are so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5,151 posts, read 8,396,162 times
Reputation: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If it has a electroic control then its wise to search the error code but be advised thast those controls are costly just for the part.One reason so many say to try to buy a dishwasher with mechanical control when possible.Persoanlly i have been lucky as I have a repair man that retired after 40 years and does my repairs very reasonably. The newer appliances are just as cheap as 15-20 years ago for a reason.P_S- he say that dishwasher repairs are often not worth it because new ones are so cheap.
That's true. I just spent $200 on replacing the motor and pump housing because it started making loud grinding noises. Probably would have cost another $100-200 if I didn't do it myself, which would get the cost up to the price of a new unit. Before replacing it, I did clean the pump housing out, hoping something was stuck in it, making the problem in the motor. I went ahead and replaced both because the pump housing only added $20 to the part cost as a unit.

For the OP, sears.com is another option for parts. Their part price was more, but shipping made it about $10 less than the cheaper priced part at another site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,892 posts, read 7,035,201 times
Reputation: 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmomof2 View Post
My Frigidaire dishwasher, which has been out of warranty for about 4 months, is not working properly. It's giving an error message, turning itself on, etc. We just turned off the breaker, as we don't want a fire. I called and scheduled an appointment with an authorized repair person, but they charge $60 just to come out to diagnose, then they will charge for the part(s) and labor to install, and they can't give an estimate without first doing a service call. Oh, the labor is guaranteed for 30 days and the parts for 90 days. Whoopee.

I have never had an appliance repaired before. Can anyone tell me what repairpersons have charged to replace a control panel (I am assuming that's what will need to be replaced)? I am just so ticked that we spent $800 on the stupid dishwasher, and it didn't even work for two years. We bought the dishwasher to match the existing appliances, so I don't really want to get a new one, but I wonder if it would make more sense to replace it or fix it?
I feel for you! Our Maytag dishwasher was 2 months past its warranty, and we started having problems that sound a lot like yours. Since it was just over a year old, we had a repairman come in and were quoted $350 to replace the control panel. Since we only paid $450 for the dishwasher, we decided to replace it instead of paying for the repair. The service call was $60. I suggest getting recommendations for repairmen from friends or family. Or check angieslist. (They sure don't make appliances like they used to!) Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 AM
 
553 posts, read 674,980 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I feel for you! Our Maytag dishwasher was 2 months past its warranty, and we started having problems that sound a lot like yours. Since it was just over a year old, we had a repairman come in and were quoted $350 to replace the control panel. Since we only paid $450 for the dishwasher, we decided to replace it instead of paying for the repair. The service call was $60. I suggest getting recommendations for repairmen from friends or family. Or check angieslist. (They sure don't make appliances like they used to!) Good luck!
Wow, I thought Maytag was a good brand! You just can't trust these junky appliances anymore. You are right they don't make appliances like they used to! People make fun of the gold and avacado appliances of the 70s, but the fact that they are still around means they were made well! It's pretty sad when modern appliances don't last a few years.

The error code means it could be one of three things, so we are going to keep the repair call. Then we'll see (depending on the cost) if we are going to repair it (and risk it breaking again) or buy a new one (not an $800 one, more like $400 or so, and get the store warranty for $60). Obviously more expensive doesn't mean it's more reliable. I just think it's a rip off all around. I could have paid a neighbor kid more than minimum wage to do my dishes for the last year and a half and would have spent less than we did on the dishwasher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top