U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 01:08 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,002,592 times

Advertisements

I see little reason to shut off the water & drain the lines for one week UNLESS you know that your heating source is unreliable. If you live in an area where the water is hard, every time you shut the water off and turn it back on, you are likely introducing mineral sediment into your major appliances (water heater, dishwasher, etc...). Also consider if you have "old pipes" and the stress placed upon them if they are showing any degradation. You have to ask yourself if you are doing more harm than good if leaving for just a week.

And, I do understand shutting the water off and draining the pipes, regardless of the time of year, if you will be gone for extended periods of time. Just a precaution as a water leak unnoticed can do thousands of dollars of damage.

Some folks think more proactively and some reactively in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM

6,845 posts, read 22,026,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Water at 32 degress will freeze.
You of all people should know that that is not a 100% true statement.
What about moving water?
Salt water?

Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,553,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What about moving water?
Salt water?
I hope nobody has moving water in their house pipes while they're away for a week.

And I doubt anyone has salt water for tap water.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:57 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,499,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
We always turn our water off when we go out of town. However, my question is, in the winter, when it's in the 20's and 30's, is it safe to turn the water off? I'm wondering if there's more of a chance that a pipe could burst that way if there is no water in the pipes. Of course, we'd leave our heat cycling on and off as usual.
If you turn the water off and drain the water out of the pipes (use a basement tap) you'll be fine. Pipes can't burst if there's no water in them.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 PM

8,293 posts, read 14,499,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
Yes, I meant to say we always shut off the water and drain the pipes when we go out of town. However, I'm wondering if it's okay to do this while going out of town in the winter with freezing temps. We're talking being gone one week, with heat on as normal. Is this safe to do re: pipes bursting because of cold temps?
If your "heat is on as normal" you will not have any problems. It's no different than if you were actually there.

Really though, why bother turning off the water if you're only going to be gone a week? Are you afraid something will break while you're gone?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM

22,309 posts, read 17,496,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What about moving water?
Salt water?
I stand corrected. If you leave the water run, or drink salt water, it will be fine. And I mean VERY salty water.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM

6,845 posts, read 22,026,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I stand corrected. If you leave the water run, or drink salt water, it will be fine. And I mean VERY salty water.
I knew you would understand my wicked sense of humor... !

Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM

2,480 posts, read 3,027,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not familiar with frost free valves first hand, but I quickly looked it up on the internet.

Apparently, the water is kept below ground level (where water can't freeze) and no water is left in the pipes when a faucet isn't being used.
Thanks for the research. I know when we moved in just before Christmas last year our builder would have winterized if it was necessary as here in SW IL we can get very cold.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:00 PM

22,309 posts, read 17,496,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k'ledgebldr View Post
i knew you would understand my wicked sense of humor... !
lol lol lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House