Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,600 times

Advertisements

We always turn our water off when we go out of town. However, my question is, in the winter, when it's in the 20's and 30's, is it safe to turn the water off? I'm wondering if there's more of a chance that a pipe could burst that way if there is no water in the pipes. Of course, we'd leave our heat cycling on and off as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
We always turn our water off when we go out of town. However, my question is, in the winter, when it's in the 20's and 30's, is it safe to turn the water off? I'm wondering if there's more of a chance that a pipe could burst that way if there is no water in the pipes. Of course, we'd leave our heat cycling on and off as usual.
If water get below 32 degrees, it will freeze. I would blow the pipes out with an air compressor.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
You can't just shut off the water. You have to drain the pipes because water is left in the pipes after shutting off the water.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 PM

45,377 posts, read 60,561,367 times
When you say "go out of town" how long a period do you mean? I would think a few days, with your heat on would be more than ok. I would shut off the washer line, though. Most people I know who do this have seasonal houses that are totally empty over the winter and even the heat is shut off.

My mother's house was empty for a couple of winters, I would go check on it every 2 or 3 weeks (300 mile drive) and I left the water on and the heat at 55 or 60. She had even left a basement window open and didn't tell me. There were no problems at all. This was NW PA where minus 10 or so is common.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
I agree with NBP. If just for a few days and the heat is left on, why bother. If you mean all winter and you don't mind waiting for a bit when you get back in the Spring, shut it off and drain it.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,600 times
Yes, I meant to say we always shut off the water and drain the pipes when we go out of town. However, I'm wondering if it's okay to do this while going out of town in the winter with freezing temps. We're talking being gone one week, with heat on as normal. Is this safe to do re: pipes bursting because of cold temps?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
We are in new construction. With the new technology in plumbing with frost free valves-(correct me if I'm wrong) all we have to do is remove our hoses. I know this from when we moved in last December-no valves were shut off by our builder.We did not have any problems.
Before in NY we used to remove hoses,turn off the water to the bib, then slightly open the valve to the hose bib.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, I meant to say we always shut off the water and drain the pipes when we go out of town. However, I'm wondering if it's okay to do this while going out of town in the winter with freezing temps.
I can't figure out why you shut off the water and drain the pipes when you leave in the summer!

Quote:
We're talking being gone one week, with heat on as normal. Is this safe to do re: pipes bursting because of cold temps?
Do your pipes normally freeze when you have cold temps? If no, you can simply leave your house with the furnace set at 60 degrees.

If you turn off your furnace, your pipes will most definitely freeze if there's water inside them.

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's more of a chance that a pipe could burst that way if there is no water in the pipes.
You have the whole concept of pipes bursting backwards. Pipes burst when water in the pipes freezes and expands. If there is no water in the pipes, they will not freeze.

However, there's no reason to turn off your water for a week even in the winter if you are leaving your furnace on.

I still can't figure out why you turn off your water when you leave for a mere week or two.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:53 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
We are in new construction. With the new technology in plumbing with frost free valves-(correct me if I'm wrong) all we have to do is remove our hoses. I know this from when we moved in last December-no valves were shut off by our builder.We did not have any problems.
Before in NY we used to remove hoses,turn off the water to the bib, then slightly open the valve to the hose bib.
Water at 32 degress will freeze.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Water at 32 degress will freeze.
I'm not familiar with frost free valves first hand, but I quickly looked it up on the internet.

Apparently, the water is kept below ground level (where water can't freeze) and no water is left in the pipes when a faucet isn't being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House