Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM

34,636 posts, read 56,378,147 times

Advertisements

I agree it looks great. Good luck, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,815,346 times
It looks wonderful. I would have had to have Xanax and oxygen to even start what you did. It was well worth the time and effort. Enjoy it and be proud.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,986,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
It looks wonderful. I would have had to have Xanax and oxygen to even start what you did. It was well worth the time and effort. Enjoy it and be proud.
LOL

It does look beachy and cottagey - you did a lovely job. Personally, I would have had a hard time painting the pine - I would have kept it and decorated in a Ralph Laruen style - more English cottage.

But I can certainly see that keeping the pine would not appeal to everyone and it is your house and now it looks fresh, clean and wonderful - congrats on a job well done.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,114,131 times
Love the new look. Great job! It looks like something out of Coastal Living magazine.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,734,004 times
Wow it looks great!! We just bought a home and the entire first floor is knotty pine, I hate it. You inspired me to paint it! I really like how it turned out!!!

Did you have to clean the walls first? If so what did you use?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
I think it looks fantastic. Great cottage atmopshere---light and breezy. Enjoy!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:50 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,221,976 times
The before pictures were awful, I wasn't here for the debate you had a few months back like you said. However, the original paneling screamed 70s, or the inside of a old mobile home, now I think it looks great. Sorry for the bluntness, I HATE paneling.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:47 PM

341 posts, read 1,530,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Wow it looks great!! We just bought a home and the entire first floor is knotty pine, I hate it. You inspired me to paint it! I really like how it turned out!!!

Did you have to clean the walls first? If so what did you use?
again, thanks for all the support. Yes, I took a deep breath (with the mask on!) before I started hitting it with the primer. then there was no turning back.

Icibiu, I cleaned the walls with a solution of water and Dirtex. I've heard it recommended to use TSP, but you need to rinse that very well or the BIN primer might lift. The guy in the paint store assured me the dirtex could be used and no big worries after it's dry. It worked very well. These walls had very little varnish on them and were stained. I did let the walls dry a full 48 hours after washing them (it was late august and humid) before I hit them with the primer.

The primer you need to use to seal the knots is super strong and I got a good facemask and opened all the windows, plus had fans creating a jet stream through the house. I did it the week before we moved in so no furniture, people or Boston Terriers to worry about with the fumes.

Right now, we've got the furniture from our apartment in Manhattan in it, and it doesn't quite fit. We'll get to furniture next year.

Thanks to everybody for the compliments on the house. The house was built in 1940 and has great bones. We did replace most of the windows which were original. There were already plenty of good updates done by the last owner, new 200 amp service, plumbing and cesspool, insulation...

I'm sure they would freak if they saw that I painted the pine... but I know it was tougher for them to sell as it was, which worked out well for us.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:03 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,734,004 times
Thanks for the info! I really love what you did, the colors you chose and everything.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 PM

204 posts, read 614,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
Thanks.

Yes, you can still see the shape of the knots and the character and the imperfections of the wood... this doesn't bother me and is pretty much the aesthetic we expected. Yes, you can see some bare spots as the panels shift with heat, etc. I've done a few touch ups that look very good. No cracking so far.

We used Benjamin Moore Matte finish for the walls and semi-gloss for the trim. The tape pulled off in nice sharp lines and as i've mentioned, cracking hasn't been a problem.

Key to this that when we did it, we were realistic about what the result would be. We did not expect smooth, perfect sheetrock walls. We knew it would look clean, bright, but rustic. Luckily, the character works with a beach cottage.
The end result is so appealing. I don't have a problem with underlying textures showing, either. It adds character and depth and interest, imo. We recently repainted our kitchen cabinets. A section of cheap, dark panelling that backed a cabinet was painted in the same color....bright white. The end result is a huge improvement, giving an updated cottage look that now looks unified.

You were brave to tackle your project and the results paid off .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House