U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM

17,355 posts, read 29,254,598 times

Advertisements

Love it, I like the fact that the grain still comes thru a little. It looks really nice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,572,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
Your after shots look so very nice. All the wood walls reminded me of the Officer's housing we lived in at Key West. Every wall was the knotty pine paneling except the kitchen and bathrooms. Those houses were something very special that only a few people ever saw.
You lived in the housing there? Was it Truman Annex? Everytime I went down there I"d walk through there. I adore those old cottages! I'm jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
Wow it looks great!! We just bought a home and the entire first floor is knotty pine, I hate it. You inspired me to paint it! I really like how it turned out!!!

Did you have to clean the walls first? If so what did you use?
My home is about half that knotty pine. After seeing the photos I'm really thinking of painting mine too. Now look what he's started! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Love it, I like the fact that the grain still comes thru a little. It looks really nice.

I like that too. I think it keeps the older feel with a brighter, happier look.

Great job! I'm going to see what hubby says!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,255 times
It looks excellent. Beadboard was not always natural finish, historically. Paint is a fine choice, and will make the rooms feel bigger, brighter, and nicer. I think you did the right thing, and should not feel guilty about any of it. It's your house, after all. I install painted beadboard in new homes I design, and also in historic homes I restore. I do, however, worry about bleed through. It may take a few seasons, but you may see some. I have found that several (three) coats of shellac, 2 lb cut, over the knots works. Scuff sand and prime with Binz or Kilz. Then paint. Kilz Premium with two coats of paint has bled through in my experience. Maybe your climate is different. Congratulations though, on a beautiful job.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 PM

341 posts, read 1,473,352 times
Pichy, my two biggest concerns were bleed thru and making sure the paint stuck. The cleaning and scuffing I did with the dirtex and a scotch brite pad. the surface was not to glossy to begin with. Really feel like I got great adhesion.

On the knots, as I mentioned before I spot hit them all with the primer before my first real coat of primer. On many, I got bleed through on that first coat of primer, so I hit them again. Then I rolled primer over the whole thing. When the pros came in to spray, they also hit to make sure I got good coverage. (looking at my records 10 gallons of BIN to do the whole cottage - 1300 square feet). Hopefully, that will help avoid the bleed through. If not, we'll have to zap it again. I am confident though.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,562,714 times
It looks like you took pictures of my new house! Argh--I can't understand why people feel the need to go overboard with wood. And how it is a sin to cover it! It's cheap pine wood that they used because it was cheap.

Sorry, ranting... we live far from any beach, in ranch country, so we are leaving ours as is because we will probably not be staying here longterm. I love your house painted, though! I think it probably fits in better with the location, too. I love your dark table against the white background in the diningroom.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:48 AM

502 posts, read 1,581,160 times
I'm sure it makes the entire home feel more open and brighter. I'd bet the natural light that streams through the windows (especially the bay) feels wonderful now.

Those pics, along with the cold weather we're having, make me want to head to the beach .

Last edited by HomeHuntress; 01-07-2010 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-07-2010, 11:21 PM

5,698 posts, read 18,281,770 times
ugh...I am not a fan of knotty pine. It is very expensive wood to replace though. I think what you did is super fab. Tons better than the natural wood. To me, it seems much more charming painted.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
Default Well done

I love your knotty pine painted. It looks beautiful. What kind of paint did you use? It looks like it covered really, really well. That has been my fear is that it wouldn't look so nice, but yours does. Was it oil based? Or regular paint? Did you prime it with anything special?
Thank you!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM

4,423 posts, read 6,905,981 times
Beautiful!! It looks very cape cod.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,892,403 times
i think it looks stunning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House