Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times

Advertisements

Without a doubt, the table saw is about the most versatile tool in the shop, but it takes considerable practice and effort to develop the skills to properly use it.

You also need the proper amount of dedicated space to get the most out of your tools.

Quote:
Surely, for the same stupid $200, I can build something out of real wood that he could climb on without it collapsing.
Yes, you probably can, but with your current tool inventory and skill level, it probably isn't going to qualify as fine furniture.

Other members have made an excellent suggestion: sign up for a course at the local high school, community college, etc. You'll get a safe introduction into various aspects of woodworking and you'll be in a better position to decide if you wish to pursue it as a hobby.

Woodworking can be a very rewarding hobby/vocation, but like most things, it takes time to gain enough experience to produce consistently good work.

PS: Unless you're going for a design statement, don't use full dovetail joinery with plywood as the exposed end-grain layers tend to draw attention to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
When I moved to this house and discovered the shed in the back is full of wood, including old hardwood panels and siding and other tidbits, I was so happy. My family moved me and noticed the dewey eyed look I had looking at the tools so they left them. I have built my own entertainment center out of old beautiful hardwood, and am making shelves designed to fit in the space. I am still winging it but have learned bit by bit what works. I bought myself a new jigsaw when the other one grew legs and walked and call it my best toy.

I would be so delighted if those who know the really important stuff were willing to teach and mentor. So far I don't have much space to store or do things, but I make do. But I'd love to really be able to create. I made a litttle enclosed bench for the bathroom which doubles as a litter box cover with a dog proof opening, ever so much better than hiding it in the bathtub.

I love it when other women who really want to learn speak up and when women who braved the image have gotten to be really good at it.

It took experiments but I built a shelf for the kitchen custom sized to hold my microwave and convection overn as well as storage. Yes, it looks basic but its sturdy and solid and fits just right. And I feel very proud that I made it myself.

After most of the particle board stuff I moved with suffering fatal injuries on the way down the stairs, I plan to make my own from now on, even if it takes research and practice and everything may not look utterly perfect the first time. At least it doesn't end up in pieces when it moves.

I don't know of any classes in the area, but would love it if some of those who have real experinece would like to pass on their knowledge to the newbies of the world and encourage them to.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Without a doubt, the table saw is about the most versatile tool in the shop, but it takes considerable practice and effort to develop the skills to properly use it.

You also need the proper amount of dedicated space to get the most out of your tools.

Yes, you probably can, but with your current tool inventory and skill level, it probably isn't going to qualify as fine furniture.

Other members have made an excellent suggestion: sign up for a course at the local high school, community college, etc. You'll get a safe introduction into various aspects of woodworking and you'll be in a better position to decide if you wish to pursue it as a hobby.

Woodworking can be a very rewarding hobby/vocation, but like most things, it takes time to gain enough experience to produce consistently good work.

PS: Unless you're going for a design statement, don't use full dovetail joinery with plywood as the exposed end-grain layers tend to draw attention to themselves.
Very good points up top there...also one of the reasons I didn't want to push a large, expensive...unnecessary table saw purchase on a woman who seems more interested in building sturdy, functional furniture, as opposed to building a museum-worthy masterpiece. Many people do not have the space to dedicate to a shop full of tools.

As for exposed edges on plywood, I find that trimming out plywood edges with harwood edging, not only strengthens the piece, but does a fine job of concealing those edges.

To the other newbies on this thread, you might want to look into "free woodworking sites" on the internet. Not only are many of these sites very informative, but many of them are also geared toward newbies who don't have fully-loaded work rooms as well. My suggestion is to start small...and practice on scrap wood first, stuff that you are going to toss into the trash. Don't make your first attempts on costly new lumber...it's far less stressful to practice on crap. LOL You're already nervous about using those tools, you don't need to stress about wasting money too.

Don't forget to try out U-tube and some of the other DIY sites for instructional videos on how to properly operate those tools too. They are out there, all you have to do is look!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I moved to this house and discovered the shed in the back is full of wood, including old hardwood panels and siding and other tidbits, I was so happy. My family moved me and noticed the dewey eyed look I had looking at the tools so they left them. I have built my own entertainment center out of old beautiful hardwood, and am making shelves designed to fit in the space. I am still winging it but have learned bit by bit what works. I bought myself a new jigsaw when the other one grew legs and walked and call it my best toy.

I would be so delighted if those who know the really important stuff were willing to teach and mentor. So far I don't have much space to store or do things, but I make do. But I'd love to really be able to create. I made a litttle enclosed bench for the bathroom which doubles as a litter box cover with a dog proof opening, ever so much better than hiding it in the bathtub.

I love it when other women who really want to learn speak up and when women who braved the image have gotten to be really good at it.

It took experiments but I built a shelf for the kitchen custom sized to hold my microwave and convection overn as well as storage. Yes, it looks basic but its sturdy and solid and fits just right. And I feel very proud that I made it myself.

After most of the particle board stuff I moved with suffering fatal injuries on the way down the stairs, I plan to make my own from now on, even if it takes research and practice and everything may not look utterly perfect the first time. At least it doesn't end up in pieces when it moves.

I don't know of any classes in the area, but would love it if some of those who have real experinece would like to pass on their knowledge to the newbies of the world and encourage them to.
Congratulations to you on building sturdy, solid stuff. It's okay that it's basic! The point is...you did it. The first stuff I built was pretty basic too. It wasn't until later that I started getting up the courage to start getting more fancy and creative. The point is.....LOL....get it sturdy. Fancy isn't worth much if it isn't going to hold up. As I just said in a previous post, look at some internet sites out there. Watch some how-to videos for free. There are demonstrations and free plans available...really some good sites out there. I've used several of them and find them to be quite useful.

Frankly....OP was concerned about building something for her child that wouldn't fall apart or fall on her child. I, personally, wouldn't spend a fortune on materials, nor would I dedicate the time to create a "masterpiece of museum quality" for a child's bookshelf. I have found, with my own children, that sturdy and serviceable are the best things to focus on. Children can do some pretty serious cosmetic damage to their furniture. I'd rather not have the heartache, and I'm sure they'd rather not be completely stressed out by my overprotectiveness of my masterpiece that I so lovingly spent 2 months on!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Mod Note:

It's great to see so much interest in woodworking as a hobby. There is great satisfaction in looking at something knowing you crafted it with your own hands.

Let's keep in mind that City Data has a pretty lively Hobby forum which is probably more suitable for picking up hints.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Might I suggest finding old pieces of good furniture on Craigslist or in thrift shops and repairing and refinishing them?

It still takes some skills, but the learning curve is not nearly as steep as woodworking, although that is a laudable long term goal.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Default Why you don't see women at Woodworking Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I really thought about that for a while before responding. I have to think way way back when the last time I saw a lady installer but Kitchen Designers is almost dominated by women. Interior Decorators is nearly 100% women. I attend lots of different kinds of shows and almost never do I see women in any kind of woodworking.

I dont see any social pressure swaying this. Maybe it's just something that does not interest women. I have no idea. Every class I ever taught always has at least one woman. They always have good ideas and good input to the class but never have any drive to put her hands on the dirt. How frustrating but maybe they feel intimidated being among the minority. It ain't my place to ask but it is my place to welcome all.

I might also add that the busines of woodworkers...I mean real Craftsman, is a dying art. In todays world of instant satisfaction of cheap junk corrogated cardboard box furniture available from the Walmarts and IKEAs there is little demand for any quality furniture anymore.
Sometime last year there was a Better Homes and Gardens magazine with a woman who'd built her kitchen cabinets.
It was a really nice kitchen, I might add. I think you'd approve!

I would really like to take a class in woodworking. I almost did last year.
Wish I lived in Texas, I'd love to take YOUR class!

As far as social pressure, I've never really followed the norms. I was a Floral Designer for many years. I like to sew. I like to bead.
To me, wood is just another medium.

But, you should go shopping for tools with me sometime. I think you'd find the "attitudes" of the salespeople interesting.
Many times, there is an underlying attitude that I must be there to talk to men. Apparently, good looking women can't build stuff.
It's actually difficult to get the information you need.
They are much more interested in challenging you... which btw is very condescending.

and,.... it's not always so underlying.

I remember two yard sales I went to where it was outspoken.

One Yard Sale I went to had advertised Tools. These guys had been contractors and they had a lot of woodshop tools.
When I'd pick up a tool they'd say "I bet you don't know what that's used for... "
One of them came right out and said, "You know where to find the guys" ... or something like that.
Oh yeah... and while I was there - after insulting me - one of them even had the nerve to attempt to sell me their services for asbestos removal or something...
I don't remember what it was but there was no way I would ever hire them to work for me (with the attitude that they had toward women)...
He obviously didn't realize how annoying I thought they were!

At another yard sale where I bought some Woodworking Magazines, this old man really started challenging me - asking me what kinds of tools I have.
When he realized that I had some knowledge, he had the nerve to say something to another man who was also at his yard sale like, "It's like a guy that knits.."

So, ... it's just about putting up with a lotta attitude....

but,... it's worth it!

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-05-2010 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If I had to give up everything in my shop and get to keep just one item, it would be my table saw.

desertsun is, as always, correct. I bought a well-used table saw 35 years ago for my wood-working class. It was a wonderful, but heavy, contraption and I wasnt able to take it with me when I left Seattle. Such an instrument would be a good investment for you.
If I had to give up everything in my shop and get to keep just one item...I would DIE!! Naw....but I'd cry if I couldn't have my 19.2 V cordless drill/driver and my compound miter saw!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Sometime last year there was a Better Homes and Gardens magazine with a woman who'd built her kitchen cabinets.
It was a really nice kitchen, I might add. I think you'd approve!

I would really like to take a class in woodworking. I almost did last year.
Wish I lived in Texas, I'd love to take YOUR class!

As far as social pressure, I've never really followed the norms. I was a Floral Designer for many years. I like to sew. I like to bead.
To me, wood is just another medium.

But, you should go shopping for tools with me sometime. I think you'd find the "attitudes" of the salespeople interesting.
Many times, there is an underlying attitude that I must be there to talk to men. Apparently, good looking women don't build stuff.
It's actually difficult to get the information you need. They are much more interested in challenging you... which btw is very condescending.

and,.... it's not always so underlying.

I remember two yard sales I went to where it was outspoken.

One Yard Sale I went to had advertised Tools. These guys had been contractors and they had a lot of woodshop tools.
When I'd pick up a tool they'd say "I bet you don't know what that's used for... "
One of them came right out and said, "You know where to find the guys" ... or something like that.
Oh yeah... and while I was there - after insulting me - one of them even had the nerve to attempt to sell me their services for asbestos removal or something...
I don't remember what it was.
He obviously didn't realize how annoying I thought they were!

At another yard sale where I bought some Woodworking Magazines, this old man really started challenging me - asking me what kinds of tools I have.
When he realized that I had some knowledge, he had the nerve to say something to another man who was also at his yard sale like, "It's like a guy that knits.."

So, ... it's just about putting up with a lotta attitude....

but,... it's worth it!
That is horrible to be treated that way. Just think, those guys who said those things to you were attractive to some hopeless desperate woman some where. Being treated that way is no different then any other kind of discrimination. Sounds like you showed them up though and got the last laugh.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
That is horrible to be treated that way. Just think, those guys who said those things to you were attractive to some hopeless desperate woman some where. Being treated that way is no different then any other kind of discrimination. Sounds like you showed them up though and got the last laugh.
That's why you don't see a lot of women at your shows.

It doesn't mean that were not doing woodworking though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House