Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

I would say it's a good bet that someone who breaks into your abode that you worked your arse off for has been there before.

Be careful of whom you let in, just like being careful of whom you hang out with.

And don't display your firearms for everyone to see. Grandpa's old deer rifle looks good by the fireplace but is much better off locked in a good gun safe.

Light timers are neat.

Keep your garage door closed unless you'r comin' or goin'.

Keep your cash on you.....especially ifya have a CCW.

Know your neighbors.

All of us know somebody that would love to pet/house sit while we're on our second honeymoon. Don't cancel anything. A well stocked fridge, cable tv and internet is payment enough.

so far, this works for us.....

Last edited by YAZ; 01-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Many people don't realize they leave the key to their home out in their car parked in front of their house.

Keys are on you, you say? Hanging up in the bedroom? Are you sure?

Where's your garage door remote? Is it with your keys, or in your car, parked outside your house?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
For those of you with a GPS system in your car I recently heard this from a safety expert.

Bad guy steals your car while you're at the game, (or wherever). Bad guy pushes "Home" on GPS. Bad guy follows directions to your house. Bad guy drives right into your garage because your clicker is right there on your visor. Bad guy enters your house because you never lock the door from the house to the garage because, after all, the garage door is "down". Bad guy has lots of room in your big SUV for all the goodies he finds in your house and plenty of time to load them up because he knows you won't even be going out to your car for a while.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Note to burglers:
1. my neighbors are armed (so am I)
2. this IS Texas
3. we have the Castle doctrine
4. my neighbors will shoot burglers w/ my permission
5. ever hear of Joe Horn?
Lol. So true. A friend of mine has guns strategically stashed (and hidden) all around his house so that he or his wife are never more than 6 feet away from one. Though I don't know why they need that system, what with 2 huge dobies (though they are as fierce as kittens - but you'd never know).

I was watching a special where they interviewed a bunch of dudes who were in jail for B&E and home robberies. They consistently said that the biggest deterrent was dogs. Not alarms or guns or fences or lights. Dogs. Because of all the noise they make.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Note to burglers:
1. my neighbors are armed (so am I)
2. this IS Texas
3. we have the Castle doctrine
4. my neighbors will shoot burglers w/ my permission
5. ever hear of Joe Horn?

Seriously, until someone kicked down my door w/ me in my apartment, I never thought I could use a gun against someone and so did not have one at my apartment. The ones I owned were hunting guns and were at my parent's place. I learned quickly, the hard way, that I could and would. As those 2 people were tossing my front room around, I was hiding in terror on the phone w/911. Fear for your own life is a mighty motivator let me tell you.
My 12 ga is at arms reach when I'm in bed. The sound of the shell being pumped into the chamber is an unmistakable sound that will make the hair stand up on the back of a would-be theif's neck. If they aren't affraid enough to run when they hear that they will regret not having that fear. I can knock a clay pigeon out of the sky better than anyone I know....guess how much bigger and slower the average human is than a clay pigeon. They will be wounded...in the very least. If they threaten my family they won't live to see the ambulance arrive.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 PM

386 posts, read 1,363,884 times
Something that seems obvious, but we sometimes don't think about (especially guys). Often we open our front doors for strangers, trying not to be rude. We think it is a delivery person, teenager selling things for their school, etc. but we really never know. I saw my young female neighbor open the door the the other day to a complete stranger (obviously not a legit delivery person since no UPS/FEDEX, truck) with two small children in the home. He was selling home made cleaning products. Thank goodness he was not a crazy person, he could have gotten past her and into her home quickly. My hubby opens the door to whoever is at the front door also. Again, if the person had a gun, how could he stop him? I hate to be unfriendly, but unless I know the person, I talk to the person at my front door from inside the room above the door, looking out my window. If I feel they are legit, I'll go to the front door, if not, I ask them to leave their info at the door and I'll look at it later.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
Something that seems obvious, but we sometimes don't think about (especially guys). Often we open our front doors for strangers, trying not to be rude. We think it is a delivery person, teenager selling things for their school, etc. but we really never know. I saw my young female neighbor open the door the the other day to a complete stranger (obviously not a legit delivery person since no UPS/FEDEX, truck) with two small children in the home. He was selling home made cleaning products. Thank goodness he was not a crazy person, he could have gotten past her and into her home quickly. My hubby opens the door to whoever is at the front door also. Again, if the person had a gun, how could he stop him? I hate to be unfriendly, but unless I know the person, I talk to the person at my front door from inside the room above the door, looking out my window. If I feel they are legit, I'll go to the front door, if not, I ask them to leave their info at the door and I'll look at it later.
Nice. I have recently built an atrium type entry that's gated and has a camera/speaker they can push and I can p/up w/ the phone and see on the TV. The gate is 6ft. from the door, but my Moss 590A1 8+1 is in a keypad gun safe near the stairs. Even if they can break through the entry gate, bust down the door, there is enough time to stash the kids in the panic room and grab the 'berg, release the safety, pump and blast: 00 followed by #4, followed by slug, 00, 00, #4, #4, 00, 00. Same set-up upstairs in addition to a 1911, a P226 and a MR762 w/20 round mag.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My 12 ga is at arms reach when I'm in bed. The sound of the shell being pumped into the chamber is an unmistakable sound that will make the hair stand up on the back of a would-be theif's neck. If they aren't affraid enough to run when they hear that they will regret not having that fear. I can knock a clay pigeon out of the sky better than anyone I know....guess how much bigger and slower the average human is than a clay pigeon. They will be wounded...in the very least. If they threaten my family they won't live to see the ambulance arrive.
Being a girl, I got a 20 guage short barrel home defender w/ a plastic stock loaded with heavy buckshot. The 12 ga was a little stout for me. Police officers all suggested this type of gun for home defense as opposed to a hand gun especially in an apartment setting as the buckshot is unlikely to travel through walls. Having grown up in the country, I recall when a stray hunter's bullet zipped through our house so I can understand that. The other two advantages are the sound of chambering a round usually causes any intruder to get the message and run. Additionally, you are less likely to miss w/ a shotgun.

I agree about the dogs being the best defense, I just go out of town alot.

The other thing I have done for my protection is to keep my cyclone fence as opposed to putting up a wood fence. Nosy neighbors or even the thought of being seen by nosy neighbors deters criminals. I'll give up a bit of privacy for that (besides I like to show off my yard and garden to the neighbors).

Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I have a security system but this 3' x 3' sign on my gate has probably been more of a deterrent:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/Dobermansign-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
A wind chime made of empty brass is a nice warning for the doorways. If you're worried about windows, an empty 12 gauge shell left on the sill is an easy way to let the bad guys know that they might have to deal with a gun nut when they get inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House