Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandagd2003 View Post
i have been trying to find a portico solution for my house.. I have a huge window just above my front door, and i can't seem to find a contractor that has a good solution. I stumbled on this thread while looking for an image of something that could work.. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know if this is even do-able while still improving the curb-appeal? Please help.. (attaching pic - there is literally 12 in of space btw top of door & bottom of window.)

One approach is to attach a colonial portico (see example below) - this would be a flat (low sloped) roof; consider covering with a flat lock seam copper or lead coated copper roof, surmounted by a wood balaustrade, and supported by two simple doric columns. The roof structure and flashing should fit within the tight 12 inch space. The depth of the portico entablature can be increased beyond the depth of the structure to correct proportions of the portico as this element should extend beyond the window and door jambs and not be restricted by the distance between the door head and window sill. Drainage of the roof can be achieved by scuppers at the perimeter (roof should be sloped to the scuppers) or through an internal drain. Consider sizing the portico to compliment the proportions of the house while comfortably covering and providing protection for the entry.

Hope this gives you some idea of the possibilities.
Installing a front Portico?-securedownload-3-.jpg
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:45 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandagd2003 View Post
I have been trying to find a portico solution for my house.. I have a huge window just above my front door, and I can't seem to find a contractor that has a good solution. I stumbled on this thread while looking for an image of something that could work.. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know if this is even do-able while still improving the curb-appeal? Please help.. (Attaching pic - there is literally 12 in of space btw top of door & bottom of window.)

I see a two piece window (a 6/0X5/0 with a radius head applied) the solution is to remove the window unit and change the fixed (the lower, square unit) to a 6/0X4/0 or a 6/0X3/0. Or use a shorter 1pc. circle top fixed window.
Either way, you're reinstalling the arch/circle top in original position and gaining more "head space" between the window and the door frame.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times

I was thinking about the same thing in the shower this morning - do my best thinking in the shower - the problem with the 12 inch space between door head and window sill is the resultant low head room which to resolve requires raising the window sill (replace the window unit with a shorter unit)to provide more room as you have suggested - great minds. Although not clear in the photos, it is likely that the window has a fin attachment which will require removal of the brick band surrounding the window to provide access - although more work, not the end of the world if the new portico is a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House