U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2010, 06:57 PM

144 posts, read 501,483 times

Advertisements

We are in California and need to get a dishwasher, fridge, freezer, and gas range.
Where should we go to get the best price? We want to get something decent, but can't afford the really expensive stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM

2,988 posts, read 4,859,468 times
We hit up Lowes when they had 10% off Engery star and then used another 10% off coupon we got in the mail (I think you can get them in the Change Address Packet from the Post Office). So pretty much got 20% off everything except the range (got 10% off of it).

Sears had some 20% off sales but their original prices are marked up high to begin with and I hate those games.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,708,598 times
Check our your local independent dealers first, they are your neighbors and they may be able to work a competitive deal with you.
If that doesn't pan out, or you have no independent retailers left due to the invasion of the big boxes, well, then try Sears.
They have price matching and service that you can actually get and trust, plus decent repair service if ever needed.
Unlike Lowe's or Home Depot, Sears has been around forever and they are better at all of it than those guys.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 PM

140 posts, read 491,005 times
Best thing to do is do what we did. Decided on what brand and model you want, hopefully one at home depot. Then go everywhere around you that sales them to and ask them for their best price, let them know your shopping around and they will go lower! Then after you get the best price take it to the Home depot and they will give you 10% off that price because of their price match guarantee. The lowest price for the dishwasher might be at Sears, the fridge at Lowels, etc.. But make sure you have everything is writing. You can save a lot if your willing to put in the work. The dishwasher we bought is now on clearance for $100 more then what we ended up getting it for. :-) Also its always good to play nice! Oh and we bought LG, and love them!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 AM

28 posts, read 57,266 times
If there is a Sear's Outlet in your area check them out. Where I live they are consistently the lowest for appliances.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 AM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellah View Post
If there is a Sear's Outlet in your area check them out. Where I live they are consistently the lowest for appliances.
Over the holidays I visit a couple that just bought their first home... they bought everything at Sears Dented/Damaged outlet in San Leandro for under $1000

Washer, Dryer, Range and Refrigerator

Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 AM

3,351 posts, read 10,920,412 times
We recently replaced a gas dryer. We had coupons for Home Depot and Lowes (they will honor each others coupons by the way) and went shopping.

What we found shopping was that all of the stores carry the same brands, but they have slightly different model numbers, so its very hard to price shop apple to apples. We went to Sears too, as well as HH Gregg.

We found that all of the stores have a price match. We ended up going with HH Gregg because they also had an in-store special that dropped the price even more.

Our search was hampered a little because gas dryers are not very common here. We had specific features in mind, and that limited our selection to just a couple brands.

We did try the local appliance store, but they didn't have one with the features we wanted on the floor.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM

8,293 posts, read 14,474,232 times
Weirdly enough, I have bought a bunch of appliances these past couple years, from Home Depot. I've run across a couple guys in the appliance department who know I'm serious when I say what I'm looking for. In addition to my own home, I have rental property, so they know that I am going to buy if they give me the deal I want.

They price-match, then beat the prices of their competitors.

For instance, a couple months ago I bought a new GE 18.4 cf refrigerator for $350.00. It was $150.00 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM

5,269 posts, read 11,713,232 times
Best Buy - they will give you 10% just for asking...at least that has been our experience. Really do your own checking - sometimes locally owned stores will have good deals. Also, when you are purchased several appliances, stores, both small and large will give you a discount if you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House