U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM

21,883 posts, read 12,632,880 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of the time a friend asked me what kind of dishwasher I had.

"You're lookin' at her."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

890 posts, read 1,511,858 times
What do they do?

Floor
Vacuum Carpet?
Mop Tiles?
Swifter Wood?
Sweep?
Grout Scrub?

Walls
Do the dust / wipe it down
Sweep ceiling cobwebs?

Dust
Do they dust surfaces with a feather duster type?
Wipe it down with Pledge & paper towel?

Clutter
Do they help remove clutter?
Pick up toys?
Stack magazines, books?

I'm just wondering

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
I bring my own supplies to make my work easier. I generally only use soap, a small amount of bleach, oil, oven cleaner and an abrasive (barkeepers friend). I have bought smaller vacuums for a few clients to also make my work easier, but will use theirs. I pay quarterly estimated taxes, I work 5 to 6 days a week and have weekly, bi-weekly and monthly clients. I charge between 75 and 150 dollars depending on how many bathrooms. I do laundry and windows. I have no problem finding clients through word of mouth, I do not advertise. If you can find an honest, hardworking reliable housekeeper you should not squabble over the fee, most of us are fair and do about 3 to 5 hours worth of labor. In a perfect world for us thier would be no overhead, but getting to the job and health benifits are paid for by ourselves.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:24 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,799,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Marnix View Post
What do they do?

Floor
Vacuum Carpet? No carpet but she vacuums the rugs.
Mop Tiles? Yes. In the bathrooms.
Swifter Wood? Yes.
Sweep? Yes.
Grout Scrub? Not that I am aware of we have never asked her to.

Walls
Do the dust / wipe it down Sometimes
Sweep ceiling cobwebs? Some rooms. Other rooms when we ask.

Dust
Do they dust surfaces with a feather duster type? Dust yes not sure about feathers.
Wipe it down with Pledge & paper towel? No. Pledge is nasty stuff.

Clutter
Do they help remove clutter? Yes.
Pick up toys? Yes.
Stack magazines, books? Yes.

I'm just wondering
The lady who helps us with cleaning does whetever seems to need cleaning. Always bathrooms and kitchen, always vacuum. Sometimes she cleans out the fireplaces, scrubs walls, cleans the microwave, picks up clutter, takes laundry down, empties trash, etc. We have her focus on certain rooms and tell her not to go into other rooms (Kids bedrooms, teen girls bath in the basement - too icky in there). Once in a while we ask her to do special things that need cleaning rarely. Rather than charging more, she just skips some of the usual things. She also makes treats for us sometimes (on her own time at home). We alsways know when it was a "Ruth day" The house is always more tidy than any other day, even if we had a special request. We love our Ruthie. She is like a member of the family.

I think she charges $15 an hour. We have a budget and tell her to work only a certain number of hours a month. She sometimes works more and does not charge us (we tell her not to, but she does anyway). She brings some of her own stuff and uses some of ours. She also allows us to call her anytime when we cannot find something.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, my cleaning lady has none of that overhead. Maybe the gas to get to the house.
Your cleaning lady should get a little more credit then that. I find this very insulting to read that you are putting her on a lower level as if her work is not hard she just has to clean what you dont want to!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,988,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc26 View Post
Your cleaning lady should get a little more credit then that. I find this very insulting to read that you are putting her on a lower level as if her work is not hard she just has to clean what you dont want to!!!
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the poster meant it the way you took it. Many cleaners do no advertising (only by word of mouth), etc. I think that's what he/she meant.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,755 times
unskilled labor! haha that's funny if it is so unskilled why don't you get down and do it??? Dirty job if you ask me. Cleaning your toilets, wiping down your cabinets, cleaning out your microwave!!!! You sure do rely on that woman going to your house, but you will not give her the credit she deserves. Cleaning up after someone else is NOT easy work. If you ask me it is a luxury to have a house maid/service ect. As far as being unskillful let your opinions take you where ever because there is skill in everything that we do.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 AM

381 posts, read 499,427 times
I usually treat myself to an ice cream cone after I've cleaned....

Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM

15,819 posts, read 31,799,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I usually treat myself to an ice cream cone after I've cleaned....
I will buy you an ice cream cone if you come clean our house. Even Coldstone or Frozen Custard - your choice.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 AM

21,846 posts, read 17,055,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc26 View Post
unskilled labor! haha that's funny if it is so unskilled why don't you get down and do it??? Dirty job if you ask me. Cleaning your toilets, wiping down your cabinets, cleaning out your microwave!!!! You sure do rely on that woman going to your house, but you will not give her the credit she deserves. Cleaning up after someone else is NOT easy work. If you ask me it is a luxury to have a house maid/service ect. As far as being unskillful let your opinions take you where ever because there is skill in everything that we do.
You bet it is hard.

The days I stay home and clean it kills me.

Much easier to drill water wells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House