U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,372,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
You have made a valid point & I agree. Once you tell someone that you live in a new larger home with many bedrooms, then you get that label McMansion. But, who's to say how many children or family members are living in that 5-7 bedroom home?

Another point; I keep hearing that these types of homes are jammed on tiny lots. Is there a minimum lot size where you would be excluded from the derogotory phrase "McMansion" ? Is one acre enough or will you be looked down upon & labeled?

What if the cookie-cutter landscaping is removed & updated will folks still point to your home and frown Ohhh McMansion?
Give me a break....
No one would like it if we called the "Quaint Old Victoria" home a dusty boxy antique vault with creaky floors from all the people that died there. Name calling? Exactly. So why must the term McMansion get flung around with no regards? Hey, it's someone's home. It's where my kids live. It's my babys nursery and play area. We don't eat Mc Anythings and we do not live in a Mc anything. We saved, we work, we invested wisely.
We love our house, it's our home. So I'll let them call it all the names they want, but they can all kiss my McAss.
Size is not the only quality that makes a McMansion. There are plenty of larger and truly huge houses that aren't McMansions. Much has to do with the character of the home; how well it fits its environment and community. Landscaping isn't everything either. Plenty of new houses have immature plantings and that's expected.

The quality that makes any house, large or small, an attractive home is the integrity of its design both inside and out; how well it is built and landscaped; and that it suits its geography. Integrity is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 02:45 AM

2,770 posts, read 5,970,221 times
I always picture these homes the way upper-middle class communities market them....if there was real "truth in advertising"....

Something along the lines of "Step into a new home where you can invite your uppity friends from your sports league and business associates to show them how much money you make"....right?

A large house with a zero lot line in itself is just one indicator, especially for a family of 2.5...

Sage

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P. J. O'Rourke

*** Please read the CDF Terms of Service ***

Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM

1,508 posts, read 4,302,506 times
Talking Not so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I always picture these homes the way upper-middle class communities market them....if there was real "truth in advertising"....

Something along the lines of "Step into a new home where you can invite your uppity friends from your sports league and business associates to show them how much money you make"....right?

A large house with a zero lot line in itself is just one indicator, especially for a family of 2.5...
Right? ....No, wrong. How they advertise a house & who lives in the house are obviously two separate identities.

Speaking for myself, I don't have any uppity friends, no sports league & business is business which we keep out of our home. My neighbors are very down-to earth friendly people. Except for those darn JONES'S - Gee wiz they keep getting new cars & pools & lawn decorations & Its HARD to Keep Up With Them...

Old 05-31-2007, 09:28 PM

15,237 posts, read 25,499,148 times
I don't know guys, I own a big home (over 6000 sq. ft.) but I don't consider it a mansion, or even a McMansion in any sense of the word. Prior to reading these posts I really never thought it bothered anybody that some people's houses are bigger than others. Is this a new phenomenon? It never bothered me what other people had.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:34 PM

1,508 posts, read 4,302,506 times
Default no not at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't know guys, I own a big home (over 6000 sq. ft.) but I don't consider it a mansion, or even a McMansion in any sense of the word. Prior to reading these posts I really never thought it bothered anybody that some people's houses are bigger than others. Is this a new phenomenon? It never bothered me what other people had.
this "feeling" has been around for years Twinkle.....

bang- points

Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 PM

1,172 posts, read 4,372,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
It's not the size, it's how you use it.

Again, not every big house is a McMansion.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 PM

1,159 posts, read 2,392,562 times
If a big house uses cheap materials in the structure then, to me, it is a McMansion. I prefer to call it a "Crackerbox Palace" myself.

However, I have no problem with big houses using good materials on small lots. If there is a market for that then what is the harm? Big yards are a pain in the butt to maintain anyway. Are many McMansions energy inefficient? Yup. Are their smaller, older ranch homes and etc that are also energy inefficient? Yup.

To a degree, I can see the point of those who winge about these big houses. It can be construed as a kind of Bowdlerization of high architecture.

By the same token, though, there is an undercurrent of elitism that seems to be whispering that regular folks who are merely affluent and not gazillionaires just do not deserve that kind of relatively luxuriously appointed home. Architects have never really given a tinker's cuss about the homes that regular working folks live in, as a song like "Little Boxes" by Malvina Reynolds will tell you. So many of them now complaining about these McMansions just seems, well, those working folks are clearly trying to rise above their betters, right? How rude of them to do so! It is also these same so-called aesthetic guardians that have created some of out greatest architectural monstrosities such as the Aaron Spelling estate and the cookie cutter glass and steel gauntlets of places such as NYC.

So if you don't like what are often called McMansions, don't buy one. You can still spend $3.5 million on a little spartan 1100 sqft home in Newport Beach if you wish to rub elbows with the wealthy and want to feel you're better than everybody else. It's a free country. But to complain about the choices others have made is arrogant. It isn't your place to tell people where to live.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM

141 posts, read 523,919 times
I thought the only problem was when someone tore down an older smaller home right in the middle of a neighborhood full of older smaller homes and built one of these Mcmansions. Mind you this is usually done in a neighborhood where homes are taken care of, lawns are manicured and home values remain high. All of a sudden the whole character of a neighborhood can change and your house is only worth something to someone who wants to build a Mcmansion as well. The neighborhood begins to look off with the weird mixture of old and new, big and small. I don't think there is anything wrong with new neighborhoods going up that contain all Mcmansions.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:04 PM

6,981 posts, read 16,635,585 times
It one of those things that when you see one, you know what it is. The McMansions around here are tacky. A dozen or so different little changes in the roof heights and gables, cute little doodads over the doors and windows. It will have a patio even though it's about the size of a hankie and half of the patio will be taken up by a real sho'nuff hot tub.

And of course, it has to be somewhat large to contain all the rooms. That means that three or four of the bedrooms will be so small that anything over the size of a cot will crowd it. The master bedroom will be big enough to have a fireplace and couch and chairs. There will be a media room, a two story foyer, an office, a library, gigantic kitchen, a den and a playroom. I almost forgot, all of those rooms will have fireplaces. They may not work, but hey, they look like it. But, the kids will still have a shoe box instead of a decent size bedroom.

Did I miss anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House