U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 PM

12,336 posts, read 15,911,254 times

Advertisements

My Lowes receipt shows roughly $300 labor for installation of a pre-hung door from this past fall. That included pulling and replacing the same few trim pieces.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 137,613 times
Home Depot entry door installations run $357.00 for a single, no side lights or transom door...whether its wood, fiberglass, or metal. It was $398.00 until approx 6 months ago, when they dropped their price in an effort to out-do Lowe's pricing for the same project. I know because I was a door installer for HD until last week. My current labor only price to do the same work?: $250.00/ This includes changing out the "sub-threshold" lumber, (the pressure treated lumber that is found under the door's aluminum thresh hold), installing fresh insulation, shimming, installing the new hardware, (door knobs and dead-bolt), and caulking the perimiter. I would install aluminum capping over the brick mould for an additional $50.00. HD's price for capping? $90.00!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 AM

28,402 posts, read 67,486,704 times
It completely depends on what is involved. Is it the same size? Is it prehung? Does it fit well enough that you cna just pull the hing pins and put your new door on the old hinges? It could take anything from 1 hour to five days. A good handyman or contractor will charge $45 - $85 per hour depending on your location (and on their overhead).

Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 AM

8,308 posts, read 35,827,888 times
It occurs to me that if you have the tools and know-how to install door casing, there isn't any real reason why you couldn't install a pre-hung door. It's tedious work and if it's your first attempt then a substantial amount of the total work time will be spent scratching your head, but it's do-able. The world seems a little less scary after everything you do for the first time.

*EDIT* Nevermind... OLD post. Hope you have everything figured out by now. *EDIT*

Old 11-24-2010, 05:07 PM

15,513 posts, read 8,587,695 times
Two years ago I replaced an exterior set of french doors and found a licensed, insured independent installer through the builder supply company where I purchased my doors. He was the one that the associates used to install doors and windows in their own homes. The install ran $400 labor + materials and I had no regrets. I have found that cutting corners often costs more than getting it done right (and quickly) by a pro.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM

432 posts, read 3,278,240 times
Hey guys,

Sorry I have not responded to this thread sooner and i have been away from city-data for a while.

I ended up finding a guy that bought the door form me wholesale from Glasscraft for about $700, and then charged about $250 to do all the prep work (cutting the holes, etc) and staining. He was in a different city an hour away.

Basically, to save the fee for measuring and all that, I measured the door exactly per his instructions on the phone, and then went to pick up the door a week later from his shop. Two other local door retailers had quoted me $1800 for the exactly same door, installed.

Basically, I saved a ton of money installing it myself. I just had to get my neighbor to help because the door weighs well over 100 lbs, but it popped into the existing frame perfectly! I just had to reinstall my old door hardware and i was good to go.

Anyway, on to the pics!! Old door is shown on top.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 PM

5,641 posts, read 9,486,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you want someone who will stand behind their work, is licensed, and insured (both workman's comp and general liability)- expect the $300-500 labor invoice.

Remember, you get what you pay for. I would also recommend that you not buy the unit yourself. Whoever you decide to hire- let them measure, order, and deliver (or have delivered). That way if it isn't right, it's on them not you.
I know this is an old post, but if you happen to be reading this, can you elaborate on why the labor is so expensive? If it's 'what the market will bear' then I can understand one way, but being a novice and have no clue, it puzzles me why this labor is so expensive?

I think you can justify cost in every field with "you get what you pay for", but seriously this does not provide me (or other potential customers) insights as to why installing a door is so expensive.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM

8,861 posts, read 17,424,560 times
Here, you are technically required to have a permit for exterior window and door replacement. We've got a tougher building code than most places because of hurricanes. And permit required leads to needing someone properly licensed in order to pull it, and then an inspection from the county before the trim goes in.

Hassle, yeah, but if you don't install the window or door properly (which is different here than putting in a door in, say, Wisconsin), it means that your nice door that was built to Miami-Dade standards might not actually hold up to 100mph winds.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 11,200,538 times
bjorn --

Your door is beautiful!! Great job! We just installed a new front door ourselves as well, also opting to go from a solid 6 panel look to a full lite decorative glass. Makes a world of difference in the foyer!

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM

14,046 posts, read 53,431,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
...insights as to why installing a door is so expensive.

Most successful (even in this economy)subcontractors that I know won't even turn the key on their truck unless there's at least $200 to pocket.
Every subcontractor has overhead- gas, insurance (vehicle[s]), maintenance, taxes, general liability insurance, W/C insurance, Business license(s), professional license(s), tools, phone(s), etc.
Then there's travel time, total job time, and warranty issues. Then there's the time for ordering materials, time management of projects-
All these things add to the bottom line. I've heard just about every excuse from people over the years about the price they paid for this or that. And on a few rare occasions I'd inquire as to a breakdown of the job that was done- all the answers I perceived to be based on what the customer thought it was worth as if they had done the work (or thought they could do the work) themselves.
I've gone so far as to ask what they thought was involved in a project (bottom line), the majority of the time- they only saw the cosmetic items. The physical, not the nails, saw blades, air tool maintenance, insulation, caulk, and putty; not to mention, paper work, licenses, etc.

So; yes, there is a lot of truth to- "you get what you pay for". Granted, there is "what the market will bear", but these kind of guys don't "compete" with pickup truck guys with a hammer, saw, and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or