Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:02 PM

140 posts, read 834,910 times

Advertisements

We are up dating our bathrooms in a 14 year old house and the toilets are almond color and I much rather prefer white since our trim and vanity's are now white. I've seen toilets from $50 to $500 at the hardware store. Is there really any difference between them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 06:11 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
Height - I switched mine out to ADA height and it is much more comfortable. Probably not good for young children because of the additional height.

Number of gallons per flush. You could also get dual flush (lighter flush for just liquids and more water for solid stuff). Your local government may offer a rebate for installing a water conserving toilet.

Performance - they even have toilets with vacuum assist rather than just gravity.

Different Kinds of Toilets for your bathroom

Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
We have the slow lowering seat and cover. No more slamming sounds. When I close lids of toilets (always with my foot of course), I tend to let it go and it slams down loudly because I'm use to our lids slowly falling.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGirl View Post
We are up dating our bathrooms in a 14 year old house and the toilets are almond color and I much rather prefer white since our trim and vanity's are now white. I've seen toilets from $50 to $500 at the hardware store. Is there really any difference between them?
I put in two new Cranes, they were $138.00 each and work fine.. Had them for about a year now... I think they are 1.5 gallons per flush.. One flush and everything is gone...

They came with seat and wax seal...

Old 01-16-2010, 08:07 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
I will add to the list of questions. Does it matter if it is one piece? Esp if you are going to install it yourself. Also even if functionality was the same what brand adds more value to the house? Most people I talk too prefer Kohler for no apparent reason, so I would imagine if they were looking at my house as a potential buyer, seeing the brand they like would be more reassuring for them.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
One of the best flushing toilets are the Mansfield ones. Not the most stylish, but frankly I'm not in that room to admire to fixtures . There is a HUGE list out there someplace that lists more toilets than I knew even existed, and their test results. All types are tested and compared to each other by type. Gravity only, power assist, vacuum assist, etc... just can't remember the name to save my life right now.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:57 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
One of the best flushing toilets are the Mansfield ones. Not the most stylish, but frankly I'm not in that room to admire to fixtures . There is a HUGE list out there someplace that lists more toilets than I knew even existed, and their test results. All types are tested and compared to each other by type. Gravity only, power assist, vacuum assist, etc... just can't remember the name to save my life right now.
That is funny. We have bought this house recently and it is the first time ever that I have had to use the plunger, not even sporadically but once a week. Checked the brand and it is Mansfield, had never heard of it before, but was never into toilets either! Asked the local plumber and he says the builder quality toilet is narrow and you have to change them, otherwise you are going to be embarrassed when guests cause flooding (happened already once by the way).

Old 01-17-2010, 12:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
All I know is that I've been to houses that had fantastic toilets that flushed with amazing force and speed.

Sure beats watching everything float around hoping it will go down.

So to answer your question, I think the difference is how often you're willing to use the plunger.

You don't need top of the line, but definitely don't buy the bottom of the line. Get something inbetween.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
Difference ... definitely, and it's not just in the price.

Performance should be the biggest factor ... the higher the MaP score, the better it will flush solids out. The maximum usage of any new toilet is 1.6 gpf these days, though there are 1.28 gpf, 1.1 gpf, and dual flush models which can use less than a gallon on light flushes. Don't presume that the lower gpf ones perform poorer ... performance really boils down to design.

After that, consider the seat shape (round/elongated) and height ... some are fine with lower, some prefer the higher "chair" height. Lastly, consider the style ... a one piece is sleeker than a two piece, but typically costs more.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:27 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times
The Trend in Toilets in Pocono building is low flow, brand preferred are either American Standard, Kohler or Vitra. (I prefer AS) Folks are wanting comfort-height, elongated toilets.

As for replacing toilets... it is easier (imo) to replace a 2 piece toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House