Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 AM

82 posts, read 324,979 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a vacation rental biz and allow pets but need to find a better solution for pet hair clean-up. No matter how much we vacuum, swiffer, scrub, vacuum again it seems I always see hair on the wood floor and ceramic tile. Yet I get on my hands and knees to clean and hair sticks on me. Other than rolling on the floor, any suggestions? Something that makes sure it sticks and then sucks it up? We need to find a solution so we can keep allowing pets without a large clean-up fee. We are big sticklers on getting things sterilized, used to doing it because my mom is highly allergic, its just the floors that are a pain in the rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,126,623 times
I don't know, because I use the Swiffer sweeper and it works fine for me. I have a long haired black cat, and a light eggshell ceramic tile floor.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
try the sham-wows
rubber band one around my broom, dust and hair really grabs on.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:07 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Honestly, if you are renting to pet owners, they will not be so insistent that every hair be gone. We're used to stray hairs.

As to removing the pet hair, try Endust on a cloth over your broom, or a fluffy duster (not feather, the ones that work by static cling). Still, you will NEVER get every single hair. Most people will not see the hair on the floor if a reasonable cleaning has been done. The only people who would worry would be people with severe allergies. You might consider reserving a unit for pet-free, if you get a lot of those.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have a cordless electric broom which is very good for this.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourrousehouse View Post
My husband and I have a vacation rental biz and allow pets but need to find a better solution for pet hair clean-up. No matter how much we vacuum, swiffer, scrub, vacuum again it seems I always see hair on the wood floor and ceramic tile. Yet I get on my hands and knees to clean and hair sticks on me. Other than rolling on the floor, any suggestions? Something that makes sure it sticks and then sucks it up? We need to find a solution so we can keep allowing pets without a large clean-up fee. We are big sticklers on getting things sterilized, used to doing it because my mom is highly allergic, its just the floors that are a pain in the rear.
Just wanted to say...bless you for accepting pets! We like to take ours with us and have done so renting a mountain cabin. I don't recall seeing pet hair when we arrived but since we brought pets, maybe it went unnoticed. Good luck finding a solution.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
When you consider that hairs cling to other surfaces you might find that you're getting it off the floor but new ones are falling and migrating from here and there whenever there is air disturbance.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Get a vacuum with a hose attachment and a brush and use that vs the beater bar on the vacuum. It works just fine. I also agree that you need to vacuum the furniture before you do the floor. Make sure your furnace filter gets changed often too.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:42 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
We have a houseful of pets, and I use a Hoover Floormate. I vacuum first, then go over the floor with the Hoover. Because it's wet, it attaches to the hairs, plus it mops the floor, too. It also sucks up bits of sand/dirt that fall into the cracks on the hard wood floor. It's not good at cleaning large scuff marks, but it's great for picking up pet hair and light stains, dirt, etc.

Hoover - FloorMate SpinScrub Widepath Floor Cleaner - Blue/White - H3044 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hoover+-+FloorMate+SpinScrub+Widepath+Floor+Cleaner+-+Blue/White/8511675.p?skuId=8511675&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=851 1675&ref=06&loc=01&id=1186005933339 - broken link)

Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM

82 posts, read 324,979 times
Default Thank you everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions, we'll start testing them out today. Today we'll try the shamwow because we already own it, but I'll be looking into the others if this doesn't work. We do dust/vacuum all the table, etc surfaces using a kirby with a hose/brush attachment first, even the drapes and inside all the vents. We also load up all the linens carefully prior to starting cleaning. We vacuum and shampoo the futon and vacuum the front and back of all floor mats. We'll see how it goes today, basically want to do a successful clean because about half our guests don't have pets. The pet hair that is the hardest to get up is labrador, its coarser than most, that's where we've had the problem. If we can get it all up and spend less time doing it, then it will keep our rates low (we're only $40/night for base rate) and the pet's allowed policy will remain. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House