Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
IGotta say I don't understand the need or want for big gourmet kitchens when people don't cook as much anymore Doesn't seem to be practical or logical to me.
I hear ya. And I cook every day.

I see some of the huuuge kitchens and they just, wear me out! Just looking at them! Think of all of those wasted footsteps....

I really really hate it when they have an island "just because" and it serves no practical purpose. If it doesn't contain a sink or a cooktop, it's pretty much just in my way.

I could care less about the refrigerator being part of the "work triangle" by the way. I could live with it being in another room even. When I cook , I grab and prep everything before hand (mise en place) so it doesn't really matter. I want milk and eggs and butter at room temp. I just need access to plenty of countertop, a sink ( a triple woul be great!) and my tools and spices. Open shelves rock!

Obviously, I am way way off the charts when it comes to modern American homes.

I try to temper my needs and wants with "resale value' when remodeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Gotta say I don't understand the need or want for big gourmet kitchens when people don't cook as much anymore Doesn't seem to be practical or logical to me. I actually prefer a very small kitchen with access to the living areas of the home.
Same here. Although I didn't think it mattered initially, one thing that has come in handy is a ceramic-top stove. We have very little counter space, and it provides just that little bit extra I need when unloading groceries...at least when it's cool! Don't ask.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We have owned 2 houses with kitchens similar to that, one was about the same size and one was only slightly larger. I love that layout. It is very efficient. We had cabinets that went all the way to the ceiling in the first house (smaller kitchen) and they were deep so we could get a lot of stuff in them. In the second house the cabinets had a lot of features (lazy Susan's in all the corner cabinets, etc) so we could get a lot of stuff in them.

Our kitchen now is very large but still very efficient. The way the island is set up it creates a 'galley" style kitchen on 3 sides of the island so we can have several cooks going at once.

I think the most important feature of ANY kitchen is to have at least 3 feet of uninterrupted counter space for food prep. After that, it really doesn't matter if your kitchen as the optimal "work triangle".

Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Your kitchen makes mine look big. So I won't complain about the size anymore. Ours is comfortably a 2 person kitchen, 3 starts to make it crowded. Your is well laid out though.

I lived in an apartment with a 3/4 butt kitchen for about 8 years. Lived on my own though but I did always cook. I had a fridge, stove, single sink, not a lot of counter space, and a cart to put my microwave on. Just a a small, square room that opened onto the living room.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:28 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,207 times
Thanks for all the replies, this was my parents house, it was built 1939 as a cape-cod in the woods, It has three bedrooms, one bedroom was converted to a bathroom, so now we have two bathrooms, Its small but nice and cozy,I have a wood burner in the fireplace, I cant complain, I got the house free.Over the years we have made updates to the house-$30,000-$50,000 or more, Its a well built house.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I raised our family in a home with a long galley kitchen - getting a counter-depth refrigerator helped make that kitchen roomier to cook in and visually so much larger....people thought we had enlarged the kitchen....a big fridge sticking out into your floor space really can make a difference in how a kitchen feels. We bought a new counter-depth fridge when we moved 18 months ago - both fridges are 25.5 cf.

I agree 100% - you don't need a million dollar kitchen the size of Baltimore to turn out lovely meals and raise big families.

Last edited by Cattknap; 01-24-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 09:48 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Amen. I know more than a few people that have gourmet kitchens bigger than most apartments, yet they can burn a can of soup, lol.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Amen. I know more than a few people that have gourmet kitchens bigger than most apartments, yet they can burn a can of soup, lol.
Thats a good one.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:10 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
The kitchen in our ca 1915 house isn't much wider (might be longer, I can't tell) but 6 people used it over the years, meals were in the dining room. It used to be bigger but at some point the original owner moved the interior wall to expand the dining room to accomodate a built in sideboard/china cabinet with stained glass doors. That created some interesting issues upstairs with the bedroom floors. We're the 2nd owners of the house (3rd if you count the woman we bought it from and her father as two separate owners).

Old 01-24-2010, 10:18 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I raised our family in a home with a long galley kitchen - getting a counter-depth refrigerator helped make that kitchen roomier to cook in and visually so much larger....people thought we had enlarged the kitchen....a big fridge sticking out into your floor space really can make a difference in how a kitchen feels. We bought a new counter-depth fridge when we moved 18 months ago - both fridges are 25.5 cf.

I agree 100% - you don't need a million dollar kitchen the size of Baltimore to turn out lovely meals and raise big families.
I won't disagree with you...you don't need a big kitchen to cook. But I really could use more counterspace and more storage room. Not to turn out a great meal, as I can do that where I am. But to make the whole experience more enjoyable, and to share that experience with friends and family. I would also describe my kitchen as "one butt" size, and there have been many times where it would be nice to have to room for at least one more butt in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House