U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM

140 posts, read 486,313 times

Advertisements

I’m remodeling my guest bathroom and while pulling up the baseboards decided to look under the Tarkett linoleum flooring. All round the tub area and toiled is white and black mold/mildew. Not really sure which so I took a picture. We have not used this bathtub since moving in (6 months ago) and know the house was vacant for about 3-5 years before moving in. What are my options and what should I do about this? Do I just use a bleach solution to kill the mold because I would really like to keep the Tarkett floors. I've never dealt with anything like this so would really appreciate advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
YAZ

6,153 posts, read 6,698,214 times
Looks like you'll have to replace the sub floor. Rip out the linoleum too.

Fortunately, it looks like your tub isn't leaking, the folks that lived there before prob'ly didn't use a bath mat.

Go with tile in the bathroom.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM

4,808 posts, read 7,532,651 times
That looks like a 1/4" luan sheet for the vinyl flooring. The sub floor may be fine. Is the luan soft where the mold is? If not, and the floor is still level I would clean her with whatever recommended mold killer cleaner and redress the vinyl.

Just make sure you take steps to remediate why the floor was getting that damp to begin with.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:56 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,687,764 times
You have to pitch the Tarkett linoleum. The bottom is too porus. It can't be saved.

You won't need to replace the subfloor. I've seen terrible mold on wood from flooding and the wood didn't need to be replaced.

Be thankful the seal along the edge of the bathtub is intact. That means the mold isn't likely under the bathtub.

Kill the mold with bleach. Air out with a fan after the mold is killed and removed. Let it air out for a few weeks to make sure it doesn't grow back before installing the new flooring.

If it grows back during the few weeks after using bleach, you can increase the attack by buying a special chemical. You DON'T want to use it unless absolutely necessary.

Give the bleach a try first. It should work fine. Usually mold grows back because it wasn't all killed or it wasn't properly ventilated afterwards or the weather was humid.

You'll need to install a tile floor to resolve the moisture problem. Tile is the only type of flooring that is sealed for water.

btw, it is mold.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 AM

43,017 posts, read 49,687,764 times
Before you start to remove it, you need to identify if it's BLACK mold. If it is, you need to be very careful that you don't kick up spores into the air while removing it.

You don't want the spores in the air because they are deadly for your health, but they will also setting elsewhere in your house.

Here's a How To on identifying black mold: How to Identify Black Mold | eHow.com

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,039,135 times
Hope,

The information in that link is not impressive. Step #5. Contact a home inspector to do an inspection for mold. Oy Vey!

Here's a link to mold information from an industrial hygenist.

Mould Health Effects: State of knowledge (mold)

Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 AM

8,552 posts, read 9,881,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
Hope,

The information in that link is not impressive. Step #5. Contact a home inspector to do an inspection for mold. Oy Vey!

Here's a link to mold information from an industrial hygenist.

Mould Health Effects: State of knowledge (mold)
Have you noticed that after insurance companies started to fight over mold damage the all of the hype on the news went away....

Old 01-26-2010, 02:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,901,342 times
Hopes and Threerun gave you excellent advice - no need to panic. Make positively certain you find the cause of this problem. Also, do you have excellent ventiliation for this bathroom?

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM

So we decided to go with tile so this problem does not come back. We figured the problem was because the previous owners didn't glue the linoleum down. It was only held in place by base boards, so if any water splashed out of the shower it would go right under the linoleum.

Any tips on what color tile to buy, trying to keep it low cost. Walls are going to be a deep green and vanity and trim is bright white.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 PM

After further inspection the mold is all the way through the sub floor and it needs to be replaced, so we are working on that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House