U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 1,896,837 times

Advertisements

Need help!!

We ordered Pella exterior door with 1 sidelight from Lowes and received it last month. Just today, our contractor opened the box and found the door is opened on the wrong side. We want door knob on the left (all switches on the left side wall), but now door knob is on the right. We went back to check our order list and found my husband said it wrong when ordering. I guess that's our fault. We called Pella and they said there is no way to fix it. We will have to order a new door. will Lowes take our return for special order exterior door? is there any other solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:10 PM

352 posts, read 492,432 times
I would think Lowes would take the door back. It can be used by someone else I am sure.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM

8,590 posts, read 9,967,988 times
No they will not take it back if you special ordered the wrong door and it was your mistake...

You can try to sell it and that is about it..

But a good door man may be able to fix it....depends if the inside and the outside are the same...

How much did you pay for it?

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

2,833 posts, read 8,955,262 times
Why don't you just pick up the phone and call Lowes instead of asking someone on this forum? That way you will get your answer a whole lot faster.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

$1800

Old 01-26-2010, 02:38 PM

we did call. no one is answering the phone in door/window department. we plan to stop by there tonight. Just want to check if any one has experience or better solution.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM

421 posts, read 1,308,534 times
Lowe's might take it back. If they do, they'll probably charge a re-stocking fee since it is special order. But obvioulsy the re-stocking fee is better than eating the entire $1800.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
I know you probably already know this, but to describe the swing you want on an exterior door, stand with your back to the jamb side where you want the hinges to be, and swing the arm that is on the inside side of your house as if you are swinging a door in. If it's your left arm, you want a left hand door, or if it's your right arm you want a right hand door.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
No they will not take it back if you special ordered the wrong door and it was your mistake...
I'm not convinced that Lowe's isn't partly responsible for the mistake. They are the experts helping novice homeowners order things using terminology that is unfamiliar to the average homeowner. If I go in and say "I need a left hand door," the Lowe's employee, knowing that homeowners mess this up all the time, should have double and triple checked - using simple understandable terminology -exactly what the homeowner was trying to order and that it matched their needs. If they didn't do that, shame on them for dumping the problem in the homeowner's lap and walking away.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

You can try to sell it and that is about it..

But a good door man may be able to fix it....depends if the inside and the outside are the same...

How much did you pay for it?
This is the only complete and correct answer. Lowes does not take back any special order. No way no how and I will bet the farm on it. That's why you pay 100% in full to order it. It's special cause it only fits YOUR application. It's virtually useless to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House