Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,521,563 times

Advertisements

I have around 100 acres on a lake peninsula. The land is a couple of hours for me and I thought maybe I should put a modular house on it and rent it out to someone who likes wildlife and might also be able to watch over the land or landscape it.

Would a modular house be a good idea?

Are they generally better quality than mobile homes?

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I have around 100 acres on a lake peninsula. The land is a couple of hours for me and I thought maybe I should put a modular house on it and rent it out to someone who likes wildlife and might also be able to watch over the land or landscape it.

Any suggestions?
A mobile home is one built before June 15, 1976.
After that date they are called manufactured homes.

Modular homes are sometimes less expensive per square foot than site built houses.
A well-built modular home should have the same longevity as its site-built counterpart, increasing in value over time.

Formerly referred to as mobile homes or trailers, but with many more style options than in the past, manufactured homes sometimes decrease in value over time.

Modular Homes - About Modular and Manufactured Homes

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
If you need a water well and septic, hire these people yourself. No "package" deals from the home company. It is a scam.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I tried googling Modular home reviews but never really saw any.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quality varies. Modulars generally have to follow the building codes for stick-builts in the area. Manufactured have to follow HUD codes. Find the locations for factories within about 150 miles of the site and then go look at samples. If you go beyond the 150 mile radius, Pennsylvania is where a lot of them are built.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
Formerly referred to as mobile homes or trailers...
Oh have no doubt, they're still referred to as trailers and mobile homes. Maybe not by real estate people but certainly by the populace at large. Which is as it should be.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
The second poster was referring to the difference between modular and manufactured housing, not modular and mobile so those thoughts are void.

A mobile home is one built for portability, it is on wheels and can be towed to a permanant location. You blow torch off the hitch receiver, place the modular on blocks and remove the wheels and sometimes the axle. Then you may or may not skirt the perimeter.

A modular home is a real stick built home like any other home except it is built in a factory and flat bedded to your location. Most cases it will be modules of 14' X 28'. Side by side will give you 28' square foot print or you can stack them for a 2 story. These are dropped by crane onto a slab, piers or a full foundation. Once complete there is no one that can tell that it was built in a factory rather then on site. From the inside the only tell tale sign is the center wall will be about 12" thick.

Structurally a modular may be better then a traditional stick built because it is built under controlled climate conditions in a factory. All building codes are exceeded over a site built. The main difference is the add ons are as cheap as free rent. The cabinets will be no better quality then the cardboard boxes sitting behind the grocery stores. Tubs, sinks, toilets, carpeting, flooring etc are as junky as anything found in Walmart or a Dodge dealer. If you were willing to upgrade then you can put in anything as quality as available. This home is not meant to ever move but a mobile can still be rerigged to be moved again and again.

Some of the better and more popular brands are Palm Harbor, Oak Creek and Clayton.

Whatever you choose to put on your land, the cost of a septic and well will be just about the same. Power might vary a tad depending on how far the power company has to run a line and how many utility poles they may have to set just for you. You said you were on a lake. Depending on who the owner of that lake is, most water authorities put restrictions on waste water systems near water. What I mean by that is they make a rule that any waste system within 300' of the lake MUST be closed. That means no leach lines. Just a closed tank that fills and you must empty maybe every month. And man does that suck. Say $400 cost to the honey truck every 30 days to empty the tank?

A septic engineer can design around the rules. You may have to run the leach lines far from the home and water but it's doable. It just adds to the cost. Oh yea, sometimes being close to a fresh water lake you can have an open waste system but you must use what's called an aerobic system. This is a system where air is pumped into the tank to break down solids rather then rely on the tradional system that relys on bacteria to break down solids.

Whatever the case look into this.
Where is this place by the way? Sounds beautiful !!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:18 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Modular homes are becoming more popular in this area and are almost impossible to tell from stick built once completed. Many different styles. One builder in the neighboring town built a high dollar townhouse development a few years ago-buy in at $400K.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Desert Sun this area is the northern end of Lake Corpus Christi 1.4 miles west on hwy 534 of the Swinney Switch exit on I-37 about 40 miles north of Corpus Christi and 95 miles south of San Antonio. I saw a few bad reviews on Oak Homes but have not seen any site with reviews of the manufacturers- thanks everyone I do understand the difference between mobile and modular- just want to see some good reviews.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
A true modular is a great idea. Some are even built to withstand higher winds than a stick built house can.

Google Bob Villa of This Old House fame to see what he thinks about them - they are up to his standards

Be sure not to confuse them with mobile or manufactured homes - they are much better.

Too bad you aren't closer to South Carolina, these guys build BEAUTIFUL modular homes: http://www.blueridgelogcabins.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House