Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM

424 posts, read 2,340,067 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a new dishwasher, in the $300 range (so just basic, really), what should I look for? I compare them online and see plastic tubs, and PVC or Vinyl racks in my price range. Any advice? What brands seem more reliable? Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I'd loo to make sure it has preheat so you water heater temperature doesn't have to be raised. I'd also look for dial timers and controls rather than electroic than can be more costly to repair than the dishwaer is worth after one year.Once you gewt past features you ant more cost is mostly better sound insulation for quiter operation is what i have found.If its nearby the entertainment area its worth it IMO to get lower noise as kitchnhe are pretty noise reflective areas with hard floor etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
Pretty, fit, good personality, fun to be with, common sense, common spiritual views, etc........

I married mine 30 years ago.........

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just kidding. Carry on........

Frank

Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Very funny, Frank. Actually, the men do the dishes at my house, haha!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:51 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,530,555 times
I was recently told that bosch dishwashers were by far the best. Friends of ours love their Fisher Paykel also.

I know it is not environmentally smart, but my one teenage son while going to college I found out afterwards went to Sam's club and bought a CASE of paper plates, so for months they had no dishes to do.

I advised him not to do so.........

Frank

Old 02-04-2010, 05:01 PM

my price range is more GE, Whirlpool, etc.

or I guess paper plates would work

Old 02-05-2010, 09:58 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
I went to Lowe's last night and was looking and if you want a quieter dishwasher, you will have to pay a bit more, they usually have them displayed from cheapest to most expensive which typical goes quietest to loudest. At Lowe's they did have decibel ratings and they did follow the prices (highest decibels on lower price models and went lower decibel ratings to higher prices). I am eyeing on Bosch myself, but may decide on something else. They have one for $499.99 right now, figure I could find a 10% off coupon somewhere like the Post Office, then try to find a price match to get it for a little less. Free delivery and free haul away of old unit sounds like a good deal to me.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 AM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Pretty, fit, good personality, fun to be with, common sense, common spiritual views, etc........

I married mine 30 years ago.........

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just kidding. Carry on........

Frank
I knew someone would beat me to it...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
For a $300 budget, you're not going to get the most stylish, nor the quietest, but you can get some decent performing one, at least.

The primary aspect to washing is getting the water sprayed around, so look at how many wash levels a particular model has. The cheap ones have 2, which only means the spinning spray arm at the bottom and a center spray ... and they SUCK. Look for one with 3 levels or more; the ones with a spray arm under the upper rack and a sprayer at the top of the tub being the most preferable.

Cycles ... light, medium, and heavy is all you need, really. Any more, and consider them bonuses.

Heating ... if there's a heated dry function, then it'll typically be on during the wash cycle too, so the water stays hot.

Layout ... a dishwasher is useless if it can't accommodate your usage. Some upper racks are positioned too low to allow enough large plates to fit on the bottom, and some are positioned too high to allow for taller glasses in the upper. It's best to bring a set of your dishes along when checking the models, just so you can check if it works well enough for you.

Brand ... stick with the major ones.

Purchasing ... if you're comfortable buying from alternative sources, there's always Habitat Restore/thrift stores, craigslist, and local eBay auctions. Hit-and-miss for new products, but you never know. FWIW, the dishwasher I'm going to be putting in my kitchen is a panel-ready Kitchenaid that I got for $350, brand new in the box. I don't mind that the factory warranty has expired already when one's saving $700.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Take a look in CR's Buyer's Guide for 2010 - should have some good recommendations in there.

Don't dismiss used appliances, you don't see a lot of used dishwashers out there but they can be a good deal, particularly if you buy from an outfit that reconditions them. Typically parts that break commonly get upgraded, so in some ways a 5-year old one that's been reconditoned by someone who knows what they are doing can be better than a new one.

Check Sears, they will have Kenmore ones on sale most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House