Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:49 AM

350 posts, read 4,157,820 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying a house. I was told that the property has been treated for termites in the past. Should this raise a red flag? I don't know anything about termites or treatment for termites. (I'm an apartment renter). What does treatment for termites involve--do they spray the outside of the house or inside too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Can be tented (poison gas) or it can be heat treated. Maybe other methods.

If the region (such as Northern Alabama) has termites, consider a termite replacement bond and the sentricon system.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,499,212 times
Treatment for termites isn't a bad thing, but the bigger issue is what damage, if any, was discovered which prompted the need for treatment. Get copies of receipts for those treatments and repairs. And, as Charles mentioned, is there a current termite bond on the property?

Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
The inspector you hire can best advise you because he will be working for you.

In my area... Termite inspections cover things beyond termites and just about every home more than a few years old will have something...

There are several different ways of treating, prevention and several types of termites that also require different methods of control to be effective.

On the face of it, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you understand what you are buying, including the condition of the home.

In CA, termite reports must be filed with the State and copies can be purchased... not sure how it works elsewhere.

Your asking the right questions

Old 02-12-2010, 06:45 AM

41,950 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Not a big deal at all.

Also, the warranty on the termite treatment transfers with the property. If you purchase the house, and pay the annual fee and have the property inspected, any subsequent damage is covered -- partially or otherwise -- by the warranty.

Have an exterminator inspect the house for damage and any re-infestation. Get a copy of the warranty and make sure it's up to date. If it's not up to date, you can ask the sellers to re-treat the property, which will carry a new warranty.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM

59 posts, read 435,398 times
Not all 'warranties' transfer and contracts may only be good for a certain period of time, most often 5 years and then they will want a new job done to 'renew' the policy. The treatment can be both outside (mainly) but some work may need to be done inside too.(treating plumbing areas)

Here's an article that may help get you started. Termite wise when buying a home- 5 questions to ask the exterminator

Good Luck

Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,794 times
I'm an ex-Termite-Pest Control Technician.
If you live in the south/south east, there is a saying in the industry that there are two kinds of houses in the south: Those that have termites, and those that eventually will! So, don't be alarmed if the home has been treated.
As a matter of fact, most homes in the south have to be treated to get a "clearance letter" for termites before they are sold.
The best termite treatment by far, is the use of sodium borates, or disodium octoborate terahydrate. (I call it DOT) Don't let the technical name scare you, as it's about as toxic as table salt!
As a matter of fact, it's a natural mineral from the salt family. It's basically a form of boric acid that is water soluable, meaning you can mix it with water easily. It has basically no toxic fumes and thus, no odor. Borates mode of action isn't the same as most typical termite treatments.
Most termite treatments in the south are for the subterranean, or below ground termite. So, therefore the typical treatment involves trenching around the perimeter of the home and treating the soil.
Borates are used as a wood treatment, instead of treating the dirt around your home. It renders the wood impenetrable, to not just termites, but almost all wood destroying organisms.
If you've never heard of it, it's because it basically works too good to be profitable for your local Pest Control Company, especially here in the good ole' US. But the companies that care more about Mother Earth than profits are starting to catch on. They've been using borates in Australia and Europe for over 50 years now and it's still working! If your local PC Operator isn't aware of it, or doesn't use it, find one that does.
Besides, it's so easy to apply, any do it yourself homeowner can treat their own home, especially if they have an easily accessible "crawl-space" type construction.
Borates comes in a powder and/or a thick liquid and it is simply mixed with water and sprayed or brushed on bare wood. It can be purchased under various trade-names at any do it yourself type pest control stores, or websites.
I hope this helps!
Good luck

Old 02-05-2024, 06:34 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Don’t confuse termite prevention treatments with treating FOR termites.

Plus, new termite presence, for example the winged stage or even a couple mud channels, doesn’t mean there has been damage yet.

Just have a company do an inspection then preventative treatment if none has been done recently. Then continue with their yearly inspection programs.

I bought one house from an estate where there had been a discovery of damage. The heirs had gone the tenting route but there was fascia board damage that they also had to repair.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:34 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
14 year old thread. Soon it'll be able to drive.

Borates - yes, that was all pretty accurate as preventative. Once there is an infestation, replacement of damaged wood and stronger measures are often needed - sometimes the construction doesn't allow for sure and certain finding all the damage and hiding places. That is where tenting comes in.

Some one else can report the spammer if they want.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:52 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Following up on old threads is encouraged by city-data since it adds to our general information.

So I'm not afraid to do so UNLESS the original thread imagines an issue that no longer exists for anyone. Termite issues will be here as long as we use wood in our buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House